Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2006, 07:57 AM

1 posts, read 4,790 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am an african american woman with 2 small kids. I am relocating to Georgia in the summer and was heavily considering living in Hampton. My job will be transferring me to downtown Atlanta? I researched on mapquest and it said the commute is about 21 miles. Can anyone tell me anything about this place? Is it a good resale market for homes? Is it a diverse and acceptable place for african americans? Any input would be greatly appreciated. I am very confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2006, 10:52 AM

129 posts, read 659,747 times
Hi , I would look in McDonough instead of Hampton, McDonough is much nicer and has ALOT of different price ranges and the schools are better in this part of the county, unless it is in the dutchtown schools, they are new and don't know much about them. good luck

Old 11-10-2006, 01:56 PM

426 posts, read 2,322,741 times
A commute from Hampton into Downtown Atlanta would probably take you AT LEAST an hour. Hampton is on the southern edge of the Metro area and Atlanta traffic going back and fowarth everyday would drive you insane! What made you choose to live in Hampton as opposed to another area of town? If you tell me your price range and what you are looking for in a community, I could help you find somewhere to live within a reasonable commute to Atlanta.

Old 12-09-2006, 04:36 PM

7 posts, read 35,298 times
Smile Hampton in Henry

I currently live in Miami, Florida and decided build a home in Hampton. I visited different counties in Atlanta metro area a few times and I was never satisfied. I didn't like Dekalb county due to the lack of diversity and crime that my friend (lives in Locust Grove) always tells me about. Everyone wants to move to College Park and I'm not sure why. I visited the Camp Creek area (Fulton co.), but the same house I getting built in Hampton was about $30K less. I have 2 friends from Miami living in Locust Grove and they love it; one of them is a military mother of 3. The problem is the traffic, I haven't been there during rush hour, but even on Saturday its congested on 75 around the Stockbridge area. One of my friends works at Atlanta Medical Center and she says it takes about 1hr to 1hr and 15 minutes. Alot of people are moving south to Henry county because the area is nice. One of my co-workers here in Miami has a cousin that moved to McDonough and a friend moved to Hampton. My only complaint is the traffic, but I love the small town feel and all you have to do is hop on 75 and go a few exits to all the good restaurants, shopping, etc. I was surprised to find an outlet mall in Locust Grove (Tanger Outlet). I will probably be moving up by myself early next year until my mom moves up, so my son can finish school in Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta