Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 11:10 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
It's all part of living in the city!
I would say it's part of living anywhere in the metro area.

Folks have just as much right to walk down a suburban street and stop off in somebody's yard for a while as they do within the city limits. Your neighbor is certainly entitled to come over and stand in your yard for 15 minutes if he feels like it. Why shouldn't a stranger have the same right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
Ok - can we define walkability in this context?

Walkability to me is being able to leave your house, and pick up groceries, stop by the drugstore, get a haircut, grab a latte and then jump on the train to go to work. It comes with urban density and you expect to see people you don't know also going about their business. This actually assists with reducing crime, because there are plenty of eyes on the street at all hours.

What you are describing sounds like a stranger on foot walking through your established not necessarily "walkable" neighborhood for some reason or the other that doesn't have to do with the errands of daily life.
Well, we get a good many walkers and joggers around here and I agree with you that it's a good thing. Eyes on the street and all that.

However, most of the walkers and joggers seem to actually be moving. It's less common to see an individual stop for an extended length of time. If it's a group of folks stopping to chat or a runner catching his breath that's easy to understand. Or if there was a bench and someone simply wanted to read a book or catch a nap that makes sense, too. In this case there's just a sidewalk.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:27 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,383,960 times
Yeah - in that case - I would totally treat it as a medical emergency. (We use that trick down here a lot) "Hi there! Are you ok? Do you need me to call 911?" usually moves them right along.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:43 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

Folks have just as much right to walk down a suburban street and stop off in somebody's yard for a while as they do within the city limits. Your neighbor is certainly entitled to come over and stand in your yard for 15 minutes if he feels like it. Why shouldn't a stranger have the same right?
Nope. IN my yard is private property.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Nope. IN my yard is private property.
I understand. I'm just saying folks should have the same rights regardless of whether they are inside the Atlanta city limits.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:25 PM

283 posts, read 360,655 times
Why don't you just call the police and report a suspicious person? Enough calls and I'm sure they would up patrols for a little bit.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:07 PM

119 posts, read 181,883 times
Sounds like you need to move into a gated community.

Problem solved! Never have to worry about random people walking through your street or checking out your house...

Old 07-24-2014, 02:26 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLfromJAX View Post
Sounds like you need to move into a gated community.

Problem solved! Never have to worry about random people walking through your street or checking out your house...
That doesn't work, plus the walls and gates mak you feel like you have less elbow room.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:11 PM

One other thing I've noticed is people stopping in your yard to let their dogs poop.

Is that legit? I've seen folks walking down the street who stop at my yard and encourage their dogs to poop there. Just as plain as day, they're standing there waiting with the leash in their hand while Rex leaves a present on my emerald zoysia.

Even assuming their dogs have the right to poop anywhere they please, shouldn't the owners at least pick it up and haul it away?

Maybe I'm too into the elbow room thing but to me this feels invasive.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:50 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
One other thing I've noticed is people stopping in your yard to let their dogs poop.

Is that legit? I've seen folks walking down the street who stop at my yard and encourage their dogs to poop there. Just as plain as day, they're standing there waiting with the leash in their hand while Rex leaves a present on my emerald zoysia.

Even assuming their dogs have the right to poop anywhere they please, shouldn't the owners at least pick it up and haul it away?

Maybe I'm too into the elbow room thing but to me this feels invasive.

Dogs need a little elbow room, too. You can't expect them to poop in the same spot all the time, so sometimes it gonna be your yard's turn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: