Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 09:32 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,424 times

Advertisements

As a Grant Park resident, this is VERY sad news.

Cyclorama to move from Grant Park to Atlanta History Center | Atlanta Arts and Culture Blog

Grant Park is full of history, and still has one of the only remaining Civil War Forts (Fort Walker) within the City of Atlanta. While the History Center is a logical move for the Cyclorama if there was going to be any move at all, it is upsetting that it is being uprooted from it's home since the 1920's, rather than making it's current location more desirable to visit. Visitors to Grant Park is not a problem, with plenty of tourists going to the Zoo. Their problem was catching those visitors, updating the facilities, and making it another location for tourists to visit when visiting a beautiful historic neighborhood and its amenities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 09:43 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
"The announcement, which has an appraised value of $25 million, is being made by Mayor Kasim Reed at a City Hall press conference Wednesday morning."

Shamefully bad writing, AJC.

I live within walking distance of the Cyclorama, and I personally don't care that it's being moved. I understand, however, that others will see this as a massive loss.

Hopefully the building it's in can be used in a new way that adds value to the experience of visiting Grant Park.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:49 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,876,597 times
i think this really sucks. the painting itself and the building in which it resides are both historical landmarks.

the entrance on cherokee avenue to grant park needs to be completely redesigned. i was hoping the cyclorama's lower attendance would be a catalyst to get that going; i guess not.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:53 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
It makes sense. The History center has an extraordinary collection of Civil war materials.

I wonder if Zoo Atlanta will be able to use the old building?

Old 07-23-2014, 10:00 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
"The announcement, which has an appraised value of $25 million, is being made by Mayor Kasim Reed at a City Hall press conference Wednesday morning."

Shamefully bad writing, AJC.

I live within walking distance of the Cyclorama, and I personally don't care that it's being moved. I understand, however, that others will see this as a massive loss.

Hopefully the building it's in can be used in a new way that adds value to the experience of visiting Grant Park.
I'm within walking distance of it too, and I'm more sad about the loss of a piece of great historical significance (regardless of what that piece is) from our historic neighborhood than the loss of the painting itself. I agree with all of the other points so far listed on this thread - there needs to be a major redesign of the Zoo Entrance on Cherokee to encourage pedestrians to move from Cherokee into that end of the park. I wish the zoo would bury that parking lot (please no above ground parking deck) and expand the zoo or the park into that space. Same on the Boulevard side.

Like you stated, I really hope the building gets put to good use, whether it be by the Zoo or another private entity that can make the changes necessary to draw pedestrians and tourists in. I hope that it doesn't sit their abandoned for months on end, and God forbid, knocked down.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:16 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times
It also should be noted that the locomotive Texas will be moved to the AHC as well.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:17 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,147,380 times
They should leave it in Grant Park, although I can understand wanting to consolidate historical information in one place but it could have stayed there. Maybe the space can be used to liven up Grant Park a bit. Maybe a huge art studio for children and adults. That would be an awesome compliment to the area and a draw.

Or maybe Atlanta Parks can take the area to put in a decent set of arts classes that include pottery spinning wheels. Right now, they are located in Sandy Springs and Chastain. I don't think any other park district locations intown have wheels or kilns.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:22 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,373,878 times
If they are moving it , of course being an Atlanta attraction, they should move it to Centennial Olympic Park.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:37 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,240,118 times
Quote:
Meanwhile, Zoo Atlanta is expected adapt the Grant Park building, renovating space for administrative offices as well as a new events space that will overlook a habitat area for African elephants.
Whooooo

This move does make sense.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:54 AM

7,358 posts, read 6,529,813 times
Let's hope this becomes a win-win. One potential negative effect that hasn't been mentioned yet however is what will this do to the Zoo? I don't know what the tourist-patterns are like, if one takes spillover from the other, but it seems logical to think that overall attendance will be down at Grant Park.
But, hopefully we can turn this into a win by putting another kind of attraction down there. What goes well with a zoo?

[EDIT] Well never mind, the post above me answered this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta