Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 12:25 PM

2 posts, read 35,975 times

Advertisements

My husband is hispanic and I am white and we were thinking of making a move from Arizona to Georgia, specifically Acworth. My husband is concerned about any prejudice we might face and I was wondering if anyone can tell me what to expect. Is there a lot of racism? Do interracial couples have a harder time in Georgia than other places in the U.S.? I would appreciate any feedback.
Thanks,
Rachel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2006, 12:53 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,889,552 times
Hello Rachel -

I lived in Atlanta for 5+ yrs. Lots of mixed couples there, mainly black men/white women, but there is also an Hispanic (mainly Mexican) population there, too & I did live in Marietta near mixed couples of all sorts, including white men/Asian women.

Not sure where you're moving from, but do a search on the GA board RE: northerns moving south. Some are not finding it the most friendly, so you may experience a bit of that & it's not necessarily that you're mixed, but outsiders. I didn't find it the most accepting place, as I'm a "yankee" & not a church goer or Baptist. I'm Catholic & perhaps your husband/you are, too? That can be a sticky point, in some areas/circles. It may depend on where you'll both work/go for recreation/how much you want to associate with community? You'd need to supply a bit of a "bio" so we can help you further.

Also, it depends on your neighborhood. I'm talking more about white people not being accepting of other whites. I lived in Marietta in a black neighborhood when I first arrived (I'm a white woman) & no one gave me a hard time, but there was alot more crime/violence in my complex, than when I moved into a white areas. However, those white areas (Woodstock, Roswell) weren't very kind to outsiders, in general. That was my experience. You may find it friendlier.

The Atlanta area is 80% black. I don't know white/Hispanic stats, but do some research on Acworth (google "Hispanic Acworth" for a start, or "Acworth mixed couples"). It will lead to other things. Atlanta's a beautiful city, but like any other large city, it has it's pros/cons. It's got beautiful weather, lower cost of living/food/rent for Boston/L.A./Seattle, for example. I liked the food, nightlife (I was just 30 when I lived there), arts, Chastain Park, walking on the river, etc. If people had been more accepting, I wouldn't have left, or at least, would have stayed longer.

Again, use the search feature (upper righthand side) to find alot of answers to the questions you have.

Best of luck to you both... Baltic_Celt

Old 10-29-2006, 01:15 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,340,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltic_Celt View Post
The Atlanta area is 80% black.
Where do you get that stat? I find it a little hard to believe although I can't find any stats for the entire metro area.

Old 10-29-2006, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxman777 View Post
Where do you get that stat? I find it a little hard to believe although I can't find any stats for the entire metro area.

Places Rated Almanac lists the black population as 71%, prior to 2000. Wikipedia lists it as 61.39% in the year 2000. Findarticles.com lists it as "the largest black population in the U.S., edging out NYC" without listing #'s or %'s. A 2006 NY Times article listed metro Atlanta as declining from almost 90% to 75% in 2000. The article mentioned non-Hispanic blacks in its stats. Perhaps this accounts for discrepancies in stats, whether it separates those with Hispanic/African American blood from strictly African Americans? Never thought about that before.

In 2005/6, I've read "over 80%". It was probably in the Atlanta Constitution or Boston Globe, but I didn't search online. As you're questioning it, perhaps you can find otherwise? I quoted what I last saw, assuming it was correct. Can't believe everything you read, but in the few minutes that I googled, I didn't find anything past 2000. Perhaps if you search thru the aforementioned newspapers, you'll find what you need. I am, although curious as to why you find it hard to believe, if you can't find figures? Interesting.

Old 10-29-2006, 03:02 PM

985 posts, read 5,757,044 times
I think that's misleading. The city of Atlanta is very small, only 416,000. The better indicator is Atlanta MSA (4.5 millions), according to 2003 US census, 62% are white.

Gwinnett county is most racial diversity and nationalities diversity in the atlanta MSA. I recommend West Norcross, Duluth (around Peachtree industrial side) and Suwanee (around Sugarloaf country club area). If you got money, John Creek's (old Fulton side of Duluth) is pretty nice too.

Last edited by jxu66; 10-29-2006 at 03:31 PM..

Old 10-29-2006, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltic_Celt View Post
Places Rated Almanac lists the black population as 71%, prior to 2000. Wikipedia lists it as 61.39% in the year 2000. Findarticles.com lists it as "the largest black population in the U.S., edging out NYC" without listing #'s or %'s. A 2006 NY Times article listed metro Atlanta as declining from almost 90% to 75% in 2000. The article mentioned non-Hispanic blacks in its stats. Perhaps this accounts for discrepancies in stats, whether it separates those with Hispanic/African American blood from strictly African Americans? Never thought about that before.

In 2005/6, I've read "over 80%". It was probably in the Atlanta Constitution or Boston Globe, but I didn't search online. As you're questioning it, perhaps you can find otherwise? I quoted what I last saw, assuming it was correct. Can't believe everything you read, but in the few minutes that I googled, I didn't find anything past 2000. Perhaps if you search thru the aforementioned newspapers, you'll find what you need. I am, although curious as to why you find it hard to believe, if you can't find figures? Interesting.

Well I the reason I couldn't find figures is because I only spent about 30 seconds looking for info. The reason I found it hard to believe was by simply thinking about it, it just doesn't seem right. The 80% black for the area would mean only 20% of people in the Atlanta area are non-black. That would mean 4 out of every 5 people you see everyday would be black. I'm sorry but this just doesn't seem right. I just don't see that many black people. You lived in the Atlanta area, do you remember the mass majority of people you meet being black? If so I guess we have had different experiences.

Now on the other hand the articles you are talking about seem pretty accurate but some aren't refering to the Atlanta area. For instance the wikipedia article about Atlanta says 61%. The US census seems to back that number up so I think it is probably pretty accurate. But 61% is only for Atlanta. Not the Atlanta area which is what you were talking about. The article saying Atlanta has one of the largest black populations is also probably accurate. However, this article is refering to the Atlanta area but Atlanta is also one of the largest metro areas in the US (currently 9th according to the census) so you would expect it to have a large black and probably a large white, hispanic, asian, etc. population also. That article doesn't tell you anything about the percentages. I looking around a little more and most numbers seem to hover right around a 30% black population for the area. The US census puts the 2003 estimate at 29.03%. These numbers seem a little better to me, what do you think?

http://www.census.gov/acs/www/Products/Profiles/Chg/2003/ACS/Tabular/380/38000US05201.htm (broken link)

Old 10-29-2006, 03:43 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,391,026 times
The American Factfinder subset of the Census Bureau's webpage gives detailed demographic profiles of states, counties, metro areas, and cities with a population of over 65,000. The data is from mid-July 2005. It's data shows the city of Atlanta as being 58.6% Black, 4.7% Hispanic, 2.0% Asian and 1.1% Multiracial. The Atlanta Metro area as a whole is approximately 57% White, 30% Black, 9% Hispanic and 4% Asian.

http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...t=fph&pgsl=010

http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...elect&-format=

As far as the original question posted in this thread, I have to say that during my time in Atlanta I was surprised by just how few interracial couples I saw. I have no idea if statistics back up my perceptions, but generally it seemed to me (as unscientific as this is) if you were to walk into a mall, which generally offers a good broad cross-section of a community, out of every 100 couples I'd see, maybe four or five in Atlanta would be interracial couples (usually black man/white woman or white man/Asian woman) whereas where I live now in the DC area, I'd say probably 20-25 couples out of 100 I'd pass are interracial. Again, this is just my own perception, but the dearth of interracial couples it was noticeable to me. In fact, I rarely ever notice interracial couples elsewhere but while in Atlanta, it would catch my eye just because it wasn't that common of a sight. Now whether or not these couples encounter prejudice or stares and such, I can't really say. Well, stares and hushed whispers in some quarters I'm sure, but whether this leads to actual mistreatment and prejudice, I'm not certain. I would hope not but I can't say for sure. I was single for the duration of my time down there so I can't speak from experience but I went out on a non-romantic dinner date with a co-worker once (I'm white, she's black) to a restaurant where the patrons were predominantly black and "felt" quite a few stares. As a whole, I actually found Atlanta to be fairly socially segregated. People live and work and go to school together, which is good, but when you see people out with their friends at the movies or a restaurant or a "girls night out", it seemed that they were almost always with people of the same race.

Old 10-29-2006, 04:16 PM

Hello -

Re: "The 80% black for the area would mean only 20% of people in the Atlanta area are non-black. That would mean 4 out of every 5 people you see everyday would be black. I'm sorry but this just doesn't seem right. I just don't see that many black people. You lived in the Atlanta area, do you remember the mass majority of people you meet being black? If so I guess we have had different experiences."

4 out of 5? No. 3 out of 5? Yes. Depends on where you live & where you work & where you go for recreation & your friends, I suppose.

1. When I lived in Marietta (Franklin Rd.), several hundred apts in my complex were occupied by blacks. There was 1 "white bldg" with 8 units. How many total units? I don't know, but it was close to 300. Where I worked in Marietta, yes, 4 out of 5 were blacks. Nightlife? I lived in a predominately black area, anywhere I went was predominately black.

2. When I lived on the border of Marietta/Woodstock, the subdivision where I lived, the above #'s were reversed. Where I worked in downtown Atlanta, 3 out of 5 I saw/worked with, I'd say as a rough figure, were black. Perhaps 4 out of 5, now that I think of it. 80-ish employees total, since you seem to like #'s & %'s. 20-ish were gay, for a further figure.

3. When living in Roswell, the figures in #2 as to where I lived, were the same. The figures in #2 as to where I worked, were the same. I then moved to a job where I worked only with Asians & I was the only white. What's the % of Asians in Atlanta? I don't know. Total 20 employees at that job. My last job was with Hispanic/Asian women & I was 1 of 2 white women. 10 employees total, if that makes a difference to you. How many Hispanics in Atlanta? I don't know.

So, overall, I came across more blacks in Atlanta, during my 5-6 yrs in living there. As for working, I worked at most jobs with either blacks/Asians & several jobs with mainly whites -by 80% I'd say. As far as nightlife, it was normally a mixed crowd, I'd say 60% white.

Re: "Now on the other hand the articles you are talking about seem pretty accurate but some aren't refering to the Atlanta area. For instance the wikipedia article about Atlanta says 61%. The US census seems to back that number up so I think it is probably pretty accurate. But 61% is only for Atlanta. Not the Atlanta area which is what you were talking about."

Honestly, I don't understand. I'm "accurate", but "not talking about the same Atlanta area"? I don't understand what you're saying, so can't respond. Those statements are confusing to me. You'd have to explain what the difference is between Atlanta & Atlanta area & how I'm accurate but not. Figures aren't my opinions/thoughts, but what I read.

Re: "I looking around a little more and most numbers seem to hover right around a 30% black population for the area. The US census puts the 2003 estimate at 29.03%. These numbers seem a little better to me, what do you think?"

I never saw anything that said 30%, but if you're using census figures, then I'd say that's accurate. Never saw any figure below the 61% in wikipedia.

I hope we're done now! You can see how resources differ, no? Find the newspaper articles I referenced from 2005/6 which listed 80%. Again, go with the census figures, I guess?

Nonetheless, Rachel asked about a mixed couple (Hispanic husband/white wife). I was trying to be helpful. I have a headache. I'm not touching this one. You guys take over... please... Hope we didn't chase her clean off the board!

Cheers, then... Baltic_Celt

Old 10-29-2006, 04:33 PM

Rachel -

I did find this info, should it be helpful. If you care to read the whole article, the link is "http://www2.asanet.org/footnotes/jan03/indextwo.html". Hopefully, local Hispanics or interracial couples can provide further insight.

Best of luck with your research...

"Prior to 1990 the Latino and Asian populations were relatively small. This is no longer the case. In 2002 there were close to 500,000 Latinos and these numbers are thought to be significantly larger due to underreporting. Latino immigration has transformed the region in a number of ways. The residential and commercial real estate boom of the last decade would not have been possible without the influx of Latino laborers. The result has been a growing Latino presence in city and state politics and Latino-run businesses. The recent state elections put a number Latinos in the state house and on various city councils. The black-white dichotomy that has historically defined Atlanta politics is triangulating to include the political, cultural, and economic concerns of Latinos. The ranks of Atlanta’s Asian population have swelled to double their numbers a decade ago to over 175,000 residents."

Old 10-29-2006, 08:29 PM

Actually 3 out of 5 would be 60%. Do the math. 3/5 = 0.6 or 60%. 4/5 = 0.8 or 80%. 3 out of 5 would work for the 61% from the Wikipedia article but those weren’t the numbers which were originally stated.

There are a lot of facts and figures thrown around and people need to understand what they are referring to or they can get the wrong impression about a place. If we are giving people relocating info I think it is important to give them as accurate of a picture we can so it’s important that people really understand these numbers.

Most of the articles which I have seen only refer to the actual city of Atlanta. The city of Atlanta is about 450,000 people or about 1/10 the size of the metro area. For example the Wikipedia article that says 61% is only talking about the city of Atlanta which isn’t very representative of the Atlanta area which most people relocating are interested in. When somebody says the Atlanta area they are usually talking about an area that includes at least Fulton, DeKalb, Cobb, Gwinnett and Clayton Counties and usually several more. This area has about 4.5 million people. Long story short: Atlanta means city of Atlanta, Atlanta area means metro area.

I’m not saying there aren’t a lot of blacks in Atlanta, but it is a little more diverse then 80%. Of course it matters what part of town you are in, some parts are probably above 80%, but most are going to be below.

About the original question, Atlanta is traditionally a very segregated city. The different races seem to get along very well but for the most part they choose to live in different areas. You shouldn’t have much trouble fitting in but you aren’t likely to have a lot of diversity in your neighborhood. You are going to find a lot more diversity in Gwinnett County. North Fulton or parts of DeKalb can be pretty mixed also but Cobb County as a whole has much less mixing within communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta