Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 07:03 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times

Advertisements

Ohh god really yall?

Old 12-11-2014, 09:23 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,383,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Well talk to some blaack Canadians,Try being black in a city like Seattle or Vancover.If you aint Asian or white it can be difficult to connect culturally.
I have had people of other races come up to me talking slang and saying "my brother" and Its annoyoing as hell because that aint me.I dont even talk like that to other blacks!Yes Im proud to be black but who says that all black people talk or greet each other that way?I dont and no one in my family does.

I understand what you are saying.

I haave friends who are Chinee Korean,Indian,Bangladesh etc.
Oneof my closest friends is of Indian heritage.Amother is Bangladesh but grew up in Canada and the U.S.
They love it here and have never expressed any of the things you have.At least not in a negative light.

I know some of what you say is true but those things are true in almost every city I have ever lived.The differennce is which group is getting the negatve vibes in each city.
Atlanta is a smaller city so it will be more noticeable.Also because it is the geographic center of the entire region where people come from small towns all over the South

Ok - since I jumped on LovinDecatur, I guess I will have to jump on you too.

Could I please be allowed to have my own opinion, based on my experiences, without you trying to explain it away? I would not dream of doing that to you. And really - why the compulsion to minimize someone else's perceptions anyway? I think you need to ask yourself why you would be so invested in that. That's "white privilege" too. ;-)

Old 12-11-2014, 09:31 AM

Just to play an object lesson game let's try this on and tell me how it works:

Quote:
Well talk to some white people. Try being white in the SWATS or East Point. If you ain't Black it can be difficult to connect culturally.

I have had people of other races come up to me talking slang and saying "dude" and Its annoyoing as hell because that aint me.I dont even talk like that to other whites! Yes Im proud to be white but who says that all white people talk or greet each other that way?I dont and no one in my family does.

I understand what you are saying.

I haave friends who are Black.
One of my closest friends is a black person.Another is Mexican but grew up in Canada and the U.S.
They love it here and have never expressed any of the things you have. At least not in a negative light.
If you were trying to make a point about how you felt as a black man (you are a black man, right?) and this was what was said to you tell me it wouldn't irk you.

(And I'm not picking on white people, before anyone gets offended - just pointing out that patronizing someone different isn't necessarily just a "white people" thing.)

Old 12-11-2014, 09:44 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
Just to play an object lesson game let's try this on and tell me how it works:

If you were trying to make a point about how you felt as a black man (you are a black man, right?) and this was what was said to you tell me it wouldn't irk you.

(And I'm not picking on white people, before anyone gets offended - just pointing out that patronizing someone different isn't necessarily just a "white people" thing.)
???
That example I gave is to show that people should not expect anybody to act or behave in any manner based on sterotypes.
As a minority,no one expects you be different than the sterotype they associate you with.Whites dont have to deal with that because their culture is the mainststream and it is what all races that are minority adopt to some degree.
OMG!Did you not understand that I said "there some truth to what you saiid"?Why do you think I gave that example?

The other situation i gave were ust to show that there are people similar to you that have different opinions.Im sorry YOU felt threatended becuae I said that.
Is it possible that you could be right and other people could be right about their experiences too?

I dont expect anything from anybody except for them to treat me with respect.that does not change regardless of what racial makeup that sis

I beginning to see why you encounter such behavior...

Old 12-11-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
???
That example I gave is to show that people should not expect anybody to act or behave in any manner based on sterotypes.
As a minority,no one expects you be different than the sterotype they associate you with.Whites dont have to deal with that because their culture is the mainststream and it is what all races that are minority adopt to some degree.
OMG!Did you not understand that I said "there some truth to what you saiid"?Why do you think I gave that example?

The other situation i gave were ust to show that there are people similar to you that have different opinions.Im sorry YOU felt threatended becuae I said that.
Is it possible that you could be right and other people could be right about their experiences too?

I dont expect anything from anybody except for them to treat me with respect.that does not change regardless of what racial makeup that sis

I beginning to see why you encounter such behavior...

I don't feel threatened in the least. I just find it curious that a simple comment that Atlanta is very "black" and "white" has some folks spun up and trying to explain to me how my observation is nowhere close to the truth.

Like I said before - it makes me understand a little better now, how my black friends feel when race as they feel it, is casually explained away. This has proven enlightening.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
I don't feel threatened in the least. I just find it curious that a simple comment that Atlanta is very "black" and "white" has some folks spun up and trying to explain to me how my observation is nowhere close to the truth.

Like I said before - it makes me understand a little better now, how my black friends feel when race as they feel it, is casually explained away. This has proven enlightening.
So when you "casualy" made that comment I suppose your expectation was that everyone would agree with you?Now that you see everyone does not,you feel like you are being attacked.

How can you blame us when obviously we dont agree completely with that basic premise of your statement?

To be fair ,I NEVER said that you were incorrrect,I just gave my experiences to justify why I disagree with you.You sound like you were threatened by that because automatically you got defensive when I never even attacked your comment.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
So when you "casualy" made that comment I suppose your expectation was that everyone would agree with you?Now that you see everyone does not,you feel like you are being attacked.

How can you blame us when obviously we dont agree completely with that basic premise of your statement?

To be fair ,I NEVER said that you were incorrrect,I just gave my experiences to justify why I disagree with you.You sound like you were threatened by that because automatically you got defensive when I never even attacked your comment.
I think you are projecting.

I had no expectations one way or the other - my comment was an observation...it wasn't supposed to become some weird "thing". I don't have a problem with you disagreeing....that's fine. My issue with you trying to convince me that I am wrong and/or trying to negate me/my comments as some others did, because of a perceived "negative". One that they do not fully understand to begin with. I don't need you to do that. And why exactly would I have an expectation that you would understand, unless you have specifically walked in my shoes? I can explain until I'm blue in the face, but as long as you try to explain to ME why MY experience (on that you have not specifically had) isn't accurate, I just kind of have to laugh. Because again - it's patronizing.

And on top of that, now you are here tying to tell me how I obviously must feel. Despite me telling you that was not the case.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
I think you are projecting.

I had no expectations one way or the other - my comment was an observation...it wasn't supposed to become some weird "thing". I don't have a problem with you disagreeing....that's fine. My issue with you trying to convince me that I am wrong and/or trying to negate me/my comments as some others did, because of a perceived "negative". One that they do not fully understand to begin with. I don't need you to do that. And why exactly would I have an expectation that you would understand, unless you have specifically walked in my shoes? I can explain until I'm blue in the face, but as long as you try to explain to ME why MY experience (on that you have not specifically had) isn't accurate, I just kind of have to laugh. Because again - it's patronizing.

And on top of that, now you are here tying to tell me how I obviously must feel. Despite me telling you that was not the case.
I said in my previous post "I understand" and that there was some" truth in what you say".Now how is that not accepting your point of view?
Obviously I do understand because although it has not happened to me any more than any other place,it has happened to me.

I added those examples as how I and people in my circle pecieve things that are similar to you.YOU did take offense to that as though it negated everything you said.So YES you do come across as wanting people to hear what you have to say and then have us ust be quiet about it.

If you have an issue with someone who did not accept what you had to say,then I suggest you go off on them and leav me alone because I did no such thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta