Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 04:44 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,822,569 times

Advertisements

I started to ask but decided to google how much minimum wage was in Georgia: State Minimum Wages | 2014 Minimum Wage by State

$5.15?!? I might have sat down in the middle of the street too if all i was bringing home was just over $10K a year. You can't live here off that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 04:47 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famlife View Post
I don't know... I think that if they want a living wage, they should advance their career. Maybe I'm alone in this. I seem to represent unpopular opinion lately.
No, you are not alone.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:59 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,822,569 times
When i circled back and scrolled through the list before closing the link, I noticed Georgia and Wyoming have the lowest state minimum wages. Given the cost of living in Atlanta, that's just crazy.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:27 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
If it were possible, I think it might make more sense to find a way for the government to subsidize low wages, instead of institute a minimum wage increase. While the costs would be about the same, it would be less likely to kill low wage jobs, and might make American businesses better able to compete with lower wage countries without having our workers take home pay decrease. (Yes, it would make taxes go up, but the consumer also pays for a minimum wage increase paid by employers, and at least this could lead to more people working).
Is the government your answer to fix everything? This country is going down the tubes because of government fixing things!.....

Old 09-05-2014, 05:30 AM

559 posts, read 832,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
I started to ask but decided to google how much minimum wage was in Georgia: State Minimum Wages | 2014 Minimum Wage by State

$5.15?!? I might have sat down in the middle of the street too if all i was bringing home was just over $10K a year. You can't live here off that.
That's not true. Federal minimum wage is $7.25.

Paying unskilled, untrained workers $15/hr is absolute lunacy and recipe for economic disaster.

I could see a raise to $8 or even $9. I never hire anyone below $13/hr . . . for several reasons.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:40 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,831,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Is the government your answer to fix everything? This country is going down the tubes because of government fixing things!.....
Walmart and Fast Food are the biggest welfare queens in the entire country. They've realized they can outsource a large chunk of their payroll and benefits to Uncle Sam by keeping wages and hours low, forcing their employees to rely partially on government assistance.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:49 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,562,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
If it were possible, I think it might make more sense to find a way for the government to subsidize low wages...
This is already happening to the tune of $7 billion of public assistance. McDonalds workers, alone, account for $1.2b.

Fast-Food Wages Come With a $7 Billion Side of Public Assistance - Businessweek

Old 09-05-2014, 08:53 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,994 times
Get used to it. This is the age of capital, and labor (especially unskilled labor) will become increasingly worthless. Wages are low because there is abundant supply and very low demand for labor. Neither sitting in the street with a sign nor telling folks to "get a better job" is going to change it. Our economic system is working as intended.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:04 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,786,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
No, I do not think that the government should fix everything. But the government should protect industries that are vital to Nation's well-being. Without huge subsides Japan would not be able to farm rice that could be sold at a price even close to what it could be imported for, but Japan recognizes that it is in their interest to have the ability to feed their own-so they pay their farmers huge subsidies and tax foreign rice. No mater how productive the American worker is, it is impossible to compete in manufacturing with China, India and elsewhere at an American wage without subsidies. Shouldn't worker subsidies at least be considered to preserve our manufacturing base?

Old 09-05-2014, 09:37 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
If you pay unskilled people $15 per hour form their $10 and someone with a skill stays at $20, what's the incentive to better yourself to get to $20?
The incentive is that the $20 isn't the ceiling. From there you can get to management, then to the corporate office, ownership of your own busienss, etc. Pay people with no skills $15 isn't going to prevent those with skills and ambition from achieveing greater success.

By the way, there's a big difference between $15 and hour and $20 an hour. If you're a full time employee, that's an extra $10k per year. That in itself is a major incentive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: