Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 06:33 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I thought this board was mostly dismissive about the SAT. And these posts by chef are veiled digs at GSU.

But my question still stands, what has Georgia Tech achieved of great significance? It seems to be mostly image than substance.
Just because you haven't heard of them, doesn't mean products haven't come out of GT that are of a great significance in their fields. You heard if the polio vaccine because it's something that you get directly, but for what reason would you hear about a device used only in the medical field, or a discovery used only by civil engineers? Devices like these can have just as much impact on our society without you using or receiving them directly. For example, biomedical engineering at Tech has produced a huge number of medical devices that help shape the advancing medical field in this country, such as robotic instrumentations, surgical instruments, etc. Products or ideas in these areas can be and are huge for the healthcare industry, but not something you would recognize.

In regards to the polio vaccine, it may have come out of Pitt, but would not have been successful without the CDC and Emory. It is the people from these institutions who actually eradicated polio, with the help of the vaccine. Inventions, products, and ideas aren't created in a vacuum, they are collaborative academic activities that are successful because of a number of people with various skills making them work. If something is invented at Tech, it might take someone from another university using it in an innovative way to make it a success, and vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 09:00 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
Just because you haven't heard of them, doesn't mean products haven't come out of GT that are of a great significance in their fields. You heard if the polio vaccine because it's something that you get directly, but for what reason would you hear about a device used only in the medical field, or a discovery used only by civil engineers? Devices like these can have just as much impact on our society without you using or receiving them directly. For example, biomedical engineering at Tech has produced a huge number of medical devices that help shape the advancing medical field in this country, such as robotic instrumentations, surgical instruments, etc. Products or ideas in these areas can be and are huge for the healthcare industry, but not something you would recognize.
Which is why I mentioned fractal antennas from Boston University. They are quite an innovation that affects all our lives. But if GT has any hidden innovations that have changed our lives...let's hear'em. GT certainly isn't tooting its own horn. Tech ran a series of radio ads about stuff about to come out of its labs along with the Ramblin' Wreck fight song, but as yet I've heard about none of them. Tech was bragging in one ad about how they can detect a cancer cell in blood and that would be a GT innovation. Well Johnson & Johnson with Harvard beat them to it.

A New Blood Test To Detect Cancer Could Be Coming To Your Doctor's Office

Quote:
In regards to the polio vaccine, it may have come out of Pitt, but would not have been successful without the CDC and Emory. It is the people from these institutions who actually eradicated polio, with the help of the vaccine. Inventions, products, and ideas aren't created in a vacuum, they are collaborative academic activities that are successful because of a number of people with various skills making them work. If something is invented at Tech, it might take someone from another university using it in an innovative way to make it a success, and vice versa.
But Salk knew what he was doing and the objective. It didn't require Emory to say "Hey, this stuff can fight agaisnt Polio!" Salk: "Really?, what a knucklehead I am! Never would have guessed" So has Emory been trying to take some of the credit?

Last edited by MathmanMathman; 10-28-2014 at 09:24 AM..

Old 10-28-2014, 09:18 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,424 times
Quote:
Which is why I mentioned fractal antennas from Boston University. They are quite an innovation that affects all our lives. But if GT has any hidden innovations that have changed our lives...let's hear'em. GT certainly isn't tooting its own horn. Tech ran a series of radio ads about stuff about to come out of its labs along with the Ramblin' Wreck fight song, but as yet I've heard about none of them. Tech was bragging in one ad about how they can detect a cancer cell in blood and that would be a GT innovation. Well Johnson & Johnson with Harvard beat them to it.

A New Blood Test To Detect Cancer Could Be Coming To Your Doctor's Office

But Salk knew what he was doing and the objective. It didn't require Emory to say "Hey, this stuff can fight agaisnt Polio!" Salk: "Really?, what a knucklehead I am! Never would have guessed" So has Emory been trying to take some of the credit?
No amount of logic will make you admit that a lot of good things come out of GT, including important patents and products that help to improve our society. There are multiple examples of this, and luckily, your opinion doesn't really make their successes any less valid in the academic world. In addition to the couple of examples I previously provided, a simple google search of InVenture awards, searches of patents coming out of each department, GT developed products, the GT Daily Digest, etc. would yield the results you are looking for. Whether you think they are big and important or not doesn't really matter.

In regards to Emory, no - nobody is trying to take credit. I was merely stating that it takes collaboration to make a product successful, oftentimes from multiple universities. Without people who are at Emory and the CDC to create successful interventions to distribute the polio vaccine, polio wouldn't be eradicated. It doesn't matter if the vaccine was there or not - and vice versa, without the vaccine, there would be no intervention that led to eradication. You kept bringing up Pitt and polio, so I needed to expand your knowledge a bit to realize that there were multiple players in that specific example that led to eradication, and one of those players does happen to be in the dreadful and intellectually dead (in your opinion) city of Atlanta.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
No amount of logic will make you admit that a lot of good things come out of GT, including important patents and products that help to improve our society. There are multiple examples of this, and luckily, your opinion doesn't really make their successes any less valid in the academic world. In addition to the couple of examples I previously provided, a simple google search of InVenture awards, searches of patents coming out of each department, GT developed products, the GT Daily Digest, etc. would yield the results you are looking for. Whether you think they are big and important or not doesn't really matter.
Hey...logic is my business. I'm asking for highly significant stuff. Tech has had over 100 years to show just one "wow" thing.

Quote:
In regards to Emory, no - nobody is trying to take credit. I was merely stating that it takes collaboration to make a product successful, oftentimes from multiple universities. Without people who are at Emory and the CDC to create successful interventions to distribute the polio vaccine, polio wouldn't be eradicated. It doesn't matter if the vaccine was there or not - and vice versa, without the vaccine, there would be no intervention that led to eradication. You kept bringing up Pitt and polio, so I needed to expand your knowledge a bit to realize that there were multiple players in that specific example that led to eradication, and one of those players does happen to be in the dreadful and intellectually dead (in your opinion) city of Atlanta.
Just asking what has any school, in particular GT, done that's a big deal. Pitt has every right to be proud of its place in eradicating Polio. GT thinks it's a big deal; they just need to back it up with some big accomplishments...besides its latests rankings in US News or the football polls.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:22 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,378,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
"Smartest" is difficult to quantify. Even IQ tests have their fault, but this is impressive.

I didn't know Georgia Tech had a higher average SAT score than UC-Berkely, Michigan, UVA and UCLA... truly the best public school for the programs offered there.

If we didn't have Atlanta, Georgia would be Alabama. If we didn't have Georgia Tech, we probably wouldn't have the Atlanta. Indeed, Georgia Tech was made by taking engineering programs at UGA and bringing them to Atlanta to spur economic development. If thy didn't do that would-be Georgia Tech grads would probably be like Paul Broun.

Go Jackets!

UGA is also 33rd on the list ahead of Virginia Tech, University of Washington, NCSU, Rutgers, Colorado.

We also have Georgia College & State University on the list at 95th.

Smartest Public Colleges In America - Business Insider
Well, you have to give Georgia's and the city of Atlanta's past leaders credit for the decisions they made that ensured the success of the Atlanta area... When the south's rail network was being laid, Georgia didn't know which town would benefit the most. However, the railroad company wanted Decatur. The city of Decatur didn't want it. When the spike was driven into the ground east of the Chattahoochee, it was woods. The little settlement that grew around that turned into a town eventually. The city of Atlanta was a CREATED city purely by accident... But everyone then knew that railroads were the keys to the future and Atlanta was made the hub of the south's rail networks. So important were railroads as a guarantee of growth, the state capital was moved. This virtually guaranteed prosperity with the stability of government. With railroads came industry and distribution. Then the state's and the city's leaders made Atlanta a hub of highways. Then they made it a hub of air travel. Atlanta was created by accident because Decatur said no, but it's subsequent development was plotted by everyone once they saw they had a winner.

As for Alabama, it was once much more successful. Birmingham was known as the Pittsburgh of the south and grew enormously. No one predicted the U.S. steel industry would be devastated or that automation would take away so many jobs. However, Alabama is not just some backwoods nothing. Huntsville is rocket city USA, is a center of research and development, and is experiencing rapid growth. Mobile is a cultural treasure that some find superior to New Orleans. I would say that Huntsville is shaping up to be Alabama's future metropolis and may be the key to the state's health the way Atlanta is to Georgia.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:43 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,414,997 times
Quote:
Like most Tech grads, I go out to the highest bidder. I don't think Tech is holding its talent in Atlanta as most of the people I knew there went out-of-state so my leaving is not the exception but the rule among Techsters.
I don't give a **** where you moved to. I have a problem with your illogical trolling about Tech and Atlanta.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Guys, I think Mathman's posts actually are beneficial - they make us be a bit more introspective. That's a good thing.
Except when they are entirely devoid of logic.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Hey...logic is my business. I'm asking for highly significant stuff. Tech has had over 100 years to show just one "wow" thing.
As I already point out to you, they've had more than one, but most good research doesn't produce colossal advancements in a short period. Good research is almost always incremental, slowly building on what has come before, refining, and improving it.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:28 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,035,578 times
Quote:
I thought this board was mostly dismissive about the SAT. And these posts by chef are veiled digs at GSU.

But my question still stands, what has Georgia Tech achieved of great significance? It seems to be mostly image than substance.
GT grad here.

What kind of answer do you want to your question? A list of inventions? A list of nobel prize winners? A list of notable alumni? A list of the type of research done there?

Your question is really, really strange. What kind of answer would you expect for the same question asked about Yale, Rice, Cal Tech, Emory, etc? I don't think there is a good objective way to answer your question about any college, except perhaps to look at what their graduates accomplish or where they end up.

As for image over substance, most colleges definitely have more image than substance. At the end of the day, a learning environment is just an environment and it is the students, faculty and staff that make the magic happen.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
GT grad here.

What kind of answer do you want to your question? A list of inventions? A list of nobel prize winners? A list of notable alumni? A list of the type of research done there?

Your question is really, really strange. What kind of answer would you expect for the same question asked about Yale, Rice, Cal Tech, Emory, etc? I don't think there is a good objective way to answer your question about any college, except perhaps to look at what their graduates accomplish or where they end up.

As for image over substance, most colleges definitely have more image than substance. At the end of the day, a learning environment is just an environment and it is the students, faculty and staff that make the magic happen.
I'd almost accept magic if Tech had any.

Just some major accomplishment GT can point to. I'd accept a Nobel Prize as it recognizes an accomplishment in what might be a bit too esoteric for a layman to understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta