Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 03:21 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,415,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
Hear Hear!

He is a TROLL and nothing more... Why it's allowed is beyond me. The monitors need to take action. People who do nothing but post immature attacks, slams, knocks, and negative drivel are contributing nothing worthwhile to the debate or conversation. There is a MAJOR difference in constructive criticism (or even just criticism), alternative viewpoints, and debate. Near constant scathing, monotonous criticism, and attempts to do nothing but negate another are not appropriate and should be curtailed by suspension of posting in that particular forum with a warning. This should be followed by bans if they return with the same bologny.
Something tells me he's trying to get a rise out of folks. Looks like he's been pretty successful. Just ignore him if it is upsetting. Or, try to find some humor or kernels of truth in his comments and challenges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 04:26 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,041,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I'd almost accept magic if Tech had any.

Just some major accomplishment GT can point to. I'd accept a Nobel Prize as it recognizes an accomplishment in what might be a bit too esoteric for a layman to understand.
Hmm. Alright. Here are two Nobel Laureates - List of Georgia Institute of Technology alumni - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Instead of trying to convince you myself, I will refer you to sources who use their own methodology to rank research institutions.
http://mup.asu.edu/research2012.pdf
World University Rankings - 2014 | Argentina Universities in Top 500 universities | Academic Ranking of World Universities - 2014 | Shanghai Ranking - 2014
National University Rankings | Top National Universities | US News Best Colleges | page 4

Old 10-28-2014, 04:49 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,380,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Something tells me he's trying to get a rise out of folks. Looks like he's been pretty successful. Just ignore him if it is upsetting. Or, try to find some humor or kernels of truth in his comments and challenges.
Yes, that's exactly what he is doing. It's called TROLLING. The civilized cannot be expected to always just take it. You can't ignore a troll that's in EVERY SINGLE THREAD with the same drivel and doggerel. There is no "truth" or "humor" to speak of in it. Every forum has standards of decorum. Trolling is generally frowned upon at most. There is no such thing as total free speech even in this country. You can't shout "I'm gonna kill Jews" or you will be arrested. There's a time and place for everyone's opinion but there's also restrictions on how and where you express it... Court rulings have upheld the right of restrictions on free speech when they rule designated protest areas are constitutional. The courts have also upheld laws that have restricted the biggest trolls in the universe, Westboro Baptist Church, to significant distances from PRIVATE funerals. Action can definitely be taken to curtail despicable trolls.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:26 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,146,298 times
^ Hey, I'm not shouting "Fire" in a theater. Just asking, what has Tech done of significance? No one is getting hurt other than some local pride. There are no Nobel Laureates among Tech's faculty so is Tech really all that? Emory bought theirs but I think they've all been Peace Prize winners.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
No...none of this "stuff done after they left Tech" stuff. Done at Tech as a student or faculty. And one of those Nobels was for Peace...no science.

Yeah yeah...rankings rankings. But what has been actually achieved?

Last edited by MathmanMathman; 10-28-2014 at 06:12 PM..

Old 10-28-2014, 06:02 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,134,017 times

Old 10-28-2014, 06:11 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,431,487 times
Quote:
The word minimum seems to work.

Pitt can point to the polio vaccine. Boston University fractal antennas. Big deal stuff, not alumni who did good later in life because it's not clear if the school deserves any credit. Even monkeys and dogs went into space, and how has an astronaut changed the world? They are mostly going for the ride.

Haven't you noticed that Tech doesn't do much bragging other than its rankings...which don't mean much in of themselves.
Wow.

How about nano technology which is going to shape the future of all mankind? For starters. Your post could be the most ignorant thing I've read on this board. And that says a lot.

- Georgia Fan

Old 10-28-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
Wow.

How about nano technology which is going to shape the future of all mankind? For starters. Your post could be the most ignorant thing I've read on this board. And that says a lot.
Ok, what has Tech done in nanotechnology which is amazing and will affect our lives?

Last edited by MathmanMathman; 10-28-2014 at 06:26 PM..

Old 10-28-2014, 07:03 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,431,487 times
Quote:
Ok, what has Tech done in nanotechnology which is amazing and will affect our lives?
Start here Research | IEN and click on the sub menus on the left.

I'm not going to continue this conversation, so no need to reply.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:43 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,041,241 times
Quote:
No...none of this "stuff done after they left Tech" stuff. Done at Tech as a student or faculty. And one of those Nobels was for Peace...no science.

Yeah yeah...rankings rankings. But what has been actually achieved?
Why don't you read for yourself? Seriously. You asked a question and you've been given an answer and more than enough resources to dig for more information. I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, but its pretty clear that you're using laziness as a convenient excuse to not concede a point in the face of some pretty overwhelming evidence.

Rankings, SAT scores, average salaries of graduates, Nobel laureates, research dollars, reputation of the school, and the reputation of its graduates (seriously, go ask a hiring manager what they think of Tech grads).

If all of these accolades and accreditation were easy to achieve (or at least fake) then the Univ. of Phoenix would have done it long ago. I don't get your attitude... are you sour on GaTech for some reason? Where did you go to school? Southern Poly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta