Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 10:32 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times

Advertisements

It's discouraging and scary for anyone considering moving there to read this forum since it is laced with nothing but hate for the city and how they can't wait to get out.

Come on this sub-forum and post some enthusiastic things about the city and you'll be immediately shot down by how bad the city is...the weather sucks, the traffic sucks, the job situation/economy sucks, the neighborhoods suck etc. etc.

By contrast, go to the Orange County, California or Los Angeles, California forum and say some negative things about the city and you'll be flamed out of there by all the die hard fans of California despite the state and city have innumerable problems, possibly far worse than Atlanta... the insane cost of living being a starting point.

I constantly hear how horrible ATL is from all the California residents around me, but I assume that is just because Californians tend to think that anything outside their state is crap but when you hear it from the residents themselves one gets a bit worried if the city is infact as bad as it's made out to be.

So, any Atlanta pride here? Nothing?

Old 08-07-2014, 10:36 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
k374 - There are plenty of posts about how great the Atlanta area is. I've been here for 25 years and with the exception of a few non-city locations, wouldn't ever live anywhere else! The weather does NOT suck. The traffic sucks during rush hour (what big city's doesn't?), the jobs market is recovering and actually very attractive according to your skill set, the economy is just fine, very many neighborhoods are wonderful.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:37 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,784,744 times
What the heck are talking about. Atlantans love Atlanta. Most of the Atlanta haters aren't even in Atlanta. Stop judging a city based off a message board. If that's the case everybody hates NYC, LA, etc.

You don't even live here. You are in California. The real question is why do so many people in Texas and California question Atlanta so much.

Again, the Atlanta haters are either old women who can't get a man or men who haven't been laid in years. People who are getting laid do not troll message boards daily and if you base a city off the a C-D forum then you really need to grow up.

We have the best topography, the best hospitals in the world, great entertainment, great col, no tolls, no snow (generally), soon we will be in the top 8 in shopping, great restaurants, direct flights everywhere, etc. Why would people hate a city with these amenities? Because they aren't happy and they aren't getting laid. BTW I hate plenty of cities but you do not see me in their forum telling them that I hate their city. Just like how people hate LA and NYC Atlanta has haters. You never see people hating in the ND forum

Last edited by afdinatl; 08-07-2014 at 10:54 AM..

Old 08-07-2014, 10:58 AM

559 posts, read 832,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
It's discouraging and scary for anyone considering moving there to read this forum since it is laced with nothing but hate for the city and how they can't wait to get out.

Come on this sub-forum and post some enthusiastic things about the city and you'll be immediately shot down by how bad the city is...the weather sucks, the traffic sucks, the job situation/economy sucks, the neighborhoods suck etc. etc.

By contrast, go to the Orange County, California or Los Angeles, California forum and say some negative things about the city and you'll be flamed out of there by all the die hard fans of California despite the state and city have innumerable problems, possibly far worse than Atlanta... the insane cost of living being a starting point.

I constantly hear how horrible ATL is from all the California residents around me, but I assume that is just because Californians tend to think that anything outside their state is crap but when you hear it from the residents themselves one gets a bit worried if the city is infact as bad as it's made out to be.

So, any Atlanta pride here? Nothing?

I think it's just the nature of message boards. People use them to vent their frustrations with local issues, policies, changes, etc.

I didn't grow up in ATL, but have lived in metro ATL for 22 years now and I love it here. ITP-OTP-burbs, I love it all in metro ATL. It's got its moles and warts like every place, but I like metro ATL's moles and warts better than other places I have lived.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:07 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,784,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPark View Post
I think it's just the nature of message boards. People use them to vent their frustrations with local issues, policies, changes, etc.

I didn't grow up in ATL, but have lived in metro ATL for 22 years now and I love it here. ITP-OTP-burbs, I love it all in metro ATL. It's got its moles and warts like every place, but I like metro ATL's moles and warts better than other places I have lived.
I hated several places but i do not post daily in those forums about hating a place. Generally a troll is generally jealous of that city and they arent getting laid. People who are happy do not troll.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:30 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,383,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
People who are happy do not troll.
Well sometimes we do, but not typically "city" message boards.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:36 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
That's crazy, there are plenty of Atlanta fans here.

In fact, before I came to this board, I had never read a positive word about MARTA. I didn't know there was such a thing as anybody who actually liked it.

I think the bigger thing to look for is not how many boosters and haters there are, the much more valuable metric is how many people are pragmatic about their city and willing to work on solutions to the problems while celebrating what's right.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:42 AM

229 posts, read 473,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPark View Post
This is especially true on CD. I think it's the nature of the board...the interests are WIDE and BROAD, so the opinions will mirror this. However, if you go to a "specialized" board (about a type of car, guns, or airplanes) then most of the conversations will revolve around very specific things.

I would be on CD more often, but the discourse is a bit (OK...a LOT) annoying, so I will check out the newest threads and see if there is some news that might pertain to me. But if I spend more than an hour a week here, I am pretty sure I would go crazy!

And for the record...I LOVE Atlanta (and surrounding areas)...ITP and OTP!

Old 08-07-2014, 11:51 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
I hated several places but i do not post daily in those forums about hating a place. Generally a troll is generally jealous of that city and they arent getting laid. People who are happy do not troll.
Do you kiss your mother with that vile mouth? There was no reason to inject X-rated behavior into the message. Not to mention disturbing and mildly sociopathic.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:56 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,627 times
I find most Atlanta "haters" are individuals that struggled elsewhere, came to Atlanta with no marketable skills and then became very unhappy when Atlanta did not live up to their expectations and solve all their problems.

They basically did not do their homework or avoided the advice of many of us here on CD and set themselves up for failure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta