Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 02:58 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,362,007 times

Advertisements

Clayton County is predominately Black (mid 50's to 60ish percent), but in reality it is a really diverse community. The north side of Forest Park and Conley seem to have a large Hispanic community, the south side of Forest Park, Lake City, and Morrow are home to many Asian people. All of the above communities also have a huge population of older White and Black people who have been there for years. The Lake Spivey area. which probably does have the largest concentration of Whites in Clayton along with Forest Park/ Lake City, Morrow, and downtown Jonesboro, is also home to many south Asians (India etc) which are different from the mostly Southeast Asians in south Forest Park, Lake City, and Morrow) Clayton County really is a really diverse county; probably one of our greatest strengths. You will find many of our older neighborhoods a crazy quilt of ethnicities, while some of the newer builds are less so. Neighborhoods built in the last ten years or so tend to be less diverse. I have noticed that new builds in Morrow tend to be overwhelmingly southeast Asian and in Riverdale overwhelmingly Black. Could the Realtors be "directing" this? I doubt it. I think it is that people tend to buy in neighborhoods where they "know" people. That would put White home buyers either in the community where they grew up or a new neighborhood in Henry or Fayette County where their family or high school friends may have moved to. The Asian, Black, and Hispanic homebuyers also probably look where someone they know/ are related to are. I think that Clayton County is a testament to the fully integrated suburb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 02:21 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Clayton County is predominately Black (mid 50's to 60ish percent), but in reality it is a really diverse community. The north side of Forest Park and Conley seem to have a large Hispanic community, the south side of Forest Park, Lake City, and Morrow are home to many Asian people. All of the above communities also have a huge population of older White and Black people who have been there for years. The Lake Spivey area. which probably does have the largest concentration of Whites in Clayton along with Forest Park/ Lake City, Morrow, and downtown Jonesboro, is also home to many south Asians (India etc) which are different from the mostly Southeast Asians in south Forest Park, Lake City, and Morrow) Clayton County really is a really diverse county; probably one of our greatest strengths. You will find many of our older neighborhoods a crazy quilt of ethnicities, while some of the newer builds are less so. Neighborhoods built in the last ten years or so tend to be less diverse. I have noticed that new builds in Morrow tend to be overwhelmingly southeast Asian and in Riverdale overwhelmingly Black. Could the Realtors be "directing" this? I doubt it. I think it is that people tend to buy in neighborhoods where they "know" people. That would put White home buyers either in the community where they grew up or a new neighborhood in Henry or Fayette County where their family or high school friends may have moved to. The Asian, Black, and Hispanic homebuyers also probably look where someone they know/ are related to are. I think that Clayton County is a testament to the fully integrated suburb.
Most of my white friends I grew up with started leaving in the early 90s for Henry and Spalding County.
I used to go to Clayton Community Church where they even left for Henry County around that time.
It was a predominantly white church then.it was located behind where Walmart in Morrow us now.im curious to know is it a diverse congregation? Or if the building is still occupied?

I was close friends with the pastors son.The pastors was close friends with Truett Cathy.
He donated lots of money and I met him at a couple of the service after singing in front of him for a special event.

I never thought I would like it as much as I do.its so diverse and I love it.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:16 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,362,007 times
The old Clayton Community Church is now Rock Springs Baptist Church. The church is still mostly White, but diverse, especially in some of their missions (Celebrate Recovery etc) They are also about to host a Christian school that is moving to Morrow from Stockbridge. While once a medium size church, Rock Springs would probably be considered a small church today, but one that definitely has a determined remnant.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:35 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
The old Clayton Community Church is now Rock Springs Baptist Church. The church is still mostly White, but diverse, especially in some of their missions (Celebrate Recovery etc) They are also about to host a Christian school that is moving to Morrow from Stockbridge. While once a medium size church, Rock Springs would probably be considered a small church today, but one that definitely has a determined remnant.
Thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta