Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 10:54 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,383,572 times

Advertisements

"For decades in metro Atlanta, rapid population growth was always first associated with the suburbs.
Of course, now the reverse migration back to American cities is covered daily, and it's no different here in Atlanta."

BeltLine CEO: "Millennials hate cookie-cutter" - Atlanta Business Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 11:12 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,440,929 times
In another 10 years this could get real interesting as political power will also shift back to the inner city with the influx of new millennials.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:16 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
In another 10 years this could get real interesting as political power will also shift back to the inner city with the influx of new millennials.
Wonder what will happen to the old (former) millennials?

Old 02-05-2015, 11:31 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Wonder what will happen to the old (former) millennials?
There's no such thing as a new or former millennial. Millennial is a fixed thing, just as Gen X and Baby Boomer are fixed things.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post

Agreed - you already see them giving Boomers a run for their money on the national Political stage. But will it still be "the inner city" in ten year.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:44 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
That's the interesting question I've always postulated....

Sure, living in the O4W is attractive if you're young and work there. But, what happens when you want to buy? Can you afford to there? What about when you have kids? Will you send them to school there?

I actually wouldn't be surprised to see the pendulum swing back the other way in 10 years.

It's all cyclical and time will tell.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:05 PM

994 posts, read 1,541,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
That's the interesting question I've always postulated....

Sure, living in the O4W is attractive if you're young and work there. But, what happens when you want to buy? Can you afford to there? What about when you have kids? Will you send them to school there?

I actually wouldn't be surprised to see the pendulum swing back the other way in 10 years.

It's all cyclical and time will tell.
Exactly. People seem to act as if Millennials are an entirely different breed of human that has disrupted typical anthropological patterns in the human life cycle.

Wait 'til they have kids and/or realize they cannot afford to live in the same neighborhood in an actual house or condo with a mortgage. Or wait til they grow older (we all do, Millennials won't be young forever; in fact, all of them aren't now - some are already in their early-mid 30s), and they just want a different pace and style of life.

Growth continues in the suburbs, and the lifestyle commonly (and sterotypically) associated with suburban life is changing. We see all around us all these towns and communities in the Metro Atlanta area creating their own pedestrian-friendly town developments, with residential in the mix. Eventually, many suburbs will offer the better of both worlds, IMO (but with good schools and the ability to actually become a homeowner).

Old 02-05-2015, 12:07 PM

298 posts, read 373,878 times
I believe it is an incorrect assumption that those who currently live in town and prefer living in walkable communities are going to abandoned that preferred lifestyle. There are a variety of areas where you can achieve that lifestyle without the costs of say a 2,000 SF home in Virginia Highland.

People need to realize that there is a difference between a suburb and not being a walkable community. Decatur is a suburb, Roswell is a suburb, Woodstock is an exurb, etc. However, what these places are doing are building walkable, community oriented development. These places will thrive as people who prefer walkable communities move for whatever reason.

Atlanta will continue to thrive as there are a variety of neighborhoods with affordable living options. Schools are improving, young parents are becoming involved in the schools, and overall, the city is becoming safer.

But that's not to imply people won't move out of the city limits. There are just so many WalkUPs and this is a good thing.

To summarize, the younger generations prefer living in walkable communities. These communities come in a variety of shapes and sizes and will continue to grow in popularity. Areas built that can't accommodate these sort of developments will, in my opinion, for the most part, stagnate.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLJR View Post
I believe it is an incorrect assumption that those who currently live in town and prefer living in walkable communities are going to abandoned that preferred lifestyle. There are a variety of areas where you can achieve that lifestyle without the costs of say a 2,000 SF home in Virginia Highland.

People need to realize that there is a difference between a suburb and not being a walkable community. Decatur is a suburb, Roswell is a suburb, Woodstock is an exurb, etc. However, what these places are doing are building walkable, community oriented development. These places will thrive as people who prefer walkable communities move for whatever reason.

Atlanta will continue to thrive as there are a variety of neighborhoods with affordable living options. Schools are improving, young parents are becoming involved in the schools, and overall, the city is becoming safer.

But that's not to imply people won't move out of the city limits. There are just so many WalkUPs and this is a good thing.

To summarize, the younger generations prefer living in walkable communities. These communities come in a variety of shapes and sizes and will continue to grow in popularity. Areas built that can't accommodate these sort of developments will, in my opinion, for the most part, stagnate.
I think when this cohort approaches retirement - even if they did move way out, they will probably come back to the city as well because they don't have the hangups and baggage of "city living" as something for poor people and the suburbs as proof that you've "made it" that the previous generations have had. Theirs is a completely different paradigm.

But, it's rough living out in a car dependent burb, when you are too old to drive. I see that with a lot of the retired folk in my community that are way out in the 60's and later suburbs part of town.

It's funny - I am GEN X - I grew up in those suburbs, but when it was time for me to settle down, I opted for a small patch of land with a funky old house on it, close to the train, and highways. All of those choices are based on having a place where I could age in place and have a semblance of independence and sustainability with my little urban farm plot and all that. And I see that with a lot of my fellow Slacker neighbors. We want just enough, and convenience, at an affordable price. But a lot of us have opted out of having kids too, so there's that.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:25 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Not true. Millennials love having cookie-cutter personalities and political views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta