Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 07:57 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
They had years to build a tech park if they wanted one plus tech people generally speaking don't want to work in SW Atlanta
Did they have years? It seems like it is just now available for purchase. A good argument could be made to bring people down, considering the Beltline and MARTA is very close.

The practical side of me understands this is probably the best option. But it is still wrong to give favorable deals to friends and I hope it is investigated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 08:22 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,785,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Did they have years? It seems like it is just now available for purchase. A good argument could be made to bring people down, considering the Beltline and MARTA is very close.

The practical side of me understands this is probably the best option. But it is still wrong to give favorable deals to friends and I hope it is investigated.

Can you even say this with a straight face? You really think single young adults (tech field) making $100k want to work in SW Atl? Seriously

Old 04-22-2015, 08:48 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,383,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
"Fort McPherson was a U.S army base located in East Point, Georgia, on the southwest edge of Atlanta, Georgia.": Fort McPherson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Fort McPherson Army Base in East Point, GA": Fort Mcpherson Army Base in East Point, GA | MilitaryBases.com

"Fort McPherson is located at East Point Georgia USA": Fort McPherson

"Fort McPherson is a U.S. Army Base Installation located in East Point Georgia, on the southwest side of Atlanta.": FORT McPHERSON US MILITARY BASE IN GEORGIA | USMilitary.com

ETC.

It looks to be partially in East Point and partially in Atlanta. Anyway, why would you be so bitter about the Braves moving to the edge of Atlanta while calling this move to the edge of Atlanta a "win-win"? THAT is contradictory...sounds like fragile emotions to me.

I'm somewhat intimate with the Utility deals going on there. Trust me if Ft. Mac was legitimately in East Point - I'd be crowing about it, and not just because they would be using EP Power. They are in Atlanta, on the border. If you go to google maps and just put in "East Point", you will see the city boundaries.

FYI - City of Atlanta annexes just about everything good. (Including Delta and Porsche headquarters in Hapeville)

Old 04-22-2015, 08:54 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
FYI - City of Atlanta annexes just about everything good. (Including Delta and Porsche headquarters in Hapeville)
Note: The Porsche HQ land has been in CoA and was not recently annexed, and is probably a motivation for why they selected that site. They wanted to work with the CoA. The Delta HQ is on the site of the original airport terminal. Many Delta buildings are in Hapeville and College Park city limits. The airport is still owned and operated by the city of Atlanta even though most of the land is outside the city limits. CoA has not annexed that land away from other cities.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:08 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,962,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
I'm somewhat intimate with the Utility deals going on there. Trust me if Ft. Mac was legitimately in East Point - I'd be crowing about it, and not just because they would be using EP Power. They are in Atlanta, on the border. If you go to google maps and just put in "East Point", you will see the city boundaries.

We already told him this. We even posted maps already showing the entire shaded area of Ft. Mac being in Atlanta, so good luck getting him to look on Google. He's still trying to make himself sound right about the base being in East point when it's not.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:34 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
Quote:
Can you even say this with a straight face? You really think single young adults (tech field) making $100k want to work in SW Atl? Seriously
Kirkwood, Grant Park, Cabbagetown, East Atlanta as a whole....

Single young adults in IT also aren't necessarily making $100k! If you are starting off making 35-45k, which many do, the area could be very attractive as it is very affordable, seems to have a lot of near future potential, and is very close to town. Areas such as Adair Park are ripe for the type of young people that work in IT.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
I think most would prefer to work there over Cumming.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Note: The Porsche HQ land has been in CoA and was not recently annexed, and is probably a motivation for why they selected that site. They wanted to work with the CoA. The Delta HQ is on the site of the original airport terminal. Many Delta buildings are in Hapeville and College Park city limits. The airport is still owned and operated by the city of Atlanta even though most of the land is outside the city limits. CoA has not annexed that land away from other cities.

I know not recently annexed....just pointing out the good stuff tends to land on CoA land, regardless of actual location. I guess it's part and parcel of having the Atlanta mailing address.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I think most would prefer to work there over Cumming.

I dunno - I know there is a Data Center down that way - and frankly the folks I know that go over there to work on their servers or what have you, aren't comfortable with it. Even I don't feel comfortable, like I don't feel comfortable rolling down bankhead at night. it's still ROUGH there, and zero lunchtime/retail options. But at the same time, if Ft Mac was a campus in and of itself, I don't think it would be as unappealing as some of the side streets - because it still has a MARTA station and options for plenty of private parking.

I am disappointed with the state of that area - I don't know how much TPS studios can actually do to revitalize it, because there are some systemic issues along Lee St.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:24 AM

There are defiantly some major issues in the area. But things are looking up. Think we will see a lot these neglected areas on the south and west sides end up like O4W is today, ten years down the line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta