Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 07:17 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,041,148 times

Advertisements

Perhaps I-285 in a few days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 06:17 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,015,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
We had a timeshare in Steamboat Springs, CO for years. Great place. I just much prefer western skiing conditions.

Nice.

Old 02-14-2015, 06:38 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,360,279 times
Snowshoe, West Virginia. Worth the drive in my opinion verses the North Carolina resorts.

Old 02-14-2015, 06:52 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,662,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
We had a timeshare in Steamboat Springs, CO for years. Great place. I just much prefer western skiing conditions.
So much envy . . . :-)

Old 02-14-2015, 07:45 PM

58 posts, read 86,929 times
I'm probably one of the biggest skiers in GA so here is my run down

I try to get between 13-20 days on snow per year. The most of these come in the form of day/weekend trips to NC with one or two week long trips out west to Steamboat, Alta, Park City, Taos etc

For NC skiing there are 2 geographic areas to choose from

- Boone/Banner Elk Resorts
Sugar Mtn, Beech Mtn, Appalachian Ski Mtn
- Asheville/Far Western NC
Cataloochee, Wolf Ridge, Sapphire Valley

Cataloochee offers the closest skiing to Atlanta. It is my go to. They open early (sometimes in October), have great snowmaking, and decent terrain. Cat is about 700 vertical feet and has under 100 skiable acres. I can usually get down the whole mountain in 30 seconds if I am bombing it.

There is a decent lodge/bar as well. In terms of immediate amenities Maggie Valley/Waynesville is not a bad place to spend a weekend.. Asheville is also really close.

Wolf Ridge is about 20 minutes outside of Asheville in Mars hill. It is a funky little ski area that never has its sh1t together. If it ever comes under competent ownership it has the potential to be the best ski area in the region. Problem is , that Wolf is always marred by some dramatic F up (lodge burning down, etc) that holds its back. It has an interesting and fun layout, decent vert, and is a great alternative to Cat.

Sapphire Valley is really close to Lake Toxaway, Highlands, Cashiers. Its a tiny ski area with about 300 vertical. Not really conducive to a great ski experience.

Regarding the Boone/Banner Elk resorts, Beech Mtn is my favorite. I prefer its layout and terrain to Sugar Mountain, and while Sugar Mtn has 300 more vertical feet, Beech gets more snow and has way more character. Sugar is a NC attempt at creating a Western Style Mega Resort and is kind of derided amongst avid southern skiers for its archaic rules and policies (i.e. not letting skiers into their terrain park until 2007. Expensive Lift Tickets. Bad Ski Patrol). While Sugar Mountain feels like a generic/soulless ski area like Copper Mtn or Keystone, Beech is like the NC version of Telluride or Crested Butte. The town of Beech Mtn is a legit Southern Ski Town with rich history and the distinction of being the highest town in the US east of the Mississippi. I have skied all over the world, including spending a season in Steamboat CO during a 500 inch snow year and the best Pow Day of my life was at Beech Mtn. If you have to take a multi day ski trip in the South it is the place to go.

Appalachian Ski Mountain is the last ski area around Boone. While it lacks vertical feet it is a favorite for having one of the best terrain parks on the east coast. While I really enjoy skiing terrain park (sliding rails, hitting jumps), I don't think the average City-Data ATL member is going to be doing this skiing, so its not really worth mentioning.

You could also consider going to Ober Gatlinburg for a ski trip, but that mountain is a joke for the most part.

TLDR: I live in ATL, Skiing is my life and here is where I go: Cataloochee, Wolf Ridge, Beech, Steamboat, Alta, Snowbird, Taos, Park City

Old 02-14-2015, 08:04 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,996,996 times
I Like Keystone in Colorado.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:06 PM

Summit County Colorado is the Rocky Mtn equivalent to Panama City.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:30 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,033,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLSkier View Post
Summit County Colorado is the Rocky Mtn equivalent to Panama City.
Even so, the airfare is cheaper than to any other ski destination

Old 02-14-2015, 10:43 PM

You don't directly fly into Summit County/Keystone- You fly into Denver. There are plenty of better resorts that are nearly as accessible as Summit that provide a much better skiing experience IMO. Check out Winter Park. Don't like Summit County/Vail because they are right off the interstate and seeing that ribbon of asphalt pierce through the mountains is a major Buzzkill. Steamboat, The Butte, Telluride, all feel like you are away from civilization and provide a more authentic skiing/western experience.

A more local comparison would be Vail/Keystone/Breck/Copper = Destin/Mirarmar/Panama City Vs Steamboat, Crested Butte, Telluride, Aspen=30A

Old 02-25-2015, 03:02 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,662,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLSkier View Post
Wolf Ridge is about 20 minutes outside of Asheville in Mars hill. It is a funky little ski area that never has its sh1t together. If it ever comes under competent ownership it has the potential to be the best ski area in the region. Problem is , that Wolf is always marred by some dramatic F up (lodge burning down, etc) that holds its back. It has an interesting and fun layout, decent vert, and is a great alternative to Cat.
I used to go there when it was called Wolf Laurel and part of the Wolf Laurel community and lodge, and they added the ski area to the summer mountain resort lodge. My parents were from Madison County (but moved before I was born) and groups of us in college would go to Wolf Laurel in the 70's for skiing -- it was low-key and easy, not very crowded. It does seem to have had its share of challenges. :-( Too bad, because it's a nice little spot, you didn't have to wait more than five minutes for a lift, etc., and you weren't being run down by crazies. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta