Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2010, 01:31 PM

13 posts, read 26,896 times

Advertisements

1. Budget - 700-850 rent per month (a nice 1BR apt, MAYBE a 2BR if all possible within the $$ range)
2. House/Condo/Townhome? - Apartment
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) - commute. I'll be working right downtown a few blocks away from Five Points station.
4. Children(public school vs. private) - N/A
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - No preference
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? - At least within a 5-10 minute drive to a train station. If not, then no more than a 20 minute ride into Five Points.
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. - Anything but the HOOD!

Based on the above, where should an early 30's single male be looking at?
I've been looking on apartments.com and the likes, but there's only so much I can read into an apartment on a website as they always make look apartment complexes look like utopia. Will most likely start my job the last week of September.

Thanks for you help in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 02:08 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,504,281 times
The Emory/N.Decatur area might be a possibility. 30 minutes to 5 Pts/Downtown--urban/suburban, safe, young professionals, convenient to shopping/restaurants and other amenities. You can take a bus to Lindbergh or Chamblee MARTA stations.

Best Places to Live Reasonable and Safe (Druid Hills/Emory area)

http://atlanta.promove.com/

Midtown would be another good option.

Midtown apartments?
Will be working Downtown. Best neighborhoods for young professionals?

Old 09-01-2010, 02:16 PM

255 posts, read 464,622 times
Depends on what you're looking for.

The South and East side of Atlanta are primarily black. The North and West sides are primarily white. As such, the rents tend to trend that way. You can rent a house on the southside for 700-850. On the northside, you'll be lucky to find a 1 bdrm apt.

Based on your public transit requirements, you'll be inside I-285.

So, I think I'd be looking at Vinings, Chamblee and maybe some intown lofts.

I think you also should look into renting available condo's in the 30303 zip code area downtown. I know, for example that at the Kessler City Loft Condos, they have units for sale for $75K, so those that the owners are renting couldn't be much out of your budget. The Kessler City Lofts are ONE block from the Five Points MARTA station. Even if they were a bit higher, you'd make up the difference in transportation costs. There are a number of others in this area and I've seen rents for $999 in several of them. How much do you plan on spending on gas each month to get to work?

Old 09-01-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post
Depends on what you're looking for.

The South and East side of Atlanta are primarily black. The North and West sides are primarily white. As such, the rents tend to trend that way. You can rent a house on the southside for 700-850. On the northside, you'll be lucky to find a 1 bdrm apt.

Based on your public transit requirements, you'll be inside I-285.

So, I think I'd be looking at Vinings, Chamblee and maybe some intown lofts.

I think you also should look into renting available condo's in the 30303 zip code area downtown. I know, for example that at the Kessler City Loft Condos, they have units for sale for $75K, so those that the owners are renting couldn't be much out of your budget. The Kessler City Lofts are ONE block from the Five Points MARTA station. Even if they were a bit higher, you'd make up the difference in transportation costs. There are a number of others in this area and I've seen rents for $999 in several of them. How much do you plan on spending on gas each month to get to work?
@ Jackalope, thanks for the input. As far as gas per month, that all depends on how far I'll have to commute to work. Ideally I'd like to be able to spend about $125 per month on gas.

With that said, a loft blocks from five points would cut my gas by 3/4th's.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:24 PM

How about I pose a different question. Just tell me what parts of Atlanta and / or area codes to stay AWAY from and I'll go from there. lol

Old 09-01-2010, 03:30 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,504,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williebuyoff View Post
How about I pose a different question. Just tell me what parts of Atlanta and / or area codes to stay AWAY from and I'll go from there. lol
That really won't work. jmo.

Many would tell you --forget about downtown--whatever the zip codes--but you really can find safe housing there.

Midtown--somewhere around Piedmont Park would be nice--or Poncey Highland if you are selective.

Poncey Highland area questions

Poncey-Highland?

Old 09-01-2010, 09:20 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,027,782 times
There are PLENTY of places for under $750. Rent normally goes up during this time of the year because of all the college students.

Atlanta Apartments for Rent - Equity Apartments 12:00:00 AM

Check Vining and Druid Hills
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta