Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 02:22 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,100,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
Question - would it be okay if Westboro Baptist Church showed up at a poetry slam in a private venue, yelling God Hates F*gs and holding their usual signs?

I mean, if you can be ok with that, and not annoyed, and are willing to encourage their right to peacefully assemble on private property, then ok...I suppose I could go with it.

But somehow I am pretty sure that wouldn't be anybody's reaction to it.
And there you have it.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:30 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
In my opinion this black brunch thing is simply riling folks up, including people of good will who would be powerful allies.

There are far better ways to make a point.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:37 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
In my opinion this black brunch thing is simply riling folks up, including people of good will who would be powerful allies.

I would think protesting at city hall or the capital would be more effective. If the protestors are trying to win sympathizers, they are not going to succeed by interrupting someone's meal or family time. While I appreciate very much the point they are making - and I hope that they are heard - I just don't think this is the way to win supporters. Just my option for what it's worth.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:14 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,310,733 times
So it's hate and divisive when someone merely brings attention to actions that egregiously violate their constitutional rights as American citizens.

But hey, just as long as your little slice of paradise in Decatur isn't slightly inconvenienced, it's no skin off your nose, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
And yet another example of the insults and attacks spewed when you don't agree with a post. Could you possibly BE any more hateful or divisive?

Last edited by AcidSnake; 03-30-2015 at 04:09 PM..

Old 03-30-2015, 03:16 PM

I'm gonna bite my tongue on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Since I know JMAtl personally and philosophically, the Limbaugh comment was especially hilarious to me.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:23 PM

Or it could be that the reaction(s) is the purpose.

The protests could also be a gauge of sorts of the relative enlightenment and humanity of the Decaturites.

Did we pass? Did we fail?

Who knows, I suppose...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

Old 03-30-2015, 03:27 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,383,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post

The protests could also be a gauge of sorts of the relative enlightenment and humanity of the Decaturites.

Who knows, I suppose...

I would say interrupting someone's meal (anyone's meal) with a political agenda, is neither enlightened or humane.

Actually I got threatened with a knife once by a big Puerto Rican guy in Queens for interrupting his meal, as a waitress doing a table check.

So yeah - some people take their eating time seriously.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:55 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:

Who knows, I suppose...
Well, as I said earlier, I understand the theory of confronting someone in their comfort zone.

My guess is that many Decaturites and people of good will elsewhere deplore the shooting of anyone, including young black men. I am sure many are aware of -- as well as saddened and frustrated by -- factors that lead to police shootings.

In this case the confrontational approach strikes me as counterproductive. It's not simply a matter of hollering, "The police are racists, you white people sitting here eating brunch are responsible for it!"

There's a lot more to it and solving the problem will require a lot of alliances and cooperative action.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
I would say interrupting someone's meal (anyone's meal) with a political agenda, is neither enlightened or humane.
If you can equate a meal being interrupted by noise to people being unjustly profiled and having their lives interrupted or worse by the power of the state...then there is nothing else I can speak to you on about this issue.

You are on a whole other planet with that logic...and I don't want to visit it.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:12 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
So it's hate and divisive when someone merely brings attentions to actions that egregiously violate their constitutional rights as American citizens.

But hey, just as long as your little slice of paradise in Decatur isn't slightly inconvenienced, it's no skin off your nose, right?
What a cute attempt at deflection.

THIS is hateful and divisive, no matter how you slice it:

"Way to prove my assumption right. Right out of the Limbaugh playbook, that comment there.

I guess in your world if those inconvenient negroes would simply just shut up and take their beatings, shootings, and profilings quietly there would be no problems, right?

*Sigh*"

To throw out such incendiary statements you have absolutely zero shame, and wish nothing more than to escalate this situation.

I'm done with this garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta