Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 06:37 PM

7,365 posts, read 6,550,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
LOL! Saying that Metro Atlanta developers should not build malls is like saying that people should not breathe.

Unnecessary overbuilding is just simply what Metro Atlanta developers do, it's just their nature.

It wasn't just the opening of the Mall of Georgia that killed Gwinnett Place Mall, it was also the opening of Sugarloaf Mills Mall, The Forum on Peachtree and The Shoppes at Webb Gin that along with continuing demographic changes in the area that combined to kill Gwinnett Place Mall in an era when mall shopping in general is in decline.

25 years ago, Gwinnett Place Mall was the only major shopping mall in Gwinnett County. Now there are basically four more major shopping malls (or mall-like developments) in the county.

Not to mention there are now at least about 11 Walmart Supercenters in the county....Which are stores that did not really exist during the heyday of Gwinnett Place Mall back in the '80's and early '90's.

Heck, the Walmart Supercenter up the road on Pleasant Hill probably gets more business than Gwinnett Place Mall does these days.
I wouldn't say that Discover Mills killed Gwinnett Place, it offered a lot of unique stores that wouldn't be in Gwinnett Place or much of anywhere else. Mall of Georgia did however help GP's demise by being a general-purpose mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 06:58 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,380,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Gwinnett Place has been terrible for as long as I can remember. I think maybe back in the 90s it was ok.
Back in the 90s it was great. We used to go Christmas shopping there. But there was no way it could compete with Mall of Georgia.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:32 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,953,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Is it really THAT bad? Would you compare it to Greenbriar and South Dekalb? Or Southlake which has a mix of locally owned and national stores? The area seems to be busy, so wouldn't that be because of Gwinnett Place? If not, where are all these people driving to?
There's still a ton of commercial activity near there and a lot of car dealerships along with offices. Pleasant Hill is also a major connection between Gwinnett and North Fulton. I think the the mall inspired a lot of commerce and retail activity back in the hey day. It's just now the mall is struggling. If you're driving around on Pleasant Hill or Satellite, it's very easy to forget there's a mall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
Back in the 90s it was great. We used to go Christmas shopping there. But there was no way it could compete with Mall of Georgia.
I should clarify my comment, I was born in 92 so "as long as I can remember" only goes back to just before the Mall of GA opened up. I vaguely remember going as a child (we also lived much closer back then), but essentially growing up it's just been a declining mall.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:10 AM

561 posts, read 783,057 times
New plan released for Gwinnett Place redevelopment.

Plans and Studies for Gwinnett Place

ACTivate Gwinnett Place

http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/new...lanning-major/

Quote:
The Multi-Modal Green Corridor effort “drills down” to identify specifically where new infrastructure within the core of the Gwinnett Place area might best create and connect green space and alternative pedestrian, bicycle and transit options. The final includes:

Bicycle and pedestrian path alignment and routes
Radical, functional intersection improvement that solves several technical and community issues
Open space alignments and relationship to potential new development and transit
Stormwater design related to green space and trail routes
Parking structures and re-purposing of existing surface parking

Old 09-13-2015, 08:40 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,953,629 times
Is that a large roundabout? I'm not sure if Atlanta is ready for one of those. The smaller ones I've seen with low traffic and one lane work fine. Scaling up that big could be interesting.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:45 AM

32,035 posts, read 36,878,577 times
Sounds like reports of Gwinnett mall's demise are greatly exaggerated.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:19 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,512,962 times
sorry to be a realist, but you're kicking a dead horse.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:22 AM

3 posts, read 3,017 times
Mall of GA had a hand in the mall's death, but the true cause is that shopping is now literally on every corner in metro Atlanta. When this now dead mall was built, people didn't have a third of the choices available to them.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:26 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,706,118 times
BRT huh? Guess we'll see. Still think a gold line extension would help a bit more, but BRT is a start, especially if it were then carried down Buford Highway! But all that would require a joining of MARTA. Too bad that wasn't an option suggested!

It is odd that there wasn't any represitatives from Gwinnett County Transit... unless they're included with Gwinnett DOT?

Old 09-13-2015, 10:28 AM

3 posts, read 3,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
There's still a ton of commercial activity near there and a lot of car dealerships along with offices. Pleasant Hill is also a major connection between Gwinnett and North Fulton. I think the the mall inspired a lot of commerce and retail activity back in the hey day. It's just now the mall is struggling. If you're driving around on Pleasant Hill or Satellite, it's very easy to forget there's a mall.

I should clarify my comment, I was born in 92 so "as long as I can remember" only goes back to just before the Mall of GA opened up. I vaguely remember going as a child (we also lived much closer back then), but essentially growing up it's just been a declining mall.
You are so correct. In fact, from jimmy carter blvd to Pleasant hill road, many of the neighborhoods and business areas went into decline as well. When I left ATL permanently I really didn't recognize the town very much, and couldn't believe how fast Gwinnett went from middle and upper middle to immigrant and lower middle class.

Looking back Atlanta is not a stable place. Good areas today can and will turn into bad areas tomorrow. Bad areas today can turn into good areas. As people, normal working people, you get no say into how the area develops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta