Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2015, 08:04 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,264,528 times

Advertisements

I thought if anyone would know, it would be you. Do you have a bug spray or bug bracelet or bug candle or bug anything that you can recommend?

I hate feeling "coated" and with sunblock and bug spray, I end up having that coated, "I need a shower" feeling.

But I hate getting bit up too. Bites can be bad when you wake up scratching at night.

Thanks!!

Alley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 11:10 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,822,569 times
I am a mosquito magnet so I have to use a repellent. Over the years, I have tried all sorts of products from the holistic to not FDA approved lol.

I'm pleased with the pump spray version of OFF that I have. It feels much more natural on my skin than the aerosol can versions of anything. Once it dries, it basically feels like nothing is there. I have the unscented one, but you may like the clean feel one better: FamilyCare mosquito repellent | OFF!® Insect Repellents. I may give the clean feel a try, but the unscented works so well that I'll probably just stick with what I know works.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:58 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,261,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
I thought if anyone would know, it would be you. Do you have a bug spray or bug bracelet or bug candle or bug anything that you can recommend?
When you can control your environment, citronella torches/lanterns work great. You need enough to be surrounded by them, though. Our neighbors have these really cool looking, modern citronella lanterns that look nothing like the typical "tiki torch" or the lame little candles they sell at Walmart (those do nothing, you need a substantial flame). I don't know where they got them, but any outdoor supply store will have options for torches and lanterns that will get the job done. We use them in our yard to avoid using bug spray as much as possible; I hate it for the same reasons you mentioned.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:54 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,362,619 times
I do not sell/ own shares in AVON, but "Skin So Soft" really does seem to do the trick. Admittedly, I have a can of spray pump "Deep Woods OFF" on my front porch now that seems to do the trick with myself, my wife, and our children.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:04 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,383,960 times
Deep Woods Off.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:06 PM

Also - a trick I picked up from a kayaking friend of mine....in a pinch you can rub your skin with a dryer sheet - that will keep them off as well.

I have one cat that the mosquitoes seem to love. They tear up his ears like nobody's business in the summer. I rub dryer sheet on his ears (he hates it), but he is doing much better so far this year, than previously.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:05 AM

371 posts, read 456,849 times
My trusty Farmer's Almanac had a great article on using essential oils and plant for natural bug repellants. Gosh, I'll have to take a look later tonight, but off the top of my head I remember:

Lavender oil, Cedar, Citronella or Lemongrass, Rosemary and Eucalyptus

These could be a good alternative for smaller kids or folks who have bad reactions to the more chemical-y stuff. You can rub the oil into your skin or keep the plants on your patio to ward off the skeeters.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuiOui View Post
My trusty Farmer's Almanac had a great article on using essential oils and plant for natural bug repellants. Gosh, I'll have to take a look later tonight, but off the top of my head I remember:

Lavender oil, Cedar, Citronella or Lemongrass, Rosemary and Eucalyptus

These could be a good alternative for smaller kids or folks who have bad reactions to the more chemical-y stuff. You can rub the oil into your skin or keep the plants on your patio to ward off the skeeters.
One of my neighbors here in East Point makes and sells a spray using these essential oils at our farmer's market. It does do a great job, but you have to keep re-applying it. I like using his stuff, but if I am going to be someplace where re-applying is inconvenient - I go with the Deep Woods Off.

And the cat hated the oil on his ears even more than dryer sheets, so there's that.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:53 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
100% Deet.

I use Ben's, but there are other brands. Just make sure you get the 100% stuff. You don't need much of it, it doesn't feel greasy, and it works great.

This is what the military uses in jungles. They invented it.

Of course, it's the same active ingredient as most popular bug sprays, they just dilute it which makes you have to use more product, get greasier, and pay more. With the 100% stuff, a bit on your wrists, neck, and ankles does the trick. No need to coat your whole body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: