Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 06:24 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,876,597 times

Advertisements

we need to eliminate open carry in this state. it is incredibly intimidating to have a person not required to have a license, registration, or training come into a public place with a weapon that could take out 50 people in 3 minutes— something a baseball bat or a pocket knife cannot do. i'm all for concealed carry, but everyone should have to apply for a license and register their guns, just like drivers do.

it is insane that we have more regulation on cars in this state than we do devices specifically designed for mass slaughter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 06:36 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Some folks may not agree but who doesn't feel safer knowing that their fellow citizens are prepared to tackle any potential danger?

Old 06-03-2015, 06:39 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,141,538 times
I don't feel safer with incompetent, irrational idiots carrying guns.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:43 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,310,733 times
"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I just want to know: Is there any point at which "well regulated" comes into the picture with this open carry nonsense?

Can one of y'all open carry-supporting folks inform me on what "well regulated" looks like to y'all?

Curious minds are just begging to be informed here.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:49 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,641,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
what a dick.
what he said

Old 06-03-2015, 07:52 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,529,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I just want to know: Is there any point at which "well regulated" comes into the picture with this open carry nonsense?

Can one of y'all open carry-supporting folks inform me on what "well regulated" looks like to y'all?

Curious minds are just begging to be informed here.
No, because that has no bearing on the 2nd amendment whatsoever. Plus, back then, "well-regulated" meant everyone owned the military-grade personal combat arms of the day. Do you really want to require everyone to own fully-automatic battle rifles like real M-16s? Or maybe every block has one person trusted with an M249?

Old 06-03-2015, 07:53 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,775,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Some folks may not agree but who doesn't feel safer knowing that their fellow citizens are prepared to tackle any potential danger?
My problem, especially in this case,

This law makes it easy for someone who is up to something or someone who is just emotionally or mentally irrational to get a really powerful weapon into a really bad place.

People get into arguments and flip out. It can easily be the person carrying a gun in the name of protection.

Even worse is seeing two gun-carriers get into an argument.

And if someone isn't carrying and they end up in an argument with someone who is, they will always be more intimidated.

One could try to say this might make people act less hostile, but it might be the one person carrying that needs to tone it down a notch... not the thousands around them not carrying.

If someone wants to carry around an assault weapon in a crowded place, they best be prepared for police to follow them.

I'm sorry that is not intimidation. If that person flips out, in less than a minute 20 people can be badly injured or killed.

I would feel much safer if police were able to keep assault weapons out of crowded places, so they can identify dangerous situations quicker rather than be forced to follow people around ... just in case.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:59 PM

989 posts, read 1,743,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
No, because that has no bearing on the 2nd amendment whatsoever. Plus, back then, "well-regulated" meant everyone owned the military-grade personal combat arms of the day. Do you really want to require everyone to own fully-automatic battle rifles like real M-16s? Or maybe every block has one person trusted with an M249?
That's the reason the law is outdated. When the constitution was written, civilians had the same weapons as the army. So yes, it was possible for civilians to resist foreign invasions as well as government officials. Today, do you really think this is possible, civilians don't have f-16, tanks, or apache helicopters. The 2nd amendment is a farce, it doesn't protect you. I'm not for banning civilians carrying weapons, but the only require should be more than just turning 18 & 21. Registration, Training and Mental Health screenings annually.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:07 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,630,877 times
This whole open carry nonsense needlessly introduces danger. This moron can carry an M16 (or whatever this huge gun is) legally into public places. Great. He looks old and not in great shape. Someone bigger and stronger can walk up behind him, knock him to the ground and take it from him. Then this guy, who could be anyone with any agenda who may not have had access to a firearm before but lucked into this feeble redneck, can start shooting at will. I don't know if the bubbas in the state legislature really thought this through.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:33 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,310,733 times
Quote:
No, because that has no bearing on the 2nd amendment whatsoever.
Wha...wtf is this response? The term "well regulated" is on the 2nd amendment. Seriously, wtf is this friggin' response here?

Quote:
Plus, back then, "well-regulated" meant everyone owned the military-grade personal combat arms of the day.
So you don't think "well regulated" would have anything to with accounting for what sort of weapons required? Declaring how much ammunition is to be held? Nothing regarding the organizing and disciplining of people and their arms?

So according to you "well regulated" simply means derp! everyone have military grade weapons, duh!

Quote:
Do you really want to require everyone to own fully-automatic battle rifles like real M-16s? Or maybe every block has one person trusted with an M249?
Hmmmm....you must be an open-carry person, if this is the type of interesting answer that you can come up with.

I highly doubt that the common attitude was to simply allow anyone and everyone own a weapon without heavy direction or guidance from a governmental body be it federal or state level.

So I guess none of the founding fathers had any input on the terms "well-regulated", huh? Not even Alexander Hamilton and Federalist paper NO. 29?

Gotta love da south sometimes.

Bloop!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta