Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2016, 05:29 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Texas is more tied to its agricultural/ranching/oil roots, all which are rural endeavors. There is an appreciation for the rancher epitomized by the cowboy hat and cowboy boot wearing traditions. Even those that are big city dwellers have a connection to rural areas of the state and newcomers seem aware of it and adopt it.

Newcomers to Georgia have a disdain for rural life and the agrarian lifestyle that went along with it. Perhaps a western vs. eastern US mindset.
The cowboy culture is seen as exotic and is distinctive for Texas. There's nothing unique about Georgia rural culture which is just typical Southern rural culture such as can be found in East Texas.

Furthermore, understand that a lot of people flock to Atlanta from surrounding states and other parts of Georgia to ESCAPE rural areas which are seen as backwards and oppressive. That's why Atlanta is a little more liberal and "loose" than its Texas peers of Houston and Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 06:06 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The cowboy culture is seen as exotic and is distinctive for Texas. There's nothing unique about Georgia rural culture which is just typical Southern rural culture such as can be found in East Texas.

Furthermore, understand that a lot of people flock to Atlanta from surrounding states and other parts of Georgia to ESCAPE rural areas which are seen as backwards and oppressive. That's why Atlanta is a little more liberal and "loose" than its Texas peers of Houston and Dallas.
I would say that the same number of rural Texans, as well as many from Oklahoma, Louisiana, New Mexico and Arkansas head to the big Texas cities as do southerners that head to Atlanta and for the same reason. Again, tho, that Texas mystique for the ranch and all things Cowboy is still very much intertwined with the urban experience here and makes for less us vs. them attitudes.

The big Texas Livestock Show just finished in Fort Worth. It is a big yearly event and was covered every evening by the local news affiliates. Each year there is a big focus on which kid's steer will be the grand champion. The kid that won this year won over $200k. Is there anything like this that takes place in Atlanta to connect it to the rural part of the state? No. Nothing. Georgia is still a major player in agriculture, but to an import from some other part of the country, Atlanta is disconnected from it whereas a transplant to Dallas knows right away the importance of agriculture and ranching to the state economy.

The big state fair in Dallas every year is even bigger than the livestock show and its roots are agriculture/ranching and it still plays an important part in the event. There is nothing like this in Georgia. There are fairs yes, but completely minor league compared to this Texas state fair.

All this began with how Atlanta can mimic Dallas' success and my opinions on how it can stay in the race. I can't help but think that Dallas' relationship with its state is one of if not the biggest differences in its success.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:32 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
If you're a liberal in rural Texas, you typically move to Austin. Not Dallas or Houston or San Antonio.

Whereas if you're a liberal in rural Georgia, you move to Atlanta. Atlanta fills both the cultural and business roles for its state.

Texas actually has 6 cities (5 metros) all larger than Atlanta:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_population

If that were all consolidated into one city, it would be New York sized. And would be a major cultural and liberal hub.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:16 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
If that were all consolidated into one city, it would be New York sized. And would be a major cultural and liberal hub.
but it's not one city; if you combined atlanta, charlotte, and the other major cities in our region you would have the same effect. i'm not sure what your point is here.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:47 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
And compared to Houston, Austin and San Antonio, DFW is noted for its infighting between suburbs and the city and Dallas and Ft. Worth. Yet it still works together much better than Atlanta.
Oh Ft Worth refuses to be considered the same or similar to Dallas. It even has its own forum separate from Dallas. It was a mayor or some other government official in Ft Worth who pitched a fit when the photo of Ft Worths weather on the Weather Channel App was of Dallas and not Ft Worth.

Quote:
I would say that the same number of rural Texans, as well as many from Oklahoma, Louisiana, New Mexico and Arkansas head to the big Texas cities as do southerners that head to Atlanta and for the same reason. Again, tho, that Texas mystique for the ranch and all things Cowboy is still very much intertwined with the urban experience here and makes for less us vs. them attitudes.

The big Texas Livestock Show just finished in Fort Worth. It is a big yearly event and was covered every evening by the local news affiliates. Each year there is a big focus on which kid's steer will be the grand champion. The kid that won this year won over $200k. Is there anything like this that takes place in Atlanta to connect it to the rural part of the state? No. Nothing. Georgia is still a major player in agriculture, but to an import from some other part of the country, Atlanta is disconnected from it whereas a transplant to Dallas knows right away the importance of agriculture and ranching to the state economy.

The big state fair in Dallas every year is even bigger than the livestock show and its roots are agriculture/ranching and it still plays an important part in the event. There is nothing like this in Georgia. There are fairs yes, but completely minor league compared to this Texas state fair.

All this began with how Atlanta can mimic Dallas' success and my opinions on how it can stay in the race. I can't help but think that Dallas' relationship with its state is one of if not the biggest differences in its success.
Atlanta has very little of a country feel to it especially compared to D/FW. I mean geez, is Wild Bills really the best metro Atlanta can offer? Pales in comparison to a place like Billy Bob's in Ft Worth.

Atlanta often shuns the rural side of Georgia. The cities in Texas embrace it on a much larger scale.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:11 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
One thing I forgot to mention is that one thing Dallas has on it's side vs. Atlanta is that it's located in a very dynamic state. What I mean is that there are four major cities that are all growing VERY fast vs. just one in Georgia. Georgia is not dynamic. Only Atlanta is....and no, I don't consider Savannah dynamic since it's main intention is to stay as old fashioned south as possible since that's what defines Savannah which is fine.

Companies might think it's simply safer to relocate to a state that has more dynamism vs. a state that relies solely on one city.

And Atlanta is not a rural city and never was. It was always an industrial, logistics hub even before the Civil War. It does not have that rural cowboy culture behind it like Dallas-Fort Worth does and never will.

I do agree however that balkanism hurts the Atlanta region. In a lot of ways, balkanism is rooted in racial tension and problems which again, in a lot of ways, shaped the way Atlanta is today, for good and bad.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Oh Ft Worth refuses to be considered the same or similar to Dallas. It even has its own forum separate from Dallas. It was a mayor or some other government official in Ft Worth who pitched a fit when the photo of Ft Worths weather on the Weather Channel App was of Dallas and not Ft Worth.
For political and economic purposes these two and their surrounding burbs do a great job working together to promote the region. Any rivalry you see is more on the line of rooting for the local team. Both cities know they have their own personalities. Fort Worth does get its feelings hurt from time to time as Dallas is the leader on almost every measurable scale, but there is not the infighting you see between the different local governments in Atlanta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Atlanta has very little of a country feel to it especially compared to D/FW. I mean geez, is Wild Bills really the best metro Atlanta can offer? Pales in comparison to a place like Billy Bob's in Ft Worth.

Atlanta often shuns the rural side of Georgia. The cities in Texas embrace it on a much larger scale.
Well, isn't this the very point I have been making for way too many posts now? My intent is to ask and wonder why this is such. I don't think Atlanta historically has had disdain for the rest of the state. I think it is a more recent phenomenon. And I would even be so bold as to say it has been imported.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:38 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times
Quote:
Texas is more tied to its agricultural/ranching/oil roots, all which are rural endeavors. There is an appreciation for the rancher epitomized by the cowboy hat and cowboy boot wearing traditions. Even those that are big city dwellers have a connection to rural areas of the state and newcomers seem aware of it and adopt it.

Newcomers to Georgia have a disdain for rural life and the agrarian lifestyle that went along with it. Perhaps a western vs. eastern US mindset.
I strongly disagree with this

Texas and Georgia both have a lot of transplants. My time Growing up in DFW Tarrant county Fort Worth and Arlington the kids where from diverse places you had kids around the metro and native Texans but a lot of kids where like from Cali, Chicago, Memphis, New York, Detroit, I know a few Asians, several Africans a German girl, and a dude from Brazil. No body gave jack swat about anything rural Texas. Even half the native Texans from The city of FT Worth, Dallas and Houston didn't.

The demographics that like country stuff in Texas is very much like the same those who like country stuff in Georgia there's like a 99% chance that person listen to country music. It's completely the same in Georgia. The only difference is Texas has more cities. Maybe cause you in McKinney, TX counties which are less diverse and not Tarrant, and Dallas.

When I went to school in Texas at this time I was in middle school, it was Mansfield TX a small developing suburb in Tarrant.

There was a girl who moved from a Texas small town she was cultural shock Mansfield must had seem very fast to her she didn't really know how to socially interact with the kids. the teacher told the students to help her out to adjust. But sadly the students bully the girl and they mocked her for being country. After a few weeks the girl moved. Honesty it was awful.

What even more ironic before my family moved from Fort Worth to Mansfield. The Fort Worth kids mocked my sibling and me for moving to Mansfield.

What different between Texas and Georgia or at least metro Atlanta and DFW. In DFW cities and counties are more cooperative. Even with two rivaling major cities. DFW is more cooperative.

There's a Georgia vs Atlanta thing but it's not as nearly as bad or a hold up on metro Atlanta, as the Atlanta vs Metro Atlanta thing. We can Blame Georgia for not helping support MARTA but can't blame the state for it's not expending into Cobb and Gwinnett it has nothing to do with the "Atlanta vs Georgia thing". but completely the "Atlanta vs Metro Atlanta thing"

Old 02-12-2016, 12:19 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
If you're a liberal in rural Texas, you typically move to Austin. Not Dallas or Houston or San Antonio.

Whereas if you're a liberal in rural Georgia, you move to Atlanta. Atlanta fills both the cultural and business roles for its state.

Texas actually has 6 cities (5 metros) all larger than Atlanta:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_population

If your liberal you could move to any of Texas large cities cause they would be all liberal.. I mean Houston had a openly gay Mayor.

The rural Texas vs urban Texas exist but it's different cause there's more cities.

I lived in Tarrant County most for almost 15 years most of the people I knew where liberal or democrat I think the northern suburbs of Fort Worth turns the county slight pink. But Dallas county, Harris County "Houston", Travis County " Austin" and etc are always blue just as Fulton and Dekalb.

McKinney in Collin County which is a suburban red conservative county in DFW it's like North Fulton, Cherokee County. Forsyth county. I think what Saintmarks is saying for Collin is true but for Tarrant and Dallas no. The Demographic that like rural in Atlanta is the same Demographic that like rural in DFW, and the same Demographics that don't, don't. It's pretty much the same.

But where I do agree with him is DFW works together regardless. Regardless that Dallas and Fort Worth are different cities they work together. Even with their more conservative burbs and liberal cities they do.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
If your liberal you could move to any of Texas large cities cause they would be all liberal.. I mean Houston had a openly gay Mayor.

The rural Texas vs urban Texas exist but it's different cause there's more cities.

I lived in Tarrant County most for almost 15 years most of the people I knew where liberal or democrat I think the northern suburbs of Fort Worth turns the county slight pink. But Dallas county, Harris County "Houston", Travis County " Austin" and etc are always blue just as Fulton and Dekalb.

McKinney in Collin County which is a suburban red conservative county in DFW it's like North Fulton, Cherokee County. Forsyth county. I think what Saintmarks is saying for Collin is true but for Tarrant and Dallas no. The Demographic that like rural in Atlanta is the same Demographic that like rural in DFW, and the same Demographics that don't, don't. It's pretty much the same.

But where I do agree with him is DFW works together regardless. Regardless that Dallas and Fort Worth are different cities they work together. Even with their more conservative burbs and liberal cities they do.
You missed my point entire.y. Entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta