Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2015, 11:38 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,942,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Moultrie = Pork and poultry processing. They once made uniforms, too, I believe. My Daddy was from that jewel of Southwest Georgia; my family still has a place down there: very peaceful and relaxing with great antique shopping and a charming court house square. Not too far from Albany or Tallahassee; they get television signals from both. Surrounding Colquitt County is one of the most vibrant agricultural regions in the state. Like most farming regions, there is very little population. A matter of fact, the City of Moultrie is third in population in Georgia's southwestern region behind Albany and Valdosta!
I've always thought Tifton was equal to Moultrie in stature. Is that not the case?

And what about the wonderful Thomasville, or have they finally been sucked into Tallahassee's orbit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 07:10 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,899,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I've always thought Tifton was equal to Moultrie in stature. Is that not the case?

And what about the wonderful Thomasville, or have they finally been sucked into Tallahassee's orbit?
Thomasville seems to have the most money. They've got the best hospital and the doctors along with it.

Tifton got the Georgia Agricultural facility you see on I-75 thanks to Sam Nunn. According to my spouse, people in the Albany-Moultrie area were none to fond of Nunn after that.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:26 PM

562 posts, read 1,127,428 times
Quote:

In the modern scheme of things, all three cities are reasonably equal in status. Tifton and Moultrie have closed in on Thomasville. It's no longer the clear cut big brother of the three. Thomasville does have more old money, and the better hospital/healthcare. Colquitt County is more populous than Tift or Thomas!!!

As far as Thomasville is concerned, there are a lot of people who go to Tallahassee for work and to shop, but it still maintains its identity and standing as a growing, independent city. It's nowhere close to being just another suburb of Tallahassee.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:45 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,363,625 times
Tifton is perceived so because it has interstate access (Moultrie and Albany do not) Population inside the city limits of Tifton and all of Tift County is considerably smaller than the City of Moultrie and Colquitt County. Access to 75 is the main reason Valdosta and Lowndes County are about the overtake Albany and Daughtry County as population centers in Southwest Georgia (but you must realize that Southwest Georgia is one of the most sparsely populated parts of our State) When I go to Moultrie, I have to get off of 75 in Tifton. Tifton does have more national restaurant chains being a break stop for 75 travelers. I feel like Moultrie has as good or better shopping (Big boxes, Belk etc) as Tifton. less so than Valdosta, Albany, or Thomasville. Thomasville does "feel" a little wealthier in some of their "downtown" shops, but that is because they are often a day trip destination for people from Tallahassee. The local news is called Thomasville/ Tallahassee, but Thomasville community patterns must not reflect that since they are not part of Greater Tallahassee. It seems if you go down 319 south from Moultrie to Thomasville toward Leon County, Florida (Tallahassee) you have to pass through a small part of Grady County I think; that does make Thomas County NOT Leon County/ Tallahassee adjacent, for what it is worth.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:30 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,778,524 times
Since we are talking about Southwest Georgia... One little interesting tidbit about Thomasville. They have the only Fortune 1000 headquarters in the state south of Columbus: Flowers Foods.

To no surprise this is where there is more wealth in the region. Within Thomas County out of 44 thousand people the median household income is about $41k and the median family income is $52k beating out their peers. The town is a bit poorer though with wealthier families living outside of town and wealthier land owners making money off land assets.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:42 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,867,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Moultrie = Pork and poultry processing. They once made uniforms, too, I believe. My Daddy was from that jewel of Southwest Georgia; my family still has a place down there: very peaceful and relaxing with great antique shopping and a charming court house square. Not too far from Albany or Tallahassee; they get television signals from both. Surrounding Colquitt County is one of the most vibrant agricultural regions in the state. Like most farming regions, there is very little population. A matter of fact, the City of Moultrie is third in population in Georgia's southwestern region behind Albany and Valdosta!
I think Thomasville might be a couple thousand ahead of Moultrie.

Oops, posted before I saw the other replies....

Old 06-11-2015, 11:52 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,867,128 times
From the 2010 Census:

Thomasville 18,413
Tifton 16,869
Moultrie ` 14,268

Colquitt County 45,498
Thomas County 44,720
Tift County 40,118

Old 06-12-2015, 12:01 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,942,401 times
Thanks all for the great reply's!

I've always been partial to Thomasville after living in Tallahassee for a few years as a teenager (after moving from here). I haven't been to either in years, and am way overdue for a visit.

Friends in Central/South FL tell me I wouldn't recognize Tallahassee, which I consider one of the best kept secrets in the South. It's certainly not a fit for everyone, but it's a great smaller city/region and quite beautiful.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:38 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,899,793 times
Quote:
Thanks all for the great reply's!

I've always been partial to Thomasville after living in Tallahassee for a few years as a teenager (after moving from here). I haven't been to either in years, and am way overdue for a visit.

Friends in Central/South FL tell me I wouldn't recognize Tallahassee, which I consider one of the best kept secrets in the South. It's certainly not a fit for everyone, but it's a great smaller city/region and quite beautiful.
SW Georgia is overall pretty poor. Thomasville is a bit of a contrast from many of the other areas. I've thought there should be a direct route to I-10 from Atlanta which could benefit SW Georgia (using I-75 takes you far to the east). Atlanta could have a western bypass, use I-185 to Columbus, then down to Albany and use some combination of 19 and/or 319 by Camilla and Thomasville and hit I-10 just east of Tallahassee. Certainly make it easier getting down there than getting off I-75 at Cordele or Tifton and driving on those side roads.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:22 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,363,625 times
Tallahassee is an undeniably beautiful city to me: wide avenues of moss draped oaks, oodles of gigantic blooming azaleas in early spring, the state government buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta