Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 03:50 PM

28 posts, read 208,247 times

Advertisements

If you or any one you know has bought, sold or had any contact with these home builders please leave your comment/feedback on each.
  1. YDI Inc (Luthers Mill)
  2. PACE HOMES
  3. VENTURE HOMES
  4. SCENIC HOMES
  5. RYLAND HOMES
  6. D.R.HORTON
  7. ROBERT HARRIS HOMES
  8. KNIGHT HOMES
From what I have read on this forum, I will be staying away from Homelife, Legacy & Altreus Homes.
I will also be increasing my budget for a new home in atlanta.

Please leave as much feedback as possible. It would suck if I paid more $ for a home with the same problems as some listed in the homes I plan to stay away from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 06:53 PM

196 posts, read 732,462 times
There are good and bad in them all, just like the ones you mention you will stay away from. Just shop carefully!!

Old 01-28-2008, 08:19 PM

28 posts, read 208,247 times
any other comments... would really appreciate it.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:17 AM

281 posts, read 1,054,953 times
DR HORTON? Look up my thread. Also see my thread on liens if you are buying new construction. Good in bad in all.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:35 PM

539 posts, read 2,103,124 times
Unhappy Scenic Homes

Our house was built by this developer. While you do get a lot of home for your money, the quality is poor. You know they old saying "you get what you pay for", well Scenic Homes doesn't stray from this. I'm not going to get into the nitty gritty but just as an example, we have large dips in our floors and when you walk on the carpeted areas you can actually feel some type of rubble that was left below the carpeting. I don't know if they forgot to sweep the subfloor or what! It feels like there are some pretty big rocks below my carpet. We plan on putting in all hard wood eventually, I'm afraid to see what we have been walking on. Again, this is just one complaint but it just seems like something so outlandish to me.

I've owned several new homes and this one just seems like it was put together in a terrible rush with an awful lot to be desired. We liked the fact that the home came with a pretty large lot, had a lot of square footage for the money and was finished when we needed it.

Oh and once you are moved in, don't ask for any assistance with any problems you have encountered. The office is there to sell and could care less about you once your in. We are still waiting for window screens and such after almost a year.

If you are looking for quality, I would look elsewhere.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:22 PM

5 posts, read 33,794 times
Hi,

Could you elaborate further on scenic homes. I am considering them strongly due to the space and price. Any additional feedback would be helpful.

Thanks !

Old 03-26-2008, 08:23 PM

75 posts, read 553,798 times
Which subdivision were you looking?

Old 03-26-2008, 08:23 PM

275 posts, read 1,545,280 times
Default Scenic Homes

Well we just purchased a Scenic homes and we are pleased. When we went through the first walk through, I made note of every single cosmetic problem I had and it was fixed. I talked to the Builder and I told him how I had some concerns b/c I heard how builders promise to do one thing and never follow through. I was very upfront with him and told him how the reputation gets out on such places like this. I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it but I've been very pleased.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:39 AM

539 posts, read 2,103,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rettogo View Post
Well we just purchased a Scenic homes and we are pleased. When we went through the first walk through, I made note of every single cosmetic problem I had and it was fixed. I talked to the Builder and I told him how I had some concerns b/c I heard how builders promise to do one thing and never follow through. I was very upfront with him and told him how the reputation gets out on such places like this. I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it but I've been very pleased.

I'm glad to hear that you had a great experience with Scenic. I wonder if it depends on the subdivision. I know that after we closed the sales office and superintendant couldn't even return our calls over the most minor things. (missing screen, touch up paint). After several months of trying to get even the smallest problems fixed we pretty much gave up and purchased the things on our own.

I wish that we had spoken with others in the subdivision before we purchased here. It's hard when you're moving from another state and have limited time and access to the area. I do believe that it would be worth the time to speak with others living in the specific subdivision no matter who the builder or developer is. Live and learn.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:50 AM

893 posts, read 791,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_mommy View Post
I'm glad to hear that you had a great experience with Scenic. I wonder if it depends on the subdivision. I know that after we closed the sales office and superintendant couldn't even return our calls over the most minor things. (missing screen, touch up paint). After several months of trying to get even the smallest problems fixed we pretty much gave up and purchased the things on our own.

I wish that we had spoken with others in the subdivision before we purchased here. It's hard when you're moving from another state and have limited time and access to the area. I do believe that it would be worth the time to speak with others living in the specific subdivision no matter who the builder or developer is. Live and learn.
Sorry for your experience Cool Mommy. We always try to go with smaller local builders to get more personal one on one service. Try to be more forceful with your demands. Fax a list to the builders office with a time frame of expectations. It is hard when moving so far and not knowing about builders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta