Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2017, 02:59 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,100,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
If it's a neighborhood mart it's ok, but we don't need a full Supercenter downtown.
No one said so, including myself. But a decent food retailer in that part of town would surely be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 03:59 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,240,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Why the GENTRIFICATION cycle?? Why not revitalize with an emphasis on mixed use/mixed income.....who needs another luxury apartment building ? There are luxury condo's in the area (Centenial Hills, Fairlie Poplar) which have a problem selling. Its not all about UPSCALE or LUXURY......
Amen. The last thing I want to see here is a Whole Foods. This everything luxury BS needs to stop.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:26 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,472,468 times
Funny how everyone loathes Walmart, yet the Walmart development in Chamblee came before all the other development that has followed. Now a Whole Foods is going up near there, lofts have been selling like hotcakes and a long-time car dealership sold to a developer whose turning the lot into mixed-use.

Walmart is not the worst thing that can happen to downtown.

Old 01-23-2017, 05:25 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,872,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post

Walmart is not the worst thing that can happen to downtown.
Exactly! That would be two Walmarts.

Old 01-23-2017, 05:37 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,872,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Those are pretty funny! We shop at Walmart all of the time, and I don't see what is wrong with having one downtown.
It is a matter of placement. San Francisco allowed a Costco but it went into an area that consisted of low rise body shop, muffler shop, lite industrial use properties. You don't want your first floor retail in your central business district to be massage parlors, nail salons, and pawn shops. Honolulu sold out by allowing a Walmart to move into a Macys space. They may have been the highest bidder and will probably provide more sales tax revenue from the property but it will drag down the surrounding neighborhood.

There's a reason that those Outlet Malls are on the edges of towns.

Old 01-23-2017, 05:38 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,240,118 times
Also, there is room for different grocery stores in the area. IMO, a Kroger at Underground and a TJs down by Turner Field would be optimal.

I will be honest, a Walmart at the center of downtown just seems a bit meh. Why? It does everything bare bones with little regard for design. They can spruce up the outside a bit, but the inside is always the same be it regular, super or neighborhood Walmart. At the center of the city, it's reasonable to expect more.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:44 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,362,007 times
No, Downtown/ Underground needs a "for real though" grocery store (Kroger, Publix, even a Food Depot or Wayfield). In her single days, my wife lived at the William-Oliver Building right at Five Points (On the Marietta Street and Peachtree Street side) She told me that she would go to Midtown (usually the Ansley Mall where there are two grocery stores) and come back to her building's parking deck (the really ugly green one on the southeast corner of Five Points (Peachtree and Decatur Street side) She had a collapsible buggy that would fold into her trunk. Yes the "midget" fake Kroger that used to be across from City Hall was there at the time, but a "real" shopping trip there was impossible AND it was many blocks further east. In order to get a week's worth of groceries: my wife would have to get into her car, drive to Midtown, park , get her groceries, drive back to the "green monster deck", park again, unfold and pack her collapsible buggy, go down the elevator to street level, navigating crossing the Five Points intersection. A full size, "for-real-though" Kroger or Publix at Underground Atlanta would have cut more than half of the steps (especially the parking/ driving ones, not the collapsible buggy crossing Five Points, though) ;0) A "mini-mart" or overpriced, under-selectioned Whole Foods is NOT what Downtown Atlanta needs to inspire lots or normal, middle income, tax paying people to live there. I know, I am one of them!

Old 01-24-2017, 01:17 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
I'm thinking a nice Publix along with a mid-sized CityTarget would be a good start...

Old 01-24-2017, 06:18 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
It is a matter of placement. San Francisco allowed a Costco but it went into an area that consisted of low rise body shop, muffler shop, lite industrial use properties. You don't want your first floor retail in your central business district to be massage parlors, nail salons, and pawn shops. Honolulu sold out by allowing a Walmart to move into a Macys space. They may have been the highest bidder and will probably provide more sales tax revenue from the property but it will drag down the surrounding neighborhood.

There's a reason that those Outlet Malls are on the edges of towns.
They need low rent and large parcels to make the margins work.

Old 01-24-2017, 06:28 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I'm thinking a nice Publix along with a mid-sized CityTarget would be a good start...
I love the CityTarget idea, but I'll take a Kroger over Publix. Kroger has always invested in urban Atlanta. Publix needed a subside from East Lake Foundation to build the East Lake store.
PS. I worked for Publix. They will not move into an area unless the avg income meets their qualification and this area does not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta