Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2016, 12:42 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,915,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
For one because 13th @ Peachtree and 5th @ Peachtree are a pretty far walk from the train. The ART allows for intermediate bus stations halfway between the train stations, such as at Baker St.

Also if you live in Brookwood or Garden Hills, and your job is somewhere in Midtown or Downtown, at Colony Square or somewhere along the Peachtree corridor, you shouldn't need to connect or transfer anywhere, or need to access the train. Should be one-seat ride.
People would much rather walk the 1/4 mile to the stations (as the Midtown Stations are 1/2 mile apart), if fact that is part of the reason MARTA has reduced the number of 110 trips south of Arts Center, because people would rather walk to the train stations. In the past you have called for ART stops to be spaced 1/4 mile apart, therefor extending the Peachtree ART line past Arts Center would not qualify.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 12:56 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,289,643 times
Either way, then. I would definitely be fine with the 110/Peach running as a simple loop BRT/ART on Peachtree Rd, between Brookhaven and Arts Center stations, with stations/stops only every roughly 1/4 mile, with 5-10 minute headways, and with signal priority and off-board fare. It would be like a light rail on rubber tires. Serious transit, for cheap.

Then do the exact same solution for the 5 BRT route, running a straight line along Piedmont and Roswell roads, from Lindbergh to a future Northridge station. Once that station exists, I would cancel the 87.

Also with the same BRT type service for the 39 route, along Buford highway, and the Clairmont and Ponce routes, and other key corridor routes. With the stops for those high frequency routes all shown on the map. Then MARTA is a serious system.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:03 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,170,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I would model it off the London Tude's map. It has a lot of connections and the transfers are simplified. Maybe use MTA's style? Where the streetcar and ART lines cross, make it a transfer point because it will happen. I would say make smaller circles for the streetcar and ART stops, use the large circles for existing rail and Clifton Corridor.
Also, on a personal note, please remove the parking for Clifton @ Memorial on ART 21.
You mean the London Tube.

But yes, I think their map has an excellent style of mapping, even with all the crossing transit and commuter lines. I would like to see MARTA's maps more like that one.

Still, I will say that today's MARTA rail maps are leaps and bounds better than the orange-and-blue-line maps that they got rid of years ago.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:15 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,896,586 times
Quote:
People would much rather walk the 1/4 mile to the stations (as the Midtown Stations are 1/2 mile apart), if fact that is part of the reason MARTA has reduced the number of 110 trips south of Arts Center, because people would rather walk to the train stations. In the past you have called for ART stops to be spaced 1/4 mile apart, therefor extending the Peachtree ART line past Arts Center would not qualify.
Not necessarily. I used to live in Midtown on Peachtree, between the Midtown and North Ave stations and the 110 was still useful south or Arts Center. If they keep the frequent headways up on the 110 and get digital route / wait time signage in Midtown (as currently planned by the Midtown Alliance) I could see the route becoming very useful in building ridership.

Remember every connection you force people to make you lose ridership. Taking MARTA from Midtown to Buckhead Village would not be near as appealing it it required a transfer at Arts Center instead of just hopping on the 110.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:15 AM

DeKalb considers sale tax for road repair | www.ajc.com
How will this effect the MARTA sales tax increase of .5%?

Old 01-26-2016, 08:43 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,704,974 times
Quote:
DeKalb considers sale tax for road repair | www.ajc.com
How will this effect the MARTA sales tax increase of .5%?
We'll have to see how bad the debate is compared to Fulton...

We really haven't heard much from DeKalb about the MARTA expansions at the county level. MARTA keeps mentioning it, but I have not heard anything from the county at all...

Old 01-26-2016, 09:16 AM

32,036 posts, read 36,869,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Not necessarily. I used to live in Midtown on Peachtree, between the Midtown and North Ave stations and the 110 was still useful south or Arts Center. If they keep the frequent headways up on the 110 and get digital route / wait time signage in Midtown (as currently planned by the Midtown Alliance) I could see the route becoming very useful in building ridership.

Remember every connection you force people to make you lose ridership. Taking MARTA from Midtown to Buckhead Village would not be near as appealing it it required a transfer at Arts Center instead of just hopping on the 110.
I have to agree. One of the great things about a good bus line is its immediacy. There's no gee-hawing about going to station, passing through turnstiles and winding your way up and down stairs and escalators.

The bus just comes by, you get on and bam, off you go.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I have to agree. One of the great things about a good bus line is its immediacy. There's no gee-hawing about going to station, passing through turnstiles and winding your way up and down stairs and escalators.

The bus just comes by, you get on and bam, off you go.
You act as if it takes 30 minutes to go thru the fare gates and walk down the stairs. Most bus stops do not offer seating or overhead protection.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:12 PM

32,036 posts, read 36,869,761 times
Quote:
You act as if it takes 30 minutes to go thru the fare gates and walk down the stairs. Most bus stops do not offer seating or overhead protection.
I didn't say 30 minutes but it usually does take a good 10 minutes or more to get to a rail station and navigate down to the platform. Add that to both ends of a trip.

And there's no reason we can't improve bus stops with canopies and seating.

That's why I say we should flood the zone with buses (and scooters).

Old 01-26-2016, 04:46 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,170,272 times
Quote:
For those of us who are able-bodied, we just have to go through the fare gates and up or down the stairs or escalator.

For those of us who aren't, just moving through the station--or moving anywhere--can require some real effort. Thank God for the ADA that made this passage slightly less difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta