Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2016, 10:27 AM

7,360 posts, read 6,534,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Matt, I am a regular transit user & buyer of fares.
I never said you weren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 11:21 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,697,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
I want this so much.

Even this would be a great start.

Again, though, one very minor quibble--do you think that these LRT/streetcar lines should have colors other than red/gold/blue/green, to avoid confusion with the HRT lines of the same color?
Yeah, they probably should be. I just used the ones given by the images in the Plan.

Old 04-01-2016, 11:37 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,882,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
I never said you weren't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
You want to push the burden of paying for infrastructure to just the riders instead of everyone that benefits from it. The only reason you would want to do that is so you can sit back, pay for nothing, but enjoy all the benefits of a thriving city.

Old 04-01-2016, 11:50 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,882,415 times
Quote:
I want this so much.

Even this would be a great start.

Again, though, one very minor quibble--do you think that these LRT/streetcar lines should have colors other than red/gold/blue/green, to avoid confusion with the HRT lines of the same color?
I think they should use letters or numbers. The current downtown streetcar uses 'A Line'

Old 04-01-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Pretty sure he's referencing your laissez-faire attitude about the free market. There're more benefits and costs associated with piece of infrastructure serving society at large, than are really covered in the user fees by default.

So it makes sense of society at large to help fund a service that is not explicitly profitable, because it increases quality of life. Example: increased funding in education so that the poor can attend school, leads to a drop in crime, increase in public health, and generally leads to a higher level of technology. That in turn creates more people who can work in higher-tech fields, start their own businesses, invent, create, etc.

I do not subscribe to Libertarian, pure Free-Market capitalism, as I'm sure you can tell, and I have a feeling that Matt thinks similarly.

Old 04-01-2016, 12:34 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,162,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Pretty sure he's referencing your laissez-faire attitude about the free market. There're more benefits and costs associated with piece of infrastructure serving society at large, than are really covered in the user fees by default.

So it makes sense of society at large to help fund a service that is not explicitly profitable, because it increases quality of life. Example: increased funding in education so that the poor can attend school, leads to a drop in crime, increase in public health, and generally leads to a higher level of technology. That in turn creates more people who can work in higher-tech fields, start their own businesses, invent, create, etc.

I do not subscribe to Libertarian, pure Free-Market capitalism, as I'm sure you can tell, and I have a feeling that Matt thinks similarly.
But...but...the unregulated market is the best thing ever! It saves us all! Because the Lord God Reagan told me so! In a vision that I have night after night!

Old 04-01-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
But...but...the unregulated market is the best thing ever! It saves us all! Because the Lord God Reagan told me so! In a vision that I have night after night!
I am not really a fan of Reagan.

I guess y'all are just going to have to keep waiting in the soviet bread lines / traffic till you figure out that markets actually are the best way to distribute finite resources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Sorry, if y'all want to get off on this tangent again you should bring it up in one of the old threads again where I already have responded.

Old 04-01-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Sorry, if y'all want to get off on that tangent again you should bring it up in one of the old threads again where I already have responded.
I really don't, and I actually don't mean to offend anyone for their opinion on the matter either. I was mostly trying to explain where Matt's statements came from, and got a bit wordy.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:26 PM

7,360 posts, read 6,534,071 times
Quote:
Read it again, I said you WANT to be able to sit back and pay nothing, something you have made abundantly clear over the years.
Quote:
I am not really a fan of Reagan. *SNIP*

I guess y'all are just going to have to keep waiting in the soviet bread lines / traffic till you figure out that markets actually are the best way to distribute finite resources.
Have any evidence to back that up or do you just like calling everything you don't agree with "communism?"

Quote:
Sorry, if y'all want to get off on this tangent again you should bring it up in one of the old threads again where I already have responded.
Nope, if you don't want to talk about it, then you don't bring it up. Silencing the other side of the argument doesn't mean you win.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:47 PM

Matt,

I am happy to pay for products and services I recieve. You are the only one offering to support free loaders by giving out services to free to everyone including non-users & non-tax payers.

I dont' call everything communism. But the only real option to a market based economy is a command based economy which is the signiture economic policy of communism. I do call out non-market solutions for what they are.

Transportation infrastructure by definition is not a public good. Expecially once it gets to the point of congestion. That means it works best by having users pay for it. There are plenty examples out there of the best transportation systems suceeding by charging users by what they use, and the failures not. What is the best transit system that does not charge a fare that you can name?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta