Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2016, 08:09 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,242,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post

There's just seems to be a lot of reactionary opposition to his piece because he didn't buy the current plans lock, stock and barrel.
I was really interested in what this guy has to say as he is local, at GT, and an expert. But this article is pretty terrible. It seems like the guy is stuck on a planning formula he has been teaching and was ignoring glaring variables in the process. How academic...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 08:54 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,262,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Transit Planning 101 for the City of Atlanta: It

I don't see what exactly this guy is arguing for. Anyone enlighten me? The Beltline transit will already be connecting to ponce and running route parallel to it a block over down North Ave. Beltline transit is not the only transit being considered and many of the "O&D" connections already exist or planned to be covered by the Beltline or other projects. West side will be getting just as much, if not larger investment than the east side. MARTA will probably be running the Beltline transit since this funding is a MARTA tax.
I'd like to see some evidence behind the claim that the process he suggested isn't exactly what the city did with the streetcar system plan. I actually went to the meetings; I saw how it was planned. I saw the changes that were made. He claims that the route was decided from the beginning, but I don't remember him speaking at the meetings I went to, the ones where those routes were talked about and actual residents gave their input.

Why is he only speaking up years after the process began?

Old 04-04-2016, 10:09 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,697,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
We have limited transportation dollars. We need to service existing places and build them up, not adopt a "build it and they will come" mentality.
There's a certain truth to this, but it's still misguided. Everyone of the 'nodes' that he mentioned as needing to be connected, is planned to receive high-capacity transit, with a plan on how to fund it.

Ponce is getting streetcar via North ave and Eastside BeltLine.

Downtown and Midtown are both slated to get multiple streetcar routes, will possibly get infill stations, will probably get improved bus service, and are already served by MARTA heavy rail.

Lindbergh will get Clifton Corridor service, eventual BeltLine and Streetcar service, and is already served by MARTA heavy rail.

Buckhead was going to get streetcar service, but pulled themselves out of the plan. They may change their minds later. Buckhead is also already served by MARTA heavy rail.

Northside is planned to get streetcars, and will probably get increased bus service in the mean time.

CDC / Emory is getting light rail via Clifton Corridor.

These were all nodes / corridors that he straight up claims aren't going to receive service, yet they are all in the plans to receive some form of rail-based transit, some of them as part of the November Referendum, which will provide funds for them.

That, and there's certainly a basis for a "build it and they will come" mentality. As others have said, some amount of development is coming whether or not we lake it. We can influence where it will go, and help it integrate into the city at large by providing supporting infrastructure. That's literally the point of infrastructure.

The thing is, our current plans are either already set to serve existing/future development, or are not yet in stone enough to keep them from potentially serving more. Yeah the current streetcar plans are for the West and Eastside trails, but that'll only be a fraction of the November referendum's project list. We could very well see more, or ART routes, or other light-rail lines, or anything else transit related.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:13 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,882,415 times
City of Atlanta and MARTA can create transit model in age of micro-regionalism - SaportaReport
Another great read by Maria Saporta.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:25 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,882,415 times
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...zchBpZmbBK1RMg
2007 Infill Station Report. Page 22 and on looks at the possibility of having infill stations. Page 24 shows costs in millions (2007 dollars).

Old 04-05-2016, 06:42 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,755,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
2007 Infill Station Report. Page 22 and on looks at the possibility of having infill stations. Page 24 shows costs in millions (2007 dollars).

Old 04-05-2016, 07:30 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,903,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
I'd like to see some evidence behind the claim that the process he suggested isn't exactly what the city did with the streetcar system plan. I actually went to the meetings; I saw how it was planned. I saw the changes that were made. He claims that the route was decided from the beginning, but I don't remember him speaking at the meetings I went to, the ones where those routes were talked about and actual residents gave their input.

Why is he only speaking up years after the process began?
We're about to spend several billion dollars (assuming the plan passes).

Old 04-05-2016, 07:37 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,903,765 times
Quote:
She also suggests a "methodical" approach.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:41 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,882,447 times
Quote:
Good link. The end of this report highlights one of the things I have been thinking about recently: access enhancements to existing stations. Specifically, "E3 Inman Park / Reynoldstown". The existing station is built in a primarily bus / car setup extending west from the platform. But there is a great opportunity for a foot connection to the east. The station platform is only about 500ft from Moreland @ Edgewood retail district where other new denser developments are coming in. A pedestrian station access there would do wonders to improve the visibility and accessibility in that area. In addition, that access point would be a half mile from the center of Little Five Points, making that destination suddenly much more walkable from MARTA rail than the approximate mile walk through neighborhood back streets it takes today.

If there was one best-bang-for-your-buck improvement MARTA could make, that would probably be it.

Last edited by jsvh; 04-05-2016 at 08:06 AM..

Old 04-05-2016, 08:09 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,125,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Good link. The end of this report highlights one of the things I have been thinking about recently: access enhancements to existing stations. Specifically, "E3 Inman Park / Reynoldstown". The existing station is built in a primarily bus / car setup extending west from the platform. But there is a great opportunity for a foot connection to the east. The station platform is only about 500ft from Moreland @ Edgewood retail district where other new denser developments are coming in. A pedestrian station access there would do wonders to improve the visibility and accessibility in that area. In addition, that access point would be a half mile from the center of Little Five Points, making that destination suddenly much more walkable from MARTA rail than the approximate mile walk through neighborhood back streets it takes today.

If there was one best-bang-for-your-buck improvement MARTA could make, that would probably be it.
A less costly option would be to rebuild the south entrance so that it faces towards Moreland and not away from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta