Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 11:37 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,311,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Pot, meet kettle. You specialize in toxic statements.
Coming from a person who just downplayed the horror of chattel slavery in the western hemisphere?

Right...

You've been called out.

Not just by me. But by others.

You can have the moral humane decency to either retract your downplaying of one of human history's most horrible, evil, and nightmarish events...or let it be revealed who you truly are.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:42 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,384,645 times
Can we just agree that they are both bad?

Killing someone with arsenic over years, and killing them immediately with a gun, are both murder. We are just discussing which is the lesser "murder". Sorry but that bridge was crossed - results are the same.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:51 AM

I guess I've gotten a little impatient with these issues.

It seems like every year has gone by...and I have yet to see an epiphany on a massive scale when it comes to these issues. Always the pretense stuff.

Always the hand-holding and trying to soothe the fragile egos of those who do not want to let their guard down.

Right now I am totally feeling what this young lady is preaching.

https://www.facebook.com/FusionNetwo...93030/?fref=nf

Old 07-20-2015, 07:55 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,942,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Coming from a person who just downplayed the horror of chattel slavery in the western hemisphere?

Right...

You've been called out.

Not just by me. But by others.

You can have the moral humane decency to either retract your downplaying of one of human history's most horrible, evil, and nightmarish events...or let it be revealed who you truly are.
Attempt to shame me all you wish, it's nothing new.

I already expressed that both events were horrible, but they are not the same.

If you are unable to grasp that, that's on you. There is nothing anyone can say that will change my opinion. One of them was absolutely more evil than the other in it's planning and execution. Period.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:29 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,262,264 times
Comparing the relative evil of the holocaust and slavery just makes you look like an idiot.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:

If you are unable to grasp that, that's on you. There is nothing anyone can say that will change my opinion. One of them was absolutely more evil than the other in it's planning and execution. Period.
Ok good for you. Stand tall in yours. You are honest about who you are. I can respect that.

If nothing else you provided me with a psychological profile to watch for.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:13 PM

16,707 posts, read 29,542,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
Comparing the relative evil of the holocaust and slavery just makes you look like an idiot.

Amen.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Ok good for you. Stand tall in yours. You are honest about who you are. I can respect that.

If nothing else you provided me with a psychological profile to watch for.
Continue to insult me all you wish. This is a difference of opinion about the intentions, planning and execution of both events. To suggest that I now meet some sort of profile you need to be watchful of is beyond insane, but again not surprising.

This started because I dared to state my opinion that sandblasting the carving on Stone Mountain was Taliban-like behavior to erase history. It's wrong.

I honestly believe in my heart that slavery and the still existing repercussions resulting from it are beyond horrible. However, to suggest that there was some sort of 'grand master plan' to eradicate the black race at the beginning of slavery compared to what the Nazis executed is ridiculous. There wasn't, and history proves it.

I'm about as liberal and progressive as they come, but I don't do 'political correctness' and that is exactly what this smacks of by those of you so strongly condemning me.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:17 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,867,128 times
Quote:

JMatl, let me offer this, and please try to open your view for just this post.

The evil of slavery was that it was an entrenched system supported by all the powers of Europe to colonize the new world. By the time it came to the southern American colonies, it was already a well heeled, well funded enterprise. Remember South America and the Caribbean were explored and colonized as profit centers for European interests long before the current US was seen as very profitable. African slavery was imported to the colonies from the Caribbean where it had quite a head start.

The horror to me... what if I had been born 120 years earlier? What if this concept which is so evil in our minds now was the norm? Would I have gone to war for the south, my home, over this? I shudder to think that I probably would have because I have ancestors on two different branches of the family tree that did. How did they feel? Neither of these two owned slaves, just small time farmers (even though I do know one of them was a descendant of a slave owner).

That such a system was pervasive and good men did nothing to stop its course.... I mean, really (as I place myself in their shoes) what could they do? Hindsight is certainly 20/20 and I could make some grandiose claims of heroism that I am unable to prove....

Compare that to one man that certainly did evil. But the fact that it was more blatant makes it much less worse when looked at in the whole. That nations came together and fought the cruelty of Nazism and many gave their all to stop his brand of evil in a matter of 6 years, well it cannot compare to that of slavery. The fact that slavery persisted for centuries in an entire hemisphere makes it much, much worse.

Maybe not how others here would sum it up, but do give this pause please.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
JMatl, let me offer this, and please try to open your view for just this post.

The evil of slavery was that it was an entrenched system supported by all the powers of Europe to colonize the new world. By the time it came to the southern American colonies, it was already a well heeled, well funded enterprise. Remember South America and the Caribbean were explored and colonized as profit centers for European interests long before the current US was seen as very profitable. African slavery was imported to the colonies from the Caribbean where it had quite a head start.

The horror to me... what if I had been born 120 years earlier? What if this concept which is so evil in our minds now was the norm? Would I have gone to war for the south, my home, over this? I shudder to think that I probably would have because I have ancestors on two different branches of the family tree that did. How did they feel? Neither of these two owned slaves, just small time farmers (even though I do know one of them was a descendant of a slave owner).

That such a system was pervasive and good men did nothing to stop its course.... I mean, really (as I place myself in their shoes) what could they do? Hindsight is certainly 20/20 and I could make some grandiose claims of heroism that I am unable to prove....

Compare that to one man that certainly did evil. But the fact that it was more blatant makes it much less worse when looked at in the whole. That nations came together and fought the cruelty of Nazism and many gave their all to stop his brand of evil in a matter of 6 years, well it cannot compare to that of slavery. The fact that slavery persisted for centuries in an entire hemisphere makes it much, much worse.

Maybe not how others here would sum it up, but do give this pause please.
I agree with every single thing you stated, Saintmarks. Thank you.

I have a differing opinion about the beginnings of both events, and it's obvious my opinion is misunderstood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta