Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 07:37 PM

7,357 posts, read 6,525,292 times

Advertisements

NAACP wants removal of Confederate generals from Stone Mountain | www.wsbtv.com
Will this nonsense ever end? They literally want to bring down a significant portion of the mountain. This goes beyond any kind of symbol association right into burying history. I seriously expect these type of people to go after books next, text books, novels, and whatever else they can sniff out.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:47 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,228,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Will this nonsense ever end? They literally want to bring down a significant portion of the mountain. This goes beyond any kind of symbol association right into burying history. I seriously expect these type of people to go after books next, text books, novels, and whatever else they can sniff out.
Won't happen....besides, replace it with what? The Preident, Eric Holder, and the Mayor of Baltimore???

Old 07-13-2015, 07:58 PM

364 posts, read 418,234 times
Quote:
Right because the only choice is ignoring the confederacy existed or immortalizing the traitors with a major monument and acting as if there weren't racist motives for the monument considering it was commissioned by the KKK

Old 07-13-2015, 07:59 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Textbooks yes, at least in Texas: New Texas textbooks whitewash Civil War history - Business Insider

Old 07-13-2015, 08:12 PM

559 posts, read 832,373 times
Quote:

Political correctness gone horribly wrong.

Next, let's dig through history and find any presidents, military leaders, governors, etc who mistreated or spoke unfavorably about women, jews, latinos, homosexuals, transgenders, atheists, American Indians, short people, fat people, poor people, handicapped people - both mental and physical .... and erase them from all visible and written history, as if their moments of mistreating said people defines their entire life, body of work, and contribution to this earth.

Our great country has become a society of whiny victims, just looking for the next person to hurt their feelings.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:14 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,119,427 times
This is entering ISIS/Taliban levels of erasure idiocy.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:17 PM

32,020 posts, read 36,777,542 times
This thing with the Stone Mountain carving is ridiculous.

That being said, Texas is playing with fire to literally rewrite history. Bad business.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:20 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPark View Post
Political correctness gone horribly wrong.

Next, let's dig through history and find any presidents, military leaders, governors, etc who mistreated or spoke unfavorably about women, jews, latinos, homosexuals, transgenders, atheists, American Indians, short people, fat people, poor people, handicapped people - both mental and physical .... and erase them from all visible and written history, as if their moments of mistreating said people defines their entire life, body of work, and contribution to this earth.

Our great country has become a society of whiny victims, just looking for the next person to hurt their feelings.
They are trying to change the names of 6 schools in Houston named after confederate soldiers or officials even though 3 of those were also Texas Independence heros.

They are trying to dig up Nathan Bedford Forest and his wife in Memphis out of a city park and move their graves and the statue there.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:24 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
This thing with the Stone Mountain carving is ridiculous.

That being said, Texas is playing with fire to literally rewrite history. Bad business.
That article is from the Washington Post so you should take it with a grain of salt. There are some extremists on the Texas textbook committee, but you can't take a northeast source on Texas seriously. I don't see any sources out there complaining about it but far left publications. If I saw more moderate publications complaining I might take it more seriously. I suspect they are taking wording here and there out of context.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:56 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,776,450 times
It's art.

I think they should add union troops to the rock face and call it a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta