Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 01:49 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,744 times

Advertisements

Its not walkable. The town is built for cars and carts. From walkscore.com 'Peachtree City is a Car-Dependent city
Almost all errands require a car.'

And I'm not a Liberal. Or do you live in this world where someone can only be a Conservative or Liberal, nothing else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 01:55 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
Its not walkable. The town is built for cars and carts. From walkscore.com 'Peachtree City is a Car-Dependent city
Almost all errands require a car.'

And I'm not a Liberal. Or do you live in this world where someone can only be a Conservative or Liberal, nothing else?
"It's a terrible place ... It's terribly conservative."

Sound pretty damn liberal to me! Unless you're an independent in which case I apologize.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:59 PM

Politically I am a member of the Whig Party (founded by Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans and decidedly moderate). I, however, take a dim view of Lynn Westmoreland the Congressman for P'tree City.

The town is too conservative and if we were discussing say Berkley California, I'd say its too liberal.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Politically I am a member of the Whig Party (founded by Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans and decidedly moderate). I, however, take a dim view of Lynn Westmoreland the Congressman for P'tree City.

The town is too conservative and if we were discussing say Berkley California, I'd say its too liberal.
Do you live in PTC? Just curious. And while the OP didn't say I suspect that his reasons for wanting to move to Peachtree City have a lot to do with the schools which are truly excellent -- unlike those in liberal enclaves like City of Atlanta and Dekalb. Funny how that works, huh?

Last edited by Newsboy; 08-10-2015 at 02:39 PM..

Old 08-10-2015, 06:22 PM

No I don't live there. My parents live nearby though. So I spend quite a bit of time in the area.

And poor schools have less to do with politics and more to do with the fact that kids come from poor households with sometimes absent parents, and parents that can afford to do so in the city send their children to private school (I used to live in New Orleans, while NOLA has poor public schools the private schools which are incredibly popular in Orleans Parish are among the best in the nation such as McGee, Ursuline, Newman, etc or in the case of Atlanta, Woodward Academy etc)

Old 08-10-2015, 08:31 PM

145 posts, read 166,133 times
Look at the average home prices and you can do the math. Higher incomes create higher tax revenue, ergo schools with more resources.

The highlights of PTC, especially if you have young children, is the relative safety you can feel. It's when you get to HS and older does it start to feel boring.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:15 PM

I'm not putting down the idea of small towns, but PTC would have been better off to build itself around the idea of traditional small town Americana. Town square, walkable retail.

It is too spread out and too dependant on golf carts.

I understand the safety aspect to some degree.
Right now I'm finishing up my Master's degree in the UK (I am in my 30s, a bit older than most but not all students). I currently live in Glasgow (although I will be returning for a time to PTC in 4 weeks until I can find a new employer, which I hope will be either in coastal Virginia or New England). Its funny for all the bad press Glasgow gets in the UK as a violent city, I can walk around here at night (which I wouldn't have done in New Orleans), I don't need a car to walk up to the nearest grocer, or to the movie theater. If I want to go to Edinburgh or London I can easily walk down to Central Station and hop the train (I know trains...now I'm shooting for the moon). And generally you don't see as many fat people here although I think the food isn't of any higher or healthier quality than in the US.

I am a Georgia native, unlike many in the Atlanta area...it kills me that it is so difficult to get around the region unless you invest in a car. I also have come to believe its part of the reason why people are so overweight.

We ought to do better for our country. We're supposed to be leading by example, not falling behind. God, Georgia could be an example for the region or the nation, instead making even the most simplistic changes to having better communities seems so hard.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:20 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
No I don't live there. My parents live nearby though. So I spend quite a bit of time in the area.

And poor schools have less to do with politics and more to do with the fact that kids come from poor households with sometimes absent parents, and parents that can afford to do so in the city send their children to private school (I used to live in New Orleans, while NOLA has poor public schools the private schools which are incredibly popular in Orleans Parish are among the best in the nation such as McGee, Ursuline, Newman, etc or in the case of Atlanta, Woodward Academy etc)

Exactly.

The conservative argument made no sense...

I wonder why there was no mentioning of the top schools in the liberal enclaves of the City of Decatur, Massachusetts, etc, etc...

Old 08-11-2015, 01:34 AM

Quote:
I'm not putting down the idea of small towns, but PTC would have been better off to build itself around the idea of traditional small town Americana. Town square, walkable retail.

It is too spread out and too dependant on golf carts.
Do you know anything about the history of PTC? It was founded in 1959 and modeled on the "garden cities" that sprung up across Europe during the years following WWII (to meet a huge housing shortage). It is designed around 5 villages, each with a commercial center, schools, churches, recreation amenities and parks, all linked by paved walking and bicycle paths. The popularity of golf carts only arose after members of the Flat Creek Country Club began using them to get around. The were never part of the plan and most certainly not intentional; as new residents moved in they embraced the novel concept.
Quote:
I don't need a car to walk up to the nearest grocer, or to the movie theater. If I want to go to Edinburgh or London I can easily walk down to Central Station and hop the train (I know trains...now I'm shooting for the moon). And generally you don't see as many fat people here although I think the food isn't of any higher or healthier quality than in the US.

I am a Georgia native, unlike many in the Atlanta area...it kills me that it is so difficult to get around the region unless you invest in a car. I also have come to believe its part of the reason why people are so overweight.
Fat people. God forbid. Some of the most incredible human beings I know on this planet have the misfortune of being overweight. I suppose you're the model of physical fitness?

Attitudes like yours are disgusting and insulting. Stay in Europe for god's sake if all the "fat Americans" offend you so much. Can you be any more judgmental and condescending?!

Last edited by Newsboy; 08-11-2015 at 02:39 AM..

Old 08-11-2015, 10:16 AM

Did I say that fat people were somehow bad people? No. What I am saying is much of our built environment does not encourage you using the tools for which God gave you to move, e.g. your legs. Plus the built environment is designed with the expectation that you spend a lot of money to get around. Those golf carts aren't inexpensive and of course, neither are cars.

I'm quite familiar with PTC. I grew up in south metro Atlanta. Graduated from Lovejoy High School in 1993 (and my parents move further south to get away from Clayton).

You can be as offended as you want if you cannot handle the truth (and you are reading a lot into what I am saying, which does not align with what I am actually saying). This country is supposed to lead, set the tone and the example. We have failed in this over the past 40 years but not all is lost. It requires us, as Americans to live up to our potential and conduct ourselves better and have higher expectations for our communities.

I am harsh on PTC but don't get me wrong. There is far worse out there, like Riverdale for example. I am harsh on PTC though because so many think that PTC is be all and end all to the pinnacle of high society. Its not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta