Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 04:32 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,858,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanarkand A East View Post
Idiots are running red lights all over town, and someone is going to get killed. The police aren't doing a damn thing about it.
How prevalent is honking in Midtown and or Downtown? I'm referring to honking immediately, when the light turns green. When I hear honking, the light has already turned yellow. Then, one or two cars proceed through a red light. Perhaps those vehicles may have been able to safely proceed if the first person hadn't wasted time sitting there.

This is what I see. Of course, I'm not referring to Midtown or Downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 05:23 PM

416 posts, read 972,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Not to mention coming into the city to purchase drugs, solicit prostitutes and buy X-rated videos from stores on Cheshire Bridge Road! That kind of stuff needs to stay in Alpharetta.
I take you have not been on the seedy side of Milton

Old 08-10-2015, 07:19 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,442,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
What is it with drivers completely disregarding a lot of the laws that you don't see drivers break in other areas of the metro.

In Midtown I daily see people who will just stop there car on the road wherever and throw on their flashers as if that makes it okay to stop in the middle of the road.

Then there are the people who will make left or right turns on one-ways from the middle lanes completely ignoring all the people they are cutting off in the lanes they cross over.

Blocking the crosswalks, and refusing to stop at the crosswalks that have flashers... I often have to force myself into the crosswalk to get cars to stop.

I've even seen asshats go the wrong way down a one-way on purpose, over by the LA Fitness on Spring St. because they are too lazy to drive into the parking deck the proper way and I guess they think, "oh its only 50-100ft. who cares?"

I never see stuff like this in suburbs and what-not. I wonder why people get like this when they are driving in the urban areas.
People stopping in the middle of the road with flashers are likely Uber and Lyft drivers. Remedy is for users to request rides like not on Peachtree and have a car waiting should be a no brainier. My thing is allowing a left turn on Peachtree during the evening rush and causing huge backups.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:03 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,527,077 times
Quote:
What is it with drivers completely disregarding a lot of the laws that you don't see drivers break in other areas of the metro.

In Midtown I daily see people who will just stop there car on the road wherever and throw on their flashers as if that makes it okay to stop in the middle of the road.

Then there are the people who will make left or right turns on one-ways from the middle lanes completely ignoring all the people they are cutting off in the lanes they cross over.

Blocking the crosswalks, and refusing to stop at the crosswalks that have flashers... I often have to force myself into the crosswalk to get cars to stop.

I've even seen asshats go the wrong way down a one-way on purpose, over by the LA Fitness on Spring St. because they are too lazy to drive into the parking deck the proper way and I guess they think, "oh its only 50-100ft. who cares?"

I never see stuff like this in suburbs and what-not. I wonder why people get like this when they are driving in the urban areas.
I was just driving downtown this weekend and this very thing happened to us, the wife was pissed, but I was on chill mode. It comes with the territory. Coming down baker street toward Marietta and this Fed Ex driver just stops in the middle of the road goes into the Hilton with no package, the misses is reaching over blowing the horn...im like chill look behind us. Cars are backed up all the way to Olympic Park to the Coke Museum lol...the driver comes out eating a sandwich. I just bust out laughing, just it was so uncalled for. I tried to explain to my woman there is not many places to park so drivers will pull those kinda of stunts. Always expect anything in both Downtown and Midtown when it comes to driving. I had this guy total loss my 2006 Lexus back in 09 on the corner of Forsyth and Brotherton, he hit me in the back going like 50 miles per hour! He was trying to find the Greyhound station to pick up a relative...dude lived in Morrow...REALLY?? Thank God I was turning when he hit me. Suburban minded drivers have no clue how to drive in urban settings. Its different rules. Lots of stop and go. I normally use Marta, but was dropping of a friend to Hooters for work. So I was gonna be in and out and WAM!!! TOTAL LOSS of a car I almost had paid off. People cant drive in the burbs and they cant drive in the city.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:

Its every man for himself in the city. Most people dont live in the city and they hate the rules. The crosswalks are annoying so you have to walk behind the car on the crosswalk to avoid on coming traffic. They drive bad in the burbs too, its just less rules and more space. People are used to turning whenever they want and where ever they want. So one ways annoy them especially if they dont know the city. I see it all the time people naturally hate pedestrians and they hate cyclists. They dont under the urban streets are for slowly getting aroumd people, but many behave like the people are in the wrong.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:58 PM

13 posts, read 17,555 times
This reminds me of a new stunt I saw the other day: I'm sitting at one of the typical red lights that seemingly has 200 cars backed up waiting their turn to finally get through the intersection. I'm wayyyy back in the "still several light cycles to go before I make it" zone, and I notice a car about 30 feet or so behind me just sitting still in the center turn lane (one of those lanes that serves as a left/right turn lane and then becomes a left-turn-only lane as it gets closer to the intersection). This car doesn't have a turn signal on...it's just sitting there and sitting there long enough for me to start wondering what the guy is up to. When the light turns green, he suddenly takes off like a rocket and heads straight for the intersection (the turn lane he's in is now wide open since all the left-turning cars proceeded on the left turn arrow just before the green light)...then just before he reaches the intersection he slides into one of the inevitable gaps that opens up between the proceeding cars. Basically, he cut in line big time and saved himself several minutes of wait time (but it was still a jerk move and not a wise gamble by any means).

Old 08-11-2015, 05:08 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,963,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
Suburban minded drivers have no clue how to drive in urban settings. Its different rules. Lots of stop and go. I normally use Marta, but was dropping of a friend to Hooters for work. So I was gonna be in and out and WAM!!! TOTAL LOSS of a car I almost had paid off. People cant drive in the burbs and they cant drive in the city.
Quote:
Its every man for himself in the city. Most people dont live in the city and they hate the rules. The crosswalks are annoying so you have to walk behind the car on the crosswalk to avoid on coming traffic. They drive bad in the burbs too, its just less rules and more space. People are used to turning whenever they want and where ever they want. So one ways annoy them especially if they dont know the city. I see it all the time people naturally hate pedestrians and they hate cyclists. They dont under the urban streets are for slowly getting aroumd people, but many behave like the people are in the wrong.
Couldn't agree with you more.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:15 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
^^^This^^^
/Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 06:03 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times
Quote:
+ infinity.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Those drivers are most likely commuters, from the suburbs and since they don't live in Atlanta they simply do not care about those that call Downtown and Midtown home.
Cqholt is correct these people are behind the wheel saying things like

"why is this stupid trolley in my way?"

"why is every other street a ONE WAY?"

"why is this cyclist in the road? they need to be on the sidewalk where the people are WALKING!"

"why cant I turn here??"

They want to race through the core like how they race though the burbs.

The City is a whole different beast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta