Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 12:38 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,048,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Honestly, almost all of the issues you describe have absolutely nothing to do with what county you live in.
Exactly. I was expecting to read something about trash pickup or other county services, not private companies that have no connection to the county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 12:40 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,025,740 times
Most Power Outages, are "local" not grid.

A car hit Pole.
A tree takes down the lines.
Ice weights down a line.
A transformer blows out.

Its very rare to have a Grid Outage,

Most substation are dual feed (from two directions) So a feeder line going out should not have a effect on the station.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:45 PM

41 posts, read 50,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Have you reached out to the Sandy Springs Charter Middle School PTA?

They could potentially be a good resource and help alleviate your concerns.

Moreover, telling them about your issues may be a fast way to get some changes made. And I'm sure they would love to have another active, involved parent in the school.

PTA

The Sandy Springs Charter Middle School Foundation (another great parental/community resource):
Sandy Springs Charter Middle School Foundation

I also recommend reaching out to parents at North Springs Charter High School:

https://northspringsspartans.members...m/spartans_PTO

https://northspringsfons.membershiptoolkit.com

https://northspringsspartans.membershiptoolkit.com

Academic Excellence
Thank you so much! This is the help I need.

To the other person who said I am shifting blame. I never blamed Fulton County for my AC issues. I was just ranting on the insane snowball effect of everything that has taken place since we decided to move. My initial title stands. I regret moving to Fulton County. I was unaware that some folks don't have to use Ga Power in Fulton. My issue with them is that they can't seem to keep the power on. Thankfully, I didn't have to stick to Comcast.

My biggest beef is with the school system. Yep, I stayed out of Dekalb just across the street, bc I read they were the worst. I really just wanted my daughter to be part of a public school system, even though we can afford to send her to private school. I wanted her to enter the arts charter at North Springs. I wanted her to be in a more diverse area, because the world is becoming more diverse. Unfortunately, the vicious cycle of poverty and racism continues. My daughter's best friend from her old school was a black girl. She actually has several black friends from her old school. While the school isn't nearly as diverse there, she felt comfortable making friends with all cultures. We are not a family that tolerates superiority of anyone due to race, gender, sexuality, or nationality. She came home yesterday and was depressed that she feels singled out because she is Caucasian. She was honestly bewildered because the only girls who spoke kindly to her were non-black. The only black student that spoke to her directly wasn't nice and said, "what you looking at?", and that was because my daughter turned around to see the disturbance the group of friends were making in French class. She said that all the Spanish speaking kids stick together and all the white kids do, too. Did I honestly move my daughter out of a Cobb County (very red area) school with the intentions of putting her into a diverse school, only to find extreme segregation within the school, and fear that this will instill prejudice that was never there before? Do I continue letting my child be the guinea pig in my quest to be the change I seek in the world, or do I put her into private school? I'm an adult. I understand systemic racism and poverty. My child is 12 and can't grasp why many children in her school are the way they are.

So yeah, is that Fulton County's fault? No, but it doesn't change the fact that I regret moving back to Fulton County. That's a bitter pill to swallow and say.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:46 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,865,544 times
I, too, live in "Sandwoody." She is correct about power outages. I have been stuck in my neighborhood at least three times in the past few years due to trees falling and taking out power lines. More annoyingly, the power flickers frequently (awful when you're working on something on the Internet).

We are one of the many families who are spending beyond their means to go to the private schools. I am zoned for the same middle school she is discussing, and there is just no way I'd send my kids there. It's a hot mess.

So, some of the stuff she's complaining about is a local/specific-to-here issue. But there are many, many positives about this part of town. You couldn't pay me enough to live way up in North Cobb/Cherokee and force me to deal with that traffic to get to town. So, it's a tradeoff.

And, OP, if you have questions about private schools in the area, please feel to DM me.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
I've had the opportunity to drive up into the norther reaches of the metro for work a few times, and more than anything the experience of driving on those freeways (85, 75, 400, north of the perimeter) is so stressful and frustrating that I felt like it was taking years off my life. One of my favorite things about my intown neighborhood is that almost everything I've needed in the past year has been either within walking distance or a short drive away.
My husband spent, at least, 1.5 hours in the car commuting each day. Most days it was 2 hours. Five days a week is ten hours a week commuting. Four weeks of vacation (that he hardly takes, but we'll leave that number due to holidays) leaves 48 weeks. That is 480 hours, which is 20 days a year. We lived there 12 years. That is 240 days of his life spent commuting in just 12 years.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:56 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,048,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandwoody View Post
Thank you so much! This is the help I need.

To the other person who said I am shifting blame. I never blamed Fulton County for my AC issues. I was just ranting on the insane snowball effect of everything that has taken place since we decided to move. My initial title stands. I regret moving to Fulton County. I was unaware that some folks don't have to use Ga Power in Fulton. My issue with them is that they can't seem to keep the power on. Thankfully, I didn't have to stick to Comcast.

My biggest beef is with the school system. Yep, I stayed out of Dekalb just across the street, bc I read they were the worst. I really just wanted my daughter to be part of a public school system, even though we can afford to send her to private school. I wanted her to enter the arts charter at North Springs. I wanted her to be in a more diverse area, because the world is becoming more diverse. Unfortunately, the vicious cycle of poverty and racism continues. My daughter's best friend from her old school was a black girl. She actually has several black friends from her old school. While the school isn't nearly as diverse there, she felt comfortable making friends with all cultures. We are not a family that tolerates superiority of anyone due to race, gender, sexuality, or nationality. She came home yesterday and was depressed that she feels singled out because she is Caucasian. She was honestly bewildered because the only girls who spoke kindly to her were non-black. The only black student that spoke to her directly wasn't nice and said, "what you looking at?", and that was because my daughter turned around to see the disturbance the group of friends were making in French class. She said that all the Spanish speaking kids stick together and all the white kids do, too. Did I honestly move my daughter out of a Cobb County (very red area) school with the intentions of putting her into a diverse school, only to find extreme segregation within the school, and fear that this will instill prejudice that was never there before? Do I continue letting my child be the guinea pig in my quest to be the change I seek in the world, or do I put her into private school? I'm an adult. I understand systemic racism and poverty. My child is 12 and can't grasp why many children in her school are the way they are.

So yeah, is that Fulton County's fault? No, but it doesn't change the fact that I regret moving back to Fulton County. That's a bitter pill to swallow and say.
Again...students self-segregating has nothing to do with the school system - that can and does happen anywhere. Middle school kids can be very mean and critical of someone they perceive as weak or different or even just new to the school. To criticize Fulton County Schools for an issue like that is insane. If you don't like the school environment then fine, but that is no reason to bad-mouth the entire school system or the staff. There are other schools in Fulton County that might suit your child better.

While I'm not doubting your story at all, the situation you described above is not indicative of Fulton County Schools and I'm positive you could find the same experience in a Cobb County School. I have taught in both systems.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:31 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,075,390 times
Indeed.

Few people would argue that Fulton county has the best public schools in the state.

It's unfortunate that you aren't living in any of their clusters. But Johns Creek, Milton, Alpharetta, and Northview High Schools are pretty much always all ranked in the top 10. I live near the Northview cluster and am continually ultra impressed by the quality of the high school kids I meet just when I'm out and about in the community.

I'm not doubting that the problems the OP are experiencing are real, but they are not endemic to Fulton county, they are endemic to her specific area.

My advice would be to either locate a school cluster that is better suited to her needs, which would more than likely mean moving up at least as far as Roswell, or enrolling the kids into private schools.

It's too bad this board wasn't sought for advice prior to the move. We probably could have helped avoid this situation.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Your complaints are not about Fulton County, but about specific things within the county...Comcast? Georgia Power? A private HVAC company? Nothing to do with Fulton County.

And one school is not a school system. If you have a complaint about a specific school you should call the county office. It sounds like the problem is probably due to the principal turnover. Everyone is probably doing the best they can and don't need a nitpicking parent breathing down their backs. I would give them a break...if you need something specific just find someone that can help you rather than freak out over the orchestra teacher or a miscommunication with the assistant principal. It would be silly to remove your child from a school over such trivial issues.
"Nitpicking parent breathing down their necks?"

You can keep your sanctimony, sir. I just want her switched from art to orchestra since she was in orchestra last year and actually performs well. I've been to the school and the very rude office lady accused me of missing a document, then gave me the email addresses of the assistant principal and counselor, which neither have returned my email in two days. Now that might not seem like a long time to you, but to my 12 year old at this new school, where she knows no one, it's one more arrival to a new classroom already established. I was exceptionally nice in my email requests, and even offered my volunteer time, something I have done every single year since she began school. I'm not even close to being a helicopter mom. I allow her to deal with her school issues on her own. However, she is unable to accomplish this without my assistance and request. That is all I am doing. I am just trying to get one, simple response to my several attempts to get her placed into the correct classrooms before serious lessons begin. She is a TAG student, she performs exceptionally well in academics and the arts, and I don't have to stay on her to manage these things. I had a great relationship with her two previous schools, and even her preschool. I remain friends with some of her teachers to this day. I could call her old school at this very moment and have any issue resolved within the hour. Principals and assistant principals come and go. I have seen it happen several times at the other schools. As a matter of fact, the principal at her old middle school was promoted this year, too. I drove there two weeks ago to pick up her transcripts. I happened to show up on open house day. I apologized profusely because I was bothering them at such a bad time, but there were four people working in that office, and they never skipped a beat. I had my files within two minutes. The office manager walked around the counter and hugged me good-bye. I immediately drove straight to the new school, and it was like I walked into the most unorganized pit of despair. I've never seen anything close to this level of incompetency. I only speak for the front end. I hear the teachers in the advanced classes are excellent. I hope so.

As I was typing this, my husband finally got through to the other assistant principal. He said that she was very nice and helpful. Thankfully so. My daughter's classes are adjusted correctly now. That's all we, nitpicking parents wanted for our child.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
I, too, live in "Sandwoody." She is correct about power outages. I have been stuck in my neighborhood at least three times in the past few years due to trees falling and taking out power lines. More annoyingly, the power flickers frequently (awful when you're working on something on the Internet).

We are one of the many families who are spending beyond their means to go to the private schools. I am zoned for the same middle school she is discussing, and there is just no way I'd send my kids there. It's a hot mess.

So, some of the stuff she's complaining about is a local/specific-to-here issue. But there are many, many positives about this part of town. You couldn't pay me enough to live way up in North Cobb/Cherokee and force me to deal with that traffic to get to town. So, it's a tradeoff.

And, OP, if you have questions about private schools in the area, please feel to DM me.
This is exactly what I mean. The power often flickers on and off. The other day it was out all afternoon. There was not even a breeze that day, much less a storm. Mostly it's the flickering, but three total outages for more than an hour since moving here. They need to start burying their lines. I just assume that is why my power hardly ever went out in over a decade.

Thank you for reiterating my complaint, and understanding my angst. I appreciate it.

I mostly just needed to rant. Thankfully, my rant found advice and solutions, as well.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:27 PM

16,717 posts, read 29,571,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
... If you have a complaint about a specific school you should call the county office. It sounds like the problem is probably due to the principal turnover. Everyone is probably doing the best they can ... I would give them a break...if you need something specific just find someone that can help you rather than freak out over the orchestra teacher or a miscommunication with the assistant principal. It would be silly to remove your child from a school over such trivial issues.
^^^^^^
This.

Good advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta