Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 12:18 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
I dunno...if I saw Fuqua's name attached to anything coming near me, I'd be hesitant to say the least.

That being said, the plans don't look too far out of whack, but if I owned one of the houses on Estates Lane, I'd want some pretty detailed plans about what was going on literally at my back yard. Will they lose the tree separation? Will they now be overlooking a noisy parking lot with little barrier? I've lived in an apartment overlooking the loading docks of a retail strip mall. It wasn't the most peaceful location. This could easily kill the value of those houses, making it quite important for them.

About the only time I tell the NIMBYers to shove it is when a development that will truly transform an area is in question. This doesn't meet that criteria.
This I fully agree with. It is one of the things I mentioned at the end of my post.

There isn't much of a buffer there presently, but if I lived in one of those houses I would be angling, both directly with that developer and the county, to see the few trees there aren't removed.

There are only 4 properties in question. The buffer with the northern most house is actually owned by the county, likely for drainage/water-retention purposes from when they built the school.

That is one of the problems with the noise created from nimbys is they aren't addressing real topics as much as a blanket attack against a development.

I would caution one thing though. There is a small reality check to note here too. That was an infill neighborhood from the early 2000s. It was also them that built them on such small lots without paying for their own buffer. There is no buffer on their own property. At a point those people chose to build and move into a neighborhood adjacent to a property at a major intersection directly next to a freeway interchange in close proximity of a central business district.

Those apartments you lived in, at some point the owner of those apartments chose not to have their own buffer. They risked the devaluation of their property instead of leaving a small part of their own lot untouched.

It also isn't entirely fair to the other property owner, the church, if the presence of that residential development devalues their land by deterring potential development. They didn't choose to build those houses either, with no buffer from their property.

It also isn't fair to the public to not drive development to the areas it makes more sense and resources have been spent, because of the past choices of 4 homeowners.

I merely mention this, because there is a reality more home buyers need to start taking more responsibility for what they are buying and that it largely why I'm criticizing this website so much in the context they have presented. Sometimes I'm more or less sympathetic to the existing homeowners depending on the situation (ie. location, public resources, ages and choices of the development of the homeowners). 4 Homeowners are looking at a big change, but I don't entirely fault the development or the existing owner either in this situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 12:26 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPark View Post
1958 called and wants its split-level ranch house back.

I often think of these older homes as the keepers of the trees....

For better and worse it looks like this development will remove 5 of these homes.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:03 PM

1,054 posts, read 922,325 times
I live very close and support the idea with some changes.

Give Estates home owners more buffer, build in pedestrian connections to the Silver Cmet spur that runs past th property and provide traffic calming measures on Spring Hill Road....looking forward to the new amenities so close.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,279 times
Those who would over-simplify this as NIMBY need to pause for a bit of empathy. The people who are fighting against the proposal LIVE in the area. Their daily lives, children, and peace will be impacted by the undisputed traffic and noise that accompany commercial development.

They did not purchase homes by a commercial tract...they bought homes by a Church. This is a neighborhood.

Before you criticize the concerns of the neighbors and property owners: Would you really want a shopping center with all of its traffic and noise in your own neighborhood?

Old 09-11-2015, 09:46 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AreaNeighbor View Post
Those who would over-simplify this as NIMBY need to pause for a bit of empathy. The people who are fighting against the proposal LIVE in the area. Their daily lives, children, and peace will be impacted by the undisputed traffic and noise that accompany commercial development.

They did not purchase homes by a commercial tract...they bought homes by a Church. This is a neighborhood.

Before you criticize the concerns of the neighbors and property owners: Would you really want a shopping center with all of its traffic and noise in your own neighborhood?
I think my biggest concern is the change to commercial form residential. If you look at all the surrounding areas, they are residential.

I also have a personal aversion to small strip shops. It just seems we have so many store fronts that consistently turn over and sit empty in the interim. Not so much on Atlanta Road as Spring Road - but any time I see these I cringe. How many Subway's does one need!

Old 09-11-2015, 05:53 PM

276 posts, read 430,952 times
Quote:

Yes I would! I love the idea of being able to walk to stores. I live relatively close to the city (about 1.5 miles from that Atlanta city line) and welcome any opportunty to increase my area's walkability scores. Change is relatively constant and that is a relatively high traffic area anyway almost within site of the highway.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:20 PM

559 posts, read 832,549 times
Quote:

Absolutely. We live in a subdivision that is right behind a grocery store. It's awesome to see people walking to/from a grocery store carrying groceries ... like a step back in time. Plus, older kids can ride their bikes to get a burger at the surrounding places w/out driving.

And that church is across the street from Panera and LaQuinta motel ... and only a few hundred yards from the biggest corporate headquarters in the area. It's a little late to put the "commercial development" genie back in the bottle. You already have it.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:24 PM

559 posts, read 832,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
...from one extreme to another. Not everything can or should be shiny and new.
Aside from that, the only "eye-sore" I can think in that stretch of road is the empty building at the corner of it and Atlanta Rd. There's not room to put much else in that spot and seeing that building cleaned up would have more character than whatever chain that built new.
Agree on that, Joe. I've studied that building/lot on the corner of Atlanta/Paces Ferry, and I'm just not sure what can, or will, go in that spot.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:38 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,162,735 times
Quote:
Those who would over-simplify this as NIMBY need to pause for a bit of empathy
Sorry, ran out of that. How about some...

Old 09-11-2015, 07:50 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPark View Post
Agree on that, Joe. I've studied that building/lot on the corner of Atlanta/Paces Ferry, and I'm just not sure what can, or will, go in that spot.
That is a building that begs for local walkability. If you could put in a great coffee shop like Rev Coffee where many of your patrons walked to your store instead of drove (since getting in an out is not ideal).

I was also wondering if it could be converted into residential - industrial conversion type of property. I am not sure how bad the noise is at that corner. I would definitely breakup the parking lot and put in some yard and trees to soften the exterior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta