Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 05:59 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,786,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
You said it.

We need to create a culture of speaking up in dog parks though. Too many of us -- me included -- want to be polite and not get involved.

And then all hell breaks loose.

Alley
This country is too wissified (I can't use the real word that I want to use ) to help or say anything. You probably could have got sued if you help or called a bully if you said something. You did the right thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 06:11 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,907,374 times
Lets be careful not to discriminate against the small dogs.
Small dogs have rights too.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:19 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,786,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
I also have the right to go to a KKK meeting and yell "f yall" but it wouldnt be beneficial to me but I have that right

Old 09-13-2015, 06:35 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,264,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I have had my big dogs attacked by other big dogs.

The problem is not with the size of the dog, but the lack of responsibility on the part of the owner of an aggressive dog. If you have an aggressive dog, it's your job to make sure that he is under control at ALL times.

That literally means 100% of the time, no exceptions, ever.

I'm so sorry about your dog. Yes, I agree w/ you. The trainer that I love has told me that dogs shouldn't be on leashes in dog parks.

So essentially if a dog is aggressive, he needs to play where other dogs aren't.

Alley

Old 09-13-2015, 06:37 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,264,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
I hope you read my post carefully. I love small dogs. I rescued a seven pound guy off the streets years ago and fell. in. love. (Best dog ever.)

However. I would never have taken him into a big dog park.

That's just crazy.

Nobody is discriminating. I'd have a small dog now if it hadn't been my husband's turn to pick a dog.

Alley

Old 09-13-2015, 07:32 PM

994 posts, read 1,541,318 times
Frequently, owners of toy dogs or other small breeds bring their bite-sized pooches into the same area where the literal big dogs are. It makes no sense. If the tiny pooches get trampled, it's their owners' faults.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:10 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,822,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
Today was awful. Nobody died, but only because a strong man held down a big dog that was attacking a small -- annoying -- dog.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE small dogs. Love them, but this woman had a big and a small dog and was running them together in a large dog park.

DUMB IDEA.

Especially if your little dog is annoying -- probably because he's scared -- another dog will likely go after him.

And do you know. . . not one person thanked the guy who saved the small dog.

Not one.

Alley
I have done it before, but I agree it's not the best idea I've ever had.

I still have never had a problem if you don't count the time my dog ran out of energy and I had to pretend I was happy to catch the Doberman who jumped in my arms but could not catch her. I have been fortunate that I have never had issues with my dog and larger or aggressive breeds .

My dog weighs 8 lbs and her best playmate is my neighbor's dog from two townhouses down who weighs a good 80 lbs. I got my first dog when I was 2 years old so I've had a long number of years of experience.

OP, I agree that it's not a good idea to put small and large dogs together most of the time. That's why the dog parks are separated. Sometimes it's not the greatest idea to put similar sized dogs together. I think that trying to get them socialized to multiple sized not just dogs but people results in the best outcome in the end.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:37 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,984,317 times
Mind if we ask which dog park?
There are 4 we have taken our girl to since moving here..2 we won't ever return to ever.
There was some kind of culture amongst some..."it's a dog park I don't have to watch my dog let him socialize while I do the same"

Old 09-13-2015, 11:50 PM

536 posts, read 1,538,921 times
I don't take any of my dogs to dog parks ever. They're fine with each other but are intolerant of rude and pushy dogs and will NOT hesitate to put an ill mannered dog in his place. My breed of dog is catahoula and trust me, they don't put up with rude dogs at all. Just know what breed of dog you have and know the dog's personality and also observe the behavior. Some dogs just will not get along with other dogs.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:45 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,822,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Mind if we ask which dog park?
There are 4 we have taken our girl to since moving here..2 we won't ever return to ever.
There was some kind of culture amongst some..."it's a dog park I don't have to watch my dog let him socialize while I do the same"
I like Piedmont in Midtown and Burger Park in Smyrna.

There's a cafe/coffee house/restaurant somewhere south of I-20 with an attached dog park on the side that I intend to try. It's a little inconvenient for me to get to, but the major problem is I can keep forgetting the name of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta