Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 07:28 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,823,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Having trust is the only way driving works. We all have some level of trust in the other drivers. Without trust we would not drive thru an intersection on a green light because we can trust the side street drivers to stop at red.
Having trust is not the only way because I drive. Let's just say I hope for the best so I do it and basically because I have no choice, but it has nada to do with trust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 08:57 AM
bu2

24,107 posts, read 14,899,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Somehow they work all over the world and Cobb County is planning for one soon.
Just because they have them doesn't mean they are a good idea. Leisure suits were once considered a good idea!

Old 12-11-2015, 09:01 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
The way the roads come together, it's a bizarre intersection and I think it confuses a lot of people.

It also seems to have to go through 3 red/green signals per cycle because people coming off Piedmont can't go straight at the same time as people coming off Cheshire Bridge like in a normal intersection, so you can really spend a long time sitting at a red light.

I'm amazed more people aren't killed at that intersection, it's like a moron laid it out and we're all suffering the consequences.
Atlanta has a number of these roads merging at odd angles. Most places took care of these sorts of things at important intersections years ago. To go left from Piedmont southbound to Cheshire Bridge, you basically do a U-turn. There's also not a lot of visibility of Cheshire Bridge when you are on Piedmont.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:08 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
See, that could explain a lot about why we differ on this. I have zero level of trust for the skill of other drivers on the freeway. I actually find it quite stressful unless there is a decent amount of space between the cars which doesn't happen often here. I guess we all have our things that can bring out angst.
Particularly on a roundabout. I regularly used a multi-lane roundabout in another city and it was an adventure every time. People can drive fast through those roundabouts. And when you are circling in a multi-lane, people are in your blind spot. To get to the exit you need you have to change lanes with people traveling at different speeds in that blind spot.

Single lanes roundabouts can be an adventure because you always get people who aren't familiar with them. The other day I had a taxi driver sitting on his horn because I stopped (as you are supposed to) until I knew the car already on was going straight instead of continuing in front of me. I see lots of people who can't really figure it out all the time. You get lots of visitors in a city like Atlanta.

Old 12-11-2015, 03:44 PM

3,072 posts, read 1,303,227 times
How about a bit north of that on Cheshire Bridge southbound just after you go under 85? The right most lane vanishes at the gas station/apartment complex so everyone has to merge over who somehow forget that lane ends (you'd figure these are the same people every day and would know that). In addition, you have a left turn onto Sheridan just after that and that entire lane backs up when one guy needs to make a left and everyone is stuck behind him. I see no resolution either because they'd have to take out that apartment complex to add a lane on the right.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:36 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,879,410 times
Default More development coming to Cheshire Bridge

Famous italian restaurant rumored to be next Atlanta Institution to be razed for mixed-use development.
Is 2015 the Year Development Stole Atlanta's Soul? - Appetite for Destruction - Curbed Atlanta
Quote:
Successful cities are constantly changing, evolving and building, and in this ceaseless reinvention it's often the little guys who are kicked to the curb — or off the curb they've called home for decades. But in Atlanta's case, something started to change this year, at least in the court of public opinion; the cheers for a post-recession resurgence in Atlanta's construction industry turned to jeers, in some cases. Landmarks that have contributed much to the city's gritty, quirky, musical or generally celebratory soul — The Masquerade, Northside Tavern, ThunderBox Rehearsal Studios, Smith's Olde Bar and Buckhead's Andrews Entertainment District, among others — were either razed or threatened by the encroachment of development that could swallow their land, a la the Cyan apartment tower and Dante's Down the Hatch. These are/were unique institutions that most would argue are nowhere near dying a natural commercial death. The next landmark on the chopping block, as Tomorrow's News Today reports, is Alfredo's Italian Restaurant, a legendarily unpretentious eatery (see: drop-tile ceilings and dazzling-as-a-post-office exterior) on the development hotbed that is Cheshire Bridge Road.

Alfredo's sits just north of 300 new apartments and retail at Modera Morningside and within several blocks of other large-scale proposals. Management have been informed their lease won't be renewed, as their 1989 Cheshire Bridge Road property has sold — along with a neighboring Georgia Department of Transportation Metro Atlanta Maintenance facility. The two parcels will be joined for a total of 10 acres, which unnamed sources tell Tomorrow's News Today could be developed into a mixed-use complex with apartments.

Alfredo's has been dishing out veal parmigiana and a throwback, old-world vibe since 1974 — the rare multi-generational stalwart on Atlanta's dining scene. (Eater gave it top billing earlier this year in a rundown of "20 Classic Restaurants Every Atlantan Must Try.") There's talk that Alfredo's might try to relocate, but nothing has been confirmed. Regardless, something would probably be lost in the transition.

So Alfredo's will be the next institution to go, but smart money says it won't be Atlanta's last.

Old 12-21-2015, 03:35 PM
bu2

Cheshire Bridge is a logical place for redevelopment. Its kind of a 50/60s island with Buckhead to the north and Virginia Highlands to the south.

Old 12-21-2015, 03:45 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
I am okay with Cheshire bridge being redeveloped but I hope it becomes more than a forest of stick built apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: