Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 10:51 AM

1,816 posts, read 1,152,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm in my late 20s, turning 30 soon. I've lived in other parts of the USA, but have grown up in the edges of metro Atlanta. On one hand, yes, there have been many changes since you were younger. Looking at it from that perspective, change has definitely come. Until 2008, I never imagined the USA having a Black President. It never crossed my mind. When it happened, I will admit, I was elated about it.

President Obama being elected does show that some changes have occurred. On the other hand, it shows that some things don't change. I remember hearing on the news of some racially motivated vandalism taking place right after President Obama was elected.

Some people are saying "Because of Obama, America might never elect another Black President". That tells me that many never wanted a Black person to be President to begin with, and that a Black person is going to be held to more scrutiny from the beginning.

On the one hand, alot of change has occurred. I can live anywhere I want. I can eat anywhere I want. I went to the university of my choosing, got a degree(I'm the 2nd generation in my family to have a college diploma, my father is the first). I have a decent job(albeit Atlanta rents are going up). I can travel where I want. I don't need to have "the green book" to tell me where I can and can't go. Alot have changed. On the other hand, there are times when I feel disappointed. It is a disappointment when I'm told as a child how great of a society we are. There are certain things that I expected as a kid. Growing into a teenager, encountering racism, and other problems, I started to see that we weren't the color-blind society that I expected. Having to learn what people think of me because of my race is something I would not want to think about.

Certain things I can take comfort in. No one can tell me "because of your race, you aren't allowed here". On the other hand, I'm understanding that Blacks are the most looked down on ethnicity in the USA. Even some Blacks from abroad have told me things like "my parents don't want me dating American Blacks". It does leave me wondering how people are going to perceive me as an American Black person. It does make me wonder if my merit will matter to someone else. I grew up thinking "if I'm decent, my race won't matter". Some days, such as when I read comments online, I end up wondering if this is the case. I look at it like this. Many people will post online what they don't have the guts to say face to face.
I appreciate your thoughtful and insightful post especially as it relates to the positive attitude you appear to have about yourself regardless of the obvious obstacles you have and will continue to face. The reality is while things relating to race are much better, and continue to get better, race will continue to be an issue for you in terms of how certain people both look at you and perceive your worth and or potential.

As a former business executive I confronted it on a frequent basis (albeit subtle) but just determined that I would not let it either deter me from my goals or cause me to think less of myself. I made it someone else's problem not mine. Realistically that's about all we can do, because giving in to an "ain't in awful mentality" is a recipe for defeat and not victory. Stay strong young brother and you will be fine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 07:20 AM

32,033 posts, read 36,853,168 times
Our overall distress level is near the middle of the pack but our inequality is marked.

Maps of the Most Distressed Communities in the U.S. - CityLab

DCI Data for the 100 Largest U.S. Cities - Economic Innovation Group

Old 03-08-2016, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
I don't think that you will have to worry about South Forsyth County suffering the same exact fate as Duluth because the Asian families that are moving into South Forsyth are much more affluent families that are moving into an area where the housing is generally more pricey than the smaller less expensive housing that less affluent families have flooded into in the Duluth area of Gwinnett County.

Another thing is that Forsyth County does not necessarily permit very much multi-family apartment and higher-density townhome/condo housing to the extent that Gwinnett County has over the past 3 decades or so.

The Gwinnett County government has basically permitted and openly and actively encouraged the construction of lower-cost housing of all types over the past 3 decades, something which has contributed directly to Gwinnett County being flooded with working-class and lower-income residents.

The relative lack of apartment housing in Forsyth County probably means that the county will not be overwhelmed with lower-income newcomers moving into an abundance of affordable housing.

The lack of apartment housing in Forsyth County means that an area like South Forsyth will probably become something like the Parkview and Brookwood areas of Gwinnett County where the relative lack of apartment housing has attracted affluent Asian families....That's instead of Gwinnett areas like the Duluth, Berkmar and Meadowcreek school districts where an abundance of cheaper housing has attracted a flood of lower-income residents.

Though, on the other hand, one can probably expect the ongoing demographic changes underway in South Forsyth to accelerate as has been the case in areas like Gwinnett and North Fulton in recent years, only with more affluent Asian families as opposed to less-affluent ones.
This whole post is so in line with the "Segragationist" theme. The assumption that apartment dwellers are always low income and do not deserve decent education or resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta