Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2016, 05:03 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,749,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
The problem is that there can be no middle ground when the question of compromise basically is, "What percentage of your home can I burn to the ground?" There is exactly one right answer, and that is zero.
A simple compromise could be limiting the effects of the bill to private non profit organizations and businesses. Though I doubt any compromise would be acceptable in the businesses trying to leave, but it wouldn't be the mess it is now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 05:38 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,530,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarbundy View Post
Would rather he didn't since it's a well known lie,
What was I lying about??

Old 03-24-2016, 06:15 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,236,937 times
The Disney threat to pull out of Georgia was mentioned earlier - here's an article:

Disney, Marvel to boycott Georgia if Religious Freedom bill passes

Pinewood Atlanta Studios in Fayetteville, Ga., has become the unofficial U.S. home for Marvel films, but that could change if Gov. Nathan Deal signs the Religious Freedom bill into law, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

"Disney and Marvel are inclusive companies, and although we have had great experiences filming in Georgia, we will plan to take our business elsewhere should any legislation allowing discriminatory practices be signed into state law," a spokesman said on Wednesday.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:03 AM

560 posts, read 667,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillinthesouth View Post
The Disney threat to pull out of Georgia was mentioned earlier - here's an article:

Disney, Marvel to boycott Georgia if Religious Freedom bill passes

Pinewood Atlanta Studios in Fayetteville, Ga., has become the unofficial U.S. home for Marvel films, but that could change if Gov. Nathan Deal signs the Religious Freedom bill into law, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

"Disney and Marvel are inclusive companies, and although we have had great experiences filming in Georgia, we will plan to take our business elsewhere should any legislation allowing discriminatory practices be signed into state law," a spokesman said on Wednesday.
While I believe this legislation is awful and destructive to our state's economy and, especially, the Atlanta metro, the Disney Co really should keep their mouth's shut.

Someone on Reddit yesterday raised an excellent point: Disney filmed Star Wars: The Force Awakens in the UAE. And anti-homosexuality laws in the UAE make Georgia look like Berkeley. In the UAE, homosexuality is not only illegal, it is punishable by death:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_r..._Arab_Emirates

So, Disney had no problem filming their biggest blockbuster of all time in a country that, literally, treats being gay as a death sentence, but they're going to boycott Georgia for this law.

Again, I'm not supporting the GA legislation. I just can't believe Disney's hypocrisy.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:10 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,143,170 times
Some theorize that Disney knows that Deal will veto the bill, but speaking out for PR purposes which I could fully believe.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:29 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,420,277 times
AMC now: 'Walking Dead' Network AMC Urges Georgia Governor to Veto Anti-Gay Bill

Old 03-24-2016, 08:37 AM

687 posts, read 745,486 times
This really could be catastrophic for the state and for Atlanta in particular.

I can't even get my head around how many job losses this could lead to.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:07 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,994,564 times
Just wondering...If Nathan Deal signs this bill, would that put his political career in jeopardy among conservatives in Georgia?

Old 03-24-2016, 09:43 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,236,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paris-on-ponce View Post
While I believe this legislation is awful and destructive to our state's economy and, especially, the Atlanta metro, the Disney Co really should keep their mouth's shut.

Someone on Reddit yesterday raised an excellent point: Disney filmed Star Wars: The Force Awakens in the UAE. And anti-homosexuality laws in the UAE make Georgia look like Berkeley. In the UAE, homosexuality is not only illegal, it is punishable by death:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_r..._Arab_Emirates

So, Disney had no problem filming their biggest blockbuster of all time in a country that, literally, treats being gay as a death sentence, but they're going to boycott Georgia for this law.

Again, I'm not supporting the GA legislation. I just can't believe Disney's hypocrisy.
Very interesting - that's definitely hypocritical of Disney. These huge global companies tend to be selective in their outrage.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:44 AM

26 posts, read 24,405 times
It is pure PR stunt on Disney's part lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta