Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 11:08 AM

79 posts, read 108,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan alan View Post
Denise, do not expect public transportation to be anything like you experienced in Chicago. You will be severely disappointed. Other than that, Atlanta is an amazing city with a lot of exciting things happening! Good luck on your rental search.

Thanks! I've almost completely ruled it out at this point, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 03:25 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,824,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise82 View Post
My preliminary search shows several nice apartments in Alpharetta starting around $995 for a 2 bd / 2bth. Looks like the areas are as follows:

2845 Holcomb Bridge Rd
8601 Roberts Dr
905 Lake Union Hill Way
13085 Morris Rd

I'm not sure if these are "good" areas, but my custom Goggle Map shows lots of daycares and amenities in the vicinity. I won't know for sure until we come to visit over the Labor Day week-end.
The first two are good, but I'm not sure about the last two. I will say get this show on the road if you want to get those rates.

Old 06-11-2016, 02:57 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,514,605 times
Quote:
What resources do the locals use when apartment hunting? Apartments.com seems to really focus on apartments and less on condo and SF home rentals. Should I get a realtor to assist in finding a rental? Do you guys have apartment finding services like here in Chicago? The craigslist seems to be very untrustworthy...
If you are searching strictly for apartments, Promove is probably one of the absolute best resources to use while searching for an apartment in the Atlanta area.
Promove - Atlanta Apartment Finder

Georgia MLS and the Atlanta Journal Constitution's Homefinder can be good sources on which to search for a detached single-family rental home.

Georgia MLS rental search engine...
Georgia MLS

Atlanta Journal Constitution Homefinder rental search engine...
Apartments and homes for rent in Atlanta GA | Atlanta Homefinder | www.ajc.com

Old 06-12-2016, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
If you are searching strictly for apartments, Promove is probably one of the absolute best resources to use while searching for an apartment in the Atlanta area.
Promove - Atlanta Apartment Finder

Georgia MLS and the Atlanta Journal Constitution's Homefinder can be good sources on which to search for a detached single-family rental home.

Georgia MLS rental search engine...
Georgia MLS

Atlanta Journal Constitution Homefinder rental search engine...
Apartments and homes for rent in Atlanta GA | Atlanta Homefinder | www.ajc.com
Golden! Thank you so very much

Old 06-12-2016, 11:58 AM

Any suggestions on good areas of Decatur?

Old 06-12-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Any suggestions on good areas of Decatur?
If you look in Decatur, concentrate your search in the 30030 and 30033 zip codes where the quality-of-life in the area with a Decatur mailing address is the best.

On a related note, do you yet know where (what district or zip code) your place of employment will be located in the Atlanta metro area?

Knowing where your place of employment will be located will most likely be the key to knowing where to look for housing in an Atlanta metro region plagued with traffic congestion issues on a somewhat very limited transportation network (very limited road and transit options).

Old 06-12-2016, 01:39 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,530,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
Skip Marietta if you you need public transportation, say along the 400 or 85 corridor
I agree with this, I would stay away from Cobb County and look up the Addresses of all 38 Marta Stations and plan your attack from there. That would be anyone's best move in the long run.

Old 06-12-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
If you look in Decatur, concentrate your search in the 30030 and 30033 zip codes where the quality-of-life in the area with a Decatur mailing address is the best.

On a related note, do you yet know where (what district or zip code) your place of employment will be located in the Atlanta metro area?

Knowing where your place of employment will be located will most likely be the key to knowing where to look for housing in an Atlanta metro region plagued with traffic congestion issues on a somewhat very limited transportation network (very limited road and transit options).
Not sure about the eployment as of yet, but my industry is pretty small. Based on my research, I'd either be in downtown ATL or Duluth or Norcross (daycare services seem to be limited in both areas). I don't I'd mind a commute so long as I'm near MARTA. In Decatur I see there is the Kensington Station, but nothing else, which is strange. I'm looking at the zip codeds you provided now. Thanks!

Old 06-12-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:

Wow! Nothing below $2,200 / month in those zipcodes. I'm looking for something more in the $1,200 - $1,400 range.

Old 06-12-2016, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Not sure about the eployment as of yet, but my industry is pretty small. Based on my research, I'd either be in downtown ATL or Duluth or Norcross (daycare services seem to be limited in both areas). I don't I'd mind a commute so long as I'm near MARTA. In Decatur I see there is the Kensington Station, but nothing else, which is strange. I'm looking at the zip codeds you provided now. Thanks!
Quote:
Wow! Nothing below $2,200 / month in those zipcodes. I'm looking for something more in the $1,200 - $1,400 range.
Like was mentioned before, the best option for you (if possible) might be to get a much better idea of where in the Atlanta metro area you will be working before committing to an area to live in.

If you end up working in an area like Duluth or Norcross (or anywhere else in the sprawling and expansive Atlanta metro area outside of the employment clusters (Downtown ATL, Midtown ATL, Buckhead, Perimeter and the Airport) where MARTA train service operates), MARTA may not necessarily be of much practical use in getting to and from work everyday.

You would likely be well advised to hold off on committing to an area in which to live until you have secured employment and know with certainty where your workplace is going to be.

I am just concerned about your insistence that you be near a MARTA station when many places of employment in the Atlanta metro area/region are not necessarily convenient to MARTA train service unless they are located in one of the 5 aforementioned ITP (ITP = the area Inside the I-285 Perimeter Loop highway) business districts/major employment clusters where MARTA trains operate (Downtown Atlanta, Midtown Atlanta, Buckhead, Perimeter Center, Atlanta Airport).....That still leaves numerous business districts/major employment clusters where very little-to-no meaningful transit service operates (Cumberland/Vinings, Norcross/Peachtree Corners, Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Duluth, Kennesaw/Marietta, Northlake/Tucker, Emory University, etc).

Because of staunch political, cultural and social opposition, Atlanta's transit system is not necessarily very extensive and cannot necessarily be counted on to be used to access many employment opportunities (particularly if an employment/career opportunity is outside of MARTA's limited train service area of Fulton and DeKalb counties).

Limiting yourself to being near MARTA limits your employment/career opportunities in an automobile-dominated, transit-averse region where many employment/career opportunities are not and will not be necessarily be accessible by transit.

Public trains (and buses) do not go all over the city and metro area in Atlanta like they may do in Chicago and finding quality affordable rental housing near transit will not be as easy to find in Atlanta as it may be in Chicago because Atlanta's transit system is nowhere near as extensive or as convenient to use in Atlanta as it may be in Chicago.

Many (if not most) employment and career opportunities in metro Atlanta will be located far from any meaningful transit access, something which will require one to drive and have access to their own privately-owned automobile.....Something which has intentionally been by design in an Atlanta/North Georgia region that traditionally has been and continues to be very politically, socially and culturally hostile to the concept of transit as a legitimate mode of public transportation.

Don't count on being able to use public transportation to provide access to good employment and career opportunities in the Atlanta metro region. You should be prepared to have access to your own privately-owned vehicle in a region that will most often demand the use of it, unlike in an infinitely much more transit-heavy city/metro/region like Chicago.

Last edited by Born 2 Roll; 06-12-2016 at 04:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta