Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 02:55 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,472,468 times

Advertisements

Re Camp Creek, Greenbriar etc -- unless things have changed those areas won't tick the box for "craft beer/cocktail etc" establishments although East Point may have a couple places.

Some other newcomers have indicated they've had trouble finding rentals that allow pit/pit mixes (although Atlanta's population is full of them so your dog will be in good company!) We owned a pit and currently have 2 pups with some partial "banned breed" in them so I imagine it is very frustrating to try to find something. Given that, I'd cast your net as wide as possible on the rental search. Good luck!

BTW are you a Lightning fan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 06:28 AM

30 posts, read 33,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Re Camp Creek, Greenbriar etc -- unless things have changed those areas won't tick the box for "craft beer/cocktail etc" establishments although East Point may have a couple places.

Some other newcomers have indicated they've had trouble finding rentals that allow pit/pit mixes (although Atlanta's population is full of them so your dog will be in good company!) We owned a pit and currently have 2 pups with some partial "banned breed" in them so I imagine it is very frustrating to try to find something. Given that, I'd cast your net as wide as possible on the rental search. Good luck!

BTW are you a Lightning fan?
Thanks. I figured there's probably nothing like that in the immediate CC/GB vacinity, but if there's a couple in College Park/East Point, that's be good enough for me. And depending on what area of CC/GB you're in, it seems like downtown/L5P area/etc is only about a 20 min drive.

I'm just really having a hard time gauging just how bad the crime is in those CC/GB. Seems like most think it's nothing worse than car break-ins. The neighborhoods generally look better on google street view than some of the sections of Edgewood/Kirkwood/etc, but I realize that doesn't always tell the whole story.

Vikings/Smyrna is definitely still on our radar, though the former really doesn't seem to have any house rentals available in our price range. Smyrna seems more doable of the two.

And no, not really a hockey fan. If I was, I'd prob a my be a Bruins fan as I used to live in NH and most of my other teams are from that area.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:42 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,285 times
Smyrna is definitely going to be more affordable - townhomes with fenced backyards in my neighborhood are around 1,600.

Also search for Cumberland which is basically the same area but a wider net. The zip codes you want to look for include 30339 (Vinings/Cumberland) 300080 and 30082 (Smyrna)

Old 06-17-2016, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickMcFavorite View Post
Thanks. I figured there's probably nothing like that in the immediate CC/GB vacinity, but if there's a couple in College Park/East Point, that's be good enough for me. And depending on what area of CC/GB you're in, it seems like downtown/L5P area/etc is only about a 20 min drive.

I'm just really having a hard time gauging just how bad the crime is in those CC/GB. Seems like most think it's nothing worse than car break-ins. The neighborhoods generally look better on google street view than some of the sections of Edgewood/Kirkwood/etc, but I realize that doesn't always tell the whole story.
I think your lifestyle in those areas will be more impacted by more limited shopping/services for daily errands than by crime. For example, you are less likely to find the types "nicer" retail centers akin to The Grove in N. Tampa in those areas, although there is the Camp Creek Marketplace which is closer to the airport.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
Smyrna is definitely going to be more affordable - townhomes with fenced backyards in my neighborhood are around 1,600.

Also search for Cumberland which is basically the same area but a wider net. The zip codes you want to look for include 30339 (Vinings/Cumberland) 300080 and 30082 (Smyrna)
Good stuff, thanks. So how far south into the 30339 zip code is generally ok? In that specific zip, I generally only see places in our price range in the southern half, especially closer to where the Chattahoochee runs east/west.

How about the area on the other side of 285 south of the connector (I guess it's considered Mableton)? Seems like the consensus is that it's pretty nice as long as you stay above 78/Veterans. My initial feel for it is it's a bit more country-ish, which I think we'd be fine with....we just got back from spending about a week and a half with her parents out in the country in England, and it made us realize that we'd be content living in a quieter area with more space as long as we're still within a fairly short drive to amenities. From what I can tell, the drive to places like Buckhead/L5P/etc would still be about the same as in Smyrna, but we'd probably have to take a short trip into Smyrna for decent restaurants/shopping. Is that accurate?

Old 06-17-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
I think your lifestyle in those areas will be more impacted by more limited shopping/services for daily errands than by crime. For example, you are less likely to find the types "nicer" retail centers akin to The Grove in N. Tampa in those areas, although there is the Camp Creek Marketplace which is closer to the airport.
We live about 5 min from The Grove and honestly I go there maybe once a month. Don't think that would be a huge deal for us. As long as we've got a Publix nearby and a Costco within 20 minutes, I'd be good.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:48 AM

Quote:
We live about 5 min from The Grove and honestly I go there maybe once a month. Don't think that would be a huge deal for us. As long as we've got a Publix nearby and a Costco within 20 minutes, I'd be good.
Gotcha. Yeah, I'm not a big "shopper" but like you, I need the convenience of a good grocery store/CVS/etc for daily errands and such. Makes life easier.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:31 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,285 times
Quote:
Good stuff, thanks. So how far south into the 30339 zip code is generally ok? In that specific zip, I generally only see places in our price range in the southern half, especially closer to where the Chattahoochee runs east/west.

How about the area on the other side of 285 south of the connector (I guess it's considered Mableton)? Seems like the consensus is that it's pretty nice as long as you stay above 78/Veterans. My initial feel for it is it's a bit more country-ish, which I think we'd be fine with....we just got back from spending about a week and a half with her parents out in the country in England, and it made us realize that we'd be content living in a quieter area with more space as long as we're still within a fairly short drive to amenities. From what I can tell, the drive to places like Buckhead/L5P/etc would still be about the same as in Smyrna, but we'd probably have to take a short trip into Smyrna for decent restaurants/shopping. Is that accurate?
Yes Mableton is nice, more residential and Big Box stores. For restaurants etc. you will find yourself driving into Vinings and Smyrna but we are only talking about 5 miles max.

Most of the 30339 zip code will meet your needs. The worse parts for residential would be north of I-285 and primarily along Cobb Parkway but this is a very small area.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:18 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
How about the area on the other side of 285 south of the connector (I guess it's considered Mableton)? Seems like the consensus is that it's pretty nice as long as you stay above 78/Veterans. My initial feel for it is it's a bit more country-ish, which I think we'd be fine with....
Yeah, the best areas in Mableton (30126) in my opinion would be north of Veterans Memorial and east of Floyd Road. I live off Cooper Lake just south of the E/W Connector, and there are plenty of nice subdivisions along that road, along Buckner, and along Nickajack Road. Subdivisions like Vinings Estates used to be in Mableton, but Smyrna annexed those areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta