Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 02:31 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,355,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Your response was stupid.

Insightful enough for you?
Oh, thanks! You're so sweet! So barging out against armed burglars is the smart thing to do. Got it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 03:12 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Oh, thanks! You're so sweet! So barging out against armed burglars is the smart thing to do. Got it.
I agree with you that it's wiser to stay put and hope that the bad guys go away. In addition, as long as you're in the bedroom and in the dark, you've got a significant tactical advantage.

However, in this case the video shows that the burglars apparently heard a sound in the bedroom and started rapidly advancing on it, with their guns in the firing position. At that point, it's clearly you or them.

Old 10-23-2016, 04:02 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
She did awesome. And she got lucky. Both.

There's nothing wrong with having a gun at home to defend yourself, and using it when you have to. I agree with her actions, since she probably knew they were armed, also her being a woman and they being multiple males, I think it was reasonable to just start shooting like that. And, hey, it worked.

I only wanted to make a point, not all home burglary situations are like that, and in other cases it would not be a reasonably justified action to just start shooting, without at least a warning. Especially if they're outside the house.

Old 10-23-2016, 04:22 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
She did awesome. And she got lucky. Both.

There's nothing wrong with having a gun at home to defend yourself, and using it when you have to. I agree with her actions, since she probably knew they were armed, also her being a woman and they being multiple males, I think it was reasonable to just start shooting like that. And, hey, it worked.

I only wanted to make a point, not all home burglary situations are like that, and in other cases it would not be a reasonably justified action to just start shooting, without at least a warning. Especially if they're outside the house.
Weren't they in the garage? Is that considered inside the house? I can't help but think if there's three with guns and they broke in the garage, breaking the next door into the house is inevitable.
You wonder is it better to hide in the bedroom, but be trapped there when they get there with no way out. Or is it better to better your odds by taking first action and reducing it from 3:1 to 2:1.
I wonder if she had a live feed of the cameras inside the house.

Old 10-23-2016, 04:45 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Weren't they in the garage? Is that considered inside the house? I can't help but think if there's three with guns and they broke in the garage, breaking the next door into the house is inevitable.
You wonder is it better to hide in the bedroom, but be trapped there when they get there with no way out. Or is it better to better your odds by taking first action and reducing it from 3:1 to 2:1.
I think it's better to first try to make sure it's not just the neighbor's dog or something, before you send whatever it is straight to hell. Or the neighbor's mentally disabled child. Or elderly dementia patient grandfather. Or unarmed 13 year old kid who doesn't deserve to die. Etc.

Old 10-23-2016, 04:49 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I agree with you that it's wiser to stay put and hope that the bad guys go away. In addition, as long as you're in the bedroom and in the dark, you've got a significant tactical advantage.

However, in this case the video shows that the burglars apparently heard a sound in the bedroom and started rapidly advancing on it, with their guns in the firing position. At that point, it's clearly you or them.
Ask Ms. Williams how that worked out for her staying in her closet on the phone with 911 .

Trial underway for men accused of killing woman hiding in closet during home invasion | WSB-TV

If you have a weapon, you have the advantage because you know the house, they don't.

End of the day, if you break into my house and I'm home, best of luck to ya. I'll be damned if I'm cowering in own home.

Old 10-23-2016, 06:43 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Ask Ms. Williams how that worked out for her staying in her closet on the phone with 911 .

Trial underway for men accused of killing woman hiding in closet during home invasion | WSB-TV

If you have a weapon, you have the advantage because you know the house, they don't.

End of the day, if you break into my house and I'm home, best of luck to ya. I'll be damned if I'm cowering in own home.
Oh, I'm not talking about cowering. If you're in a darkened bedroom (or other safe room), you have a distinct tactical advantage. Why give that up?

If you walk out, you've got to let your eyes adjust plus you're making yourself a target to someone who's already got their eyes adjusted. Remember, at this point your alarm will have already triggered and your dogs will be going nuts. The intruder will likely be as scared as you are.

That advice comes straight from a friend who is a retired secret service agent.

If the bad guy steps into view, well, that's his problem.

Old 10-23-2016, 07:12 PM

37,099 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
It says the invaders came through the front door. I get the impression the house is used to store some type of business supplies.

The man and woman in the house are not a couple, and she was staying there for convenience to her business.

I would consider inside my garage to be inside my house. I also wonder if she saw the surveillance feed.

Old 10-23-2016, 07:48 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
I don't have an issue with the woman firing shots inside the house. I do think it was ill advised since she had a tactical advantage being in the dark and should have remained there, but hindsight is 20/20. Someones life isn't worth an 8 pack of paper towels.

The issue with this shooting that I haven't seen anyone else mention is the woman shot at least six rounds out the front door. If you watch the video at the :47 second mark she actually shoots one more round "for the road" just before she closes the door. She's lucky that she didn't hit any bystanders outside, although I suppose given the time of day (4am), the likely hood of innocent bystanders hanging around was very low.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:12 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,355,378 times
Quote:
Your odds are probably better not confronting three armed people. They outnumber you three to one. If that is what you desire to do, more power to you. But the last thing I'm doing is confronting people who have the gall to break into my house, if at all possible. If I had a gun, I'd stay back and fire once I was actually in danger. Going out is putting myself in danger. But, I don't even own a gun or a single round of ammo, so the point is moot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I think it's better to first try to make sure it's not just the neighbor's dog or something, before you send whatever it is straight to hell. Or the neighbor's mentally disabled child. Or elderly dementia patient grandfather. Or unarmed 13 year old kid who doesn't deserve to die. Etc.
I've actually had discussions with others who have said that even a teenager entering a garage to steal some beer out of the fridge is deserving of death. I'm not really sure how to talk to those types of people.

Quote:

Did she have a weapon? The story does not say. So, would going and confronting the guys have been a better idea? Probably not.

I don't own a gun. I have never owned a gun. I never want to own a gun. Ever. I realize that if someone breaks in and comes after me, I don't have much resort. But, I will take that minuscule chance over the chances of a gun accident taking out my kid.

Quote:
Never argued differently. But, leaving the room you are in and going out to confront three armed criminals is putting yourself directly in harm's way. That is a fact. Unless you're some sort of highly-trained special ops soldier.

Quote:
Well, I would have to say best of luck to you if you choose to go after them. It goes both ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta