Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 01:30 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,429,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
These 'fake', developer created area names need to stop. These areas comprise existing neighborhoods that have history, respect the history and learn the names of the neighborhoods. Blandtown, Home Park, Berkeley park, Loring Heights, Riversdie, Bolton, Whittier Mill Village, Underwood Hills, etc.
I know a lot abut Atlanta but the neighborhoods are not all posted so you would know so Kinda hard to do that when you have murals everywhere telling you where you are.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CqkMkY6WEAEs8vm.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 12:05 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
I don't go to the Westside/West Midtown area too often...last time I've been there was about nearly a year ago when I ate at West Egg. There's like 3 big projects in planning right now on Howell Mill including 2 apartment complexes and 1 office building...the area will really start to feel dense once these developments are finished.

Still not a neighborhood I'd want to live in though, but it does have destinations and some good restaurants...maybe another 10 years of solid growth and infrastructure improvements including the Reservoir park. If the Westside Reservoir Park happens, welp...getting ready for a residential explosion.

Old 11-25-2016, 01:54 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
These 'fake', developer created area names need to stop. These areas comprise existing neighborhoods that have history, respect the history and learn the names of the neighborhoods. Blandtown, Home Park, Berkeley park, Loring Heights, Riversdie, Bolton, Whittier Mill Village, Underwood Hills, etc.
I feel you, cq. I'm kinda a stickler for historical accuracy myself. That being said, I've seen communities adopt new names and have them stick. Case in point is Toco Hill(s). Its' life began as a strip center, so named by the developer. It now seems that it has become a de facto neighborhood in the minds of many, and is often referred to as such by many (even on CD).
As far as some other 'neighborhoods' that developers are out there pumping up, like 'Uptown' and 'SoNo', I'll just say this: Lord, let it never be so.
Watch as the Beltline's ascendancy creates a plethora of new faux neighborhoods, thanks to the developerazzi.

Old 11-25-2016, 04:44 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
It appears that the ROW is built out and it would be too expense to buy, demo buildings and property to create a wider road, that will just get filled up.
As far as removing a lane, your neighbor may be referring to the Howell Mill Complete Street ReNew Atlanta Bond Project. Howell Mill Road
Is there any actual information on this project, like a map or something? Or just something saying they are looking at it?

Removing lanes from Howell Mill seems like terrible idea.

Old 11-25-2016, 06:17 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Is there any actual information on this project, like a map or something? Or just something saying they are looking at it?

Removing lanes from Howell Mill seems like terrible idea.
The City of Atlanta's Dept of Planning has an amazing GIS website that has great, free data available to the public.
Planning Viewer

Old 11-26-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I don't go to the Westside/West Midtown area too often...last time I've been there was about nearly a year ago when I ate at West Egg. There's like 3 big projects in planning right now on Howell Mill including 2 apartment complexes and 1 office building...the area will really start to feel dense once these developments are finished.

Still not a neighborhood I'd want to live in though, but it does have destinations and some good restaurants...maybe another 10 years of solid growth and infrastructure improvements including the Reservoir park. If the Westside Reservoir Park happens, welp...getting ready for a residential explosion.
Yep.I can tell you have not been there in over a year.
10 years?Try about 5.

Already on Brady Ave and Howell Mill areas have whole new huge developments way beyond those completed projects you mentioned.
Huff Rd has several new apartments as well.
This is on Brady being built out as we speak

http://atlanta.curbed.com/2016/7/6/1...kyards-complex

This even more single family and Town homes
Developer Plans $200M Community On Atlanta

Dont forget also the new Publix Shopping Center currently being built near Moores Mill and Bolton Rd

Old 11-26-2016, 07:12 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post

Dont forget also the new Publix Shopping Center currently being built near Moores Mill and Bolton Rd
And a news mixed-use center across the street from that.

Old 11-26-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
And a news mixed-use center across the street from that.
What is it gonna be?Do you have a link or name?

Old 11-26-2016, 08:04 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
Yep.I can tell you have not been there in over a year.
10 years?Try about 5.

Already on Brady Ave and Howell Mill areas have whole new huge developments way beyond those completed projects you mentioned.
Huff Rd has several new apartments as well.
This is on Brady being built out as we speak

http://atlanta.curbed.com/2016/7/6/1...kyards-complex

These renderings could be a candidate for http://allwhiteatlanta.tumblr.com/

Old 11-26-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
These renderings could be a candidate for All White Atlanta
LOL.
I get it.I really do but those of us that remember how bad the crime was all over Atlanta in the 80's 90's find it hard to witness so much that was "real" about Atlanta and being able to balance how far we should go with the changes.
That said we need a balance where we dont go from mostly black to mostly white but mostly whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta