Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 05:41 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,310,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I voted for Obama in the 2008 election and even donated $100 to his campaign which is the first and only time I've ever made a donation to a politician. He promised a lot of things and he didn't deliver, Democrats promised a lot of things and they didn't deliver. They celebrated for two years, which is why they lost almost every election since. They even had a super majority after the 2008 election. Do you notice the same promises made by Obama are the same promises Hillary and Sanders were making in 2016? That is all the proof you need right there that barely anything was accomplished by Obama. We got some things passed, which just made the donors happy like Obamacare. Remember the promise if you like your plan you can keep it and how it would make healthcare more affordable. I was paying $150 per month for a great plan before Obamacare and I thought it was expensive, which was one of the reasons why I voted for Obama. Obamacare came and my premium for a similar plan is now around $550 per month. It's so ****ing expensive. It helped a very small percentage of Americans with pre-existing conditions or families living in poverty who decided it would be a good idea to have 10 children. However, it has hurt the majority of Americans and so many are under-insured or have copays that pay a ridiculous 50-60%, before Obamacare 80% copay was pretty standard, so great something major happens, you'll still go bankrupt meanwhile you're still paying $300 per month for a plan that doesn't do **** for you. Our airports are still garbage, our roads are still garbage, our bridges are still garbage, interest rates are still at record lows, god forbid the economy crashes because we can't really lower rates much more to stimulate the economy. I could go on and on. I was a proud voter of Obama, I'm not some right wing nut job, but I am so disappointed with him and Democrats, they had a freaking super majority and they barely did anything, the things they did pass were so covered in donor ****, they were virtually worthless.
You get no arguments from me.

Personally Obama to me is just a palette swap version of Bush with a couple of minor tweaks. Bush-lite, so to speak.

Switch a white skin with a brown skin, presto-change-o, and viola! Same crappy foreign and domestic policies. Especially when it comes to brown-skinned folks.

Him, Michelle, Sasha, and Malia are a pleasant stock photo. A nice Hallmark giftcard to to send to the families for the holidays.

But that's pretty much it.

No change happened.

I don't even see people resolving to create families in the image of the Obamas. And I was hoping at the very least that would happen, from a traditional family standpoint.

But I suppose I am not so much disappointed in Obama...as I am disappointed in the American people for not using the Obama presidency as a vehicle for change across the political, economic, social, and cultural spectrum of the U.S.A.

To see themselves as a different people, an advanced people, a future-embracing people. The caveman-mindset is still within us, sad to say.

Oh well.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:59 AM

Quote:
You can look again at Obama's record, he continued to police the world after Bush and he very much was into regime change and interventionism. Look at Syria, Libya etc not to mention we continued military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.

This is why nothing changes under Democrats or Republicans. They are all the same with a couple differences, but the end of the story is our military continues to expand and our debt continues higher.

Trump was a big **** you to the establishment in both parties.
I agree with most of what you say regarding the Democratic and Republican parties.

But I think a nuanced approached has be taken when looking at a guy like Trump.

Yeah he is "doing what the people wanted". But this country has an automatic default setting of colonialism (beat the different-looking guy's butt) anyways.

Trump is doing what is already easy to do.

He is simply shedding all of the pretense and pretend imagery of America being a so-called advanced nation. That's all it is.

It just comes off as "thumbing his nose at the establishment".

But truth be told, the "establishment" is full of corporatists, bankers, media moguls, and other assorted money-changers who for the most part don't care who is in office...as long as the money don't get touched.

There may be some so-called "wincing" on their part, but they will soon get over it as greed quickly overtakes them.

That's why the donors and the media machine made sure to squelch any notion of economic populism on the Democratic side all throughout the Obama era...as well as ensured that Bernie's economic populism message stayed suppressed all throughout the Democratic primaries.

Just my simple take on the whole thing.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:01 AM

376 posts, read 330,655 times
Quote:
lol what's wrong? You don't like it when you are reminded that Obama and his adminstration created the chaos, death and misery in Syria? The refugees just didn't magically appear, they were created by your beloved politicians.

The Obama administration started the civil war in Syria??

Old 02-01-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
You get no arguments from me.

Personally Obama to me is just a palette swap version of Bush with a couple of minor tweaks. Bush-lite, so to speak.

Switch a white skin with a brown skin, presto-change-o, and viola! Same crappy foreign and domestic policies. Especially when it comes to brown-skinned folks.

Him, Michelle, Sasha, and Malia are a pleasant stock photo. A nice Hallmark giftcard to to send to the families for the holidays.

But that's pretty much it.

No change happened.
Thats just ignorant. You are basically saying that because everything didn't change then nothing changed.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:24 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTravelinMan View Post
Thats just ignorant. You are basically saying that because everything didn't change then nothing changed.
Yup. A LOT changed: LGBT rights. Marriage equality. Nuclear pact with Iran. Renewable energy record. Economic growth. Job growth. TPP. Cuba. Climate change leadership. Unprecedented number of Americans now covered with health insurance.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:33 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,699,116 times
Thumbs up Four Georgians

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Yup. A LOT changed: LGBT rights. Marriage equality. Nuclear pact with Iran. Renewable energy record. Economic growth. Job growth. TPP. Cuba. Climate change leadership. Unprecedented number of Americans now covered with health insurance.

Thank you for showing us that you were paying attention during the Obama Administration & not burying your head in what is now called fake news & alt truth!
I wish that I could say the same for most of my dad's family...

Old 02-01-2017, 09:43 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Thank you for showing us that you were paying attention during the Obama Administration & not burying your head in what is now called fake news & alt truth!
I wish that I could say the same for most of my dad's family...
Lord, atler8, I wish you could say the same for most Americans in general.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
You are not my target audience. So you wouldn't know what I mean. Which is to be expected.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
You are not my target audience. So you wouldn't know what I mean. Which is to be expected.
Oh? who is your target audience and how do you know Im not in it?

Old 02-01-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Oh? who is your target audience and how do you know Im not in it?
You seem pretty secure in your knowledge on American politics.

So my "ignorance" and others may be the same should be of no concern to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta