Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2008, 10:39 PM

37 posts, read 156,878 times

Advertisements

I am a native of Miami, FL. I come from Cuban ancestry, and my family has been in the USA since the 1940s. I grew up in the 70s in rural Dade county and most of my friends and mentors were "old Florida". I speak Spanish and so do my children, and I have never denied or lost touch with my heritage. However, we are all Americans first and I was raised in a "southern culture". By southern culture I don't mean bigotry or seperatism or anything some people associate with the South. I mean, manners, respect for your neighbor, hospitality, traditional values, etc. Not that any of this is exclusive to the South, but it's what I believe is a characteristic of Southern people. And, yes there are some bigotted, ignorant fools as well, but I think the rotten apple spoling the bunch theory applies here. I've met just as many gentle, kind, warm-hearted people in the backwood hills of Tennesse.
Miami has become the annex of a foreign country, and if you don't speak Spanish you are a tourist; my son's public school teachers barely speak English! I see this as neither good or bad, it's just not for me. Cultural diversity is a wonderful thing, but not when a city or region literally loses its identity as part of the USA. Unfotunately, I do not feel like I belong here anymore; like I am forced to acclimate to a culture that is foreign to me. Plus, I hate the beach and I hate year round hot weather . I have relatively libertarian policitcal views, but I am open minded, friendly and respectful of others and the way they choose to live.
I have decided to move to north Georgia since I travel there frequently and have friends in Pickens county and I'm already accustomed to terrible traffic. I was looking into NW Gwinnett, Forsyth, and Cherokee counties for single family homes in the 300-350k range.
Can anyone suggest where would be the best fit for me?
Does such a place exist? I am self-employed so commute distance is of no concern.
Sorry so long, and thank you so very much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta