Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 12:45 PM

11 posts, read 30,354 times

Advertisements

Thank you everyone for all your advice - I truly appreciate it. You've brought up some valid points. Part of the reason we're making this move is so my husband can be at home more - he works at least 80 hours/week now. There's really no sense in moving if he's going to spend the extra 20 hours per week in the car!

What are the zip codes for Candler Park and Lake Claire? We're heading down next week to look at homes, so I'd like to check out realtor.com.

Again - thank you so much! I'm very nervous about this move and appreciate everyone's assistance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 12:50 PM

314 posts, read 1,277,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post

I understand the rural lure. I've always thought that I could live in the country, or I could live in the city - it's just the burbs I can't take!
well put!

Old 03-05-2008, 12:51 PM

352 posts, read 1,425,400 times
The comute will also cost about the same as buying a more expensive home in monthly payments. Do yourself a favor and live closer in. You can still find a house with a nice garden ITP for 400k. A house ITP is also a much better long term investment. I would be looking in the Briarcliff area and maybe North Brookhaven.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:59 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,088,914 times
It is 30307 - but you need to look for the 30307 that is in DeKalb County - not Fulton.

I would also suggest the City of Decatur. Check out the website for the City at City of Decatur, GA. The zip code there would be 30030. Do not confuse a Decatur address and the City of Decatur. Two totally different places and prices too.

Lots of CDC/Emory folks live in Decatur, Lake Claire, Candler Park and such. You can take the back roads and not hit the highway.

Also use this website as a guide for schools too GreatSchools.net Yes - there are good school systems in the City :-)

Good luck and welcome!

Old 03-05-2008, 01:12 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,261,490 times
YEs, the 30307 that's Fulton is Inman Park and the homes are more expensive there (huge gorgeous victorians and other really interesting architectural styles...wish I has the $$$$).

You'd really love the sense of community, the SHORT commute, and the familiy oriented atmosphere yet with lots of adults-only type of things going on in Decatur, Lake Claire, or Candler Park.

Your kids will like it, too, because they will have easy access to all of their friends...mom and dad won't be stressed because of overlong work or cummute hours and can walk them over to friends houses or to the park.

Candler Park is named such because of the park named Candler Park. Lake Claire is the immediate neighbor to the CP neighborhood (you will see Ski Lake Claire bumper stickers even though there's no lake! ). The park is a wonderful public park with 55 acres, including a 9-hole golf course, pool, tennis, basketball courts, and soccer fields. And there's a fantastic festival every October!

Here's a link:

Candler Park Atlanta Map - interactive map of Candler Park with neighborhood information, schools, business, parks, and churches

And if you search this forum for Candler Park Photos you can see a walking tour I did around one block near my home.

Lake Claire is just as fantastic, too!

Welcome!

Old 03-05-2008, 01:23 PM

3,245 posts, read 6,302,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellabellaia View Post
My husband has accepted a position at the CDC. We are currently looking for houses in the Alpharetta/Milton/Johns Creek areas, but now that we've made the drive a few times, I'm starting to think we might be a little crazy. Realistically, is this a doable commute on a daily basis?

We're leaning towards the suburbs because we're from VERY small town Iowa and would rather ease into life in a large city. I did live in Chicago for a few years after college, but I think our girls' (5 and 3) heads would spin to go from 360 acres to hardly any grass. But, because we are from a rural area, we're used to driving an hour to get anywhere. It's just that instead of being stuck behind a tractor, we'd be sitting still in traffic.

Under normal conditions, how long would this drive take once we're familiar with the area?
I suggest looking in Lilburn in the Camp Creek Elementary School area. This will be about 17 miles to CDC. You have a lot of alternate routes since you do not have to cross the river like on the commute to Alpharetta. You probably can get a nice house with a half acre lot for under 400K. Mountain Park is the other good elementary school in this area. Please avoid any home that lists Minor or Hopkins as the elementary school.

Camp Creek Elementary School - Lilburn, Georgia - GA - school overview

30047, Real Estate Listings and 30047 Single Family Home for Sale - Realtor.com

Old 03-05-2008, 01:39 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
I understand the rural lure. I've always thought that I could live in the country, or I could live in the city - it's just the burbs I can't take! It used to be that the burbs gave you the best of the country (quiet, land) and the city (convenience). But not in Atlanta. Not anymore.
With all due respect, that's a tremendously sweeping statement to make.

Some of us have actually managed to find all three, and in my case quite recently.

"The burbs" is a term that covers a huge range of communities, and the folks living in such areas might work locally or not that far from their homes ... not everyone commutes downtown as so many ITP folks seem to believe!

Old 03-05-2008, 01:49 PM

It's a sweeping statement that I, personally, found to be true. I don't think many people can find the surburban ideal in metro Atlanta anymore.

And, specifically, this would apply to this particular OP whose husband would be working ITP.

For sure if my job and my husband's job had been in downtown Larryville we would have never moved...

Old 03-05-2008, 03:42 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
It's a sweeping statement that I, personally, found to be true. I don't think many people can find the surburban ideal in metro Atlanta anymore.
We may have to agree to disagree, methinks. That's okay.

Quote:
And, specifically, this would apply to this particular OP whose husband would be working ITP.
YEs, I agree that the OP should probably look at a shorter commute.

Quote:
For sure if my job and my husband's job had been in downtown Larryville we would have never moved...
Sounds to me like a specific circumstance was the problem, not the general suburban environment.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:19 PM

I can only really speak retrospectively but I really, really, really pefer urban life than suburban life...and more than just the commute. But I get how others feeldifferently.

I do like the county, though. I have a friend in Winder with farm and I definitely see the appeal....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta