Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2017, 07:53 AM

1 posts, read 547 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be making a move down to Atlanta from Minneapolis in May. My boyfriend has already relocated from MN and has been here for about a year. He lives in the Lindbergh area (bordering Brookhaven/Buckhead; he is at Arbor Gates if anyone is familiar with that apt complex). Not crazy about this area as I want a little bit more walkability. We are in our mid-to-late 20's, so not directly out of college/looking to do the Buckhead scene, but would like to live in a fun/younger area.

Ideally, we would love to be in an area that is walkable. I.e. we can walk to the grocery store, to the local watering hole, a restaurant, etc. We are very active and would like to get out and really explore our neighborhood. Where I live in Minneapolis, it's a 5-10 min. walk to Whole Foods, coffee, and some restaurants/shops, as well as walking paths.

Needing guidance on neighborhoods and even apartment complexes that can accomplish this while also being safe! (Understanding that this is Atlanta, and always need to be cognizant of what time of day I might be walking alone)

1. Budget: Ideally under $1800 for a two bedroom, two bathroom apartment
2. House/Condo/Townhome? Open to anything, but it appears that the housing rental scene is pretty slim pickin' (please correct me if I am wrong!). We've mostly been looking at apartments for this reason.
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) Boyfriend will be working from home (with a commute to Norcross once a week), and for now, I will be working in Sandy Springs. I'm hoping this won't be long-term (I'm moving down with my current company which has a location in Sandy Springs, but hoping to network and find a different job)... Thus, this is not the biggest deciding factor for me.
4. Children(public school vs. private): N/A - no children
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two: We're looking to probably be closer to the city for the first year or two, and then eventually move to a more suburban area. Our biggest concern about city living is safety, and then traffic.
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Not important.
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. No preference. As long as the area is safe.
8. Renting or Buying? Renting.
9. Airport access, important or not? A nice to have, not a need to have.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 12:14 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,041,581 times
Walkable is a relative term for Atlanta. Midtown/Poncey Highland would fit your needs if you want to walk to the grocery store.

So would certain areas near Howell Mill, or parts of Buckhead, or areas near Lenox Mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta