Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2017, 12:06 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
So CBS is a fake news organization? Why is it that the President calls fake any media outlet that reports perhaps unflattering news about the administration? It is such an odd way to approach matters.
Absolutely! Fake news doesn’t necessarily mean that the story is completely False, but that the story has been distorted or slanted for political gain. The story on CBS left out important details about How and Why the attack occurred, that there were repeated warnings to the military convoy that had entered a de-confliction zone. They also used an image that makes it appear that a village was attacked (to add a negative connotation) when the article clearly states that it was a small military convoy of tanks and a truck that were attacked in the desert.

Report the facts (positive or negative), not innuendo, opinion and all this anonymous source garbage we're being force fed today. Is that too much to ask?

Edit: After re-reading the CBS article I see that they updated it to include many of the missing facts so I give them credit for that... I'd no longer classify that article as fake news, although the associated picture is still questionable.

Last edited by flamadiddle; 05-19-2017 at 01:04 PM..

Old 05-19-2017, 12:35 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Absolutely! Fake news doesn’t necessarily mean that the story is completely False, but that the story has been distorted or slanted for political gain. The story on CBS left out important details about How and Why the attack occurred, that there were repeated warnings to the military convoy that had entered a de-confliction zone. They also used an image that makes it appear that a village was attacked (to add a negative connotation) when the article clearly states that it was a small military convoy of tanks and a truck that were attacked in the desert.

Report the facts (positive or negative), not innuendo, opinion and all this anonymous source garbage we're being force fed today. Is that too much to ask?

Edit: After re-reading the CBS article I see that they have updated it to include many of the missing facts that were not listed last night so I'll give them credit for that.
I agree with you about the picture, but the article appears to be full of facts. I didn't read any innuendo or opinion in it, but I ain't very smart sometimes.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I agree with you about the picture, but the article appears to be full of facts. I didn't read any innuendo or opinion in it, but I ain't very smart sometimes.
Nah, you're plenty smart and correct. The story appears to have been edited since I initially read it so I edited my comment above to note that.

Old 05-19-2017, 01:53 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
I am unable to successfully attach links to threads here at City-data from behind my office firewall so I'll just call attention to the fact that the Washington Post has a new breaking news story up of interest. The heading is "White House Advisor Close to trump Is A Person of Interest in Russia Probe."
Of course it will be branded as "fake news" by certain people but everything else the Post has been reporting seems to have been proved correct immediately or soon enough.
The paper is reliving some of their glory days, ala Watergate coverage when journalists really worked for their stories & didn't accept the spoon fed analysis from government briefing rooms. Thanks God for that!
As for the 6th District race, I believe that Ossoff has a good chance to pull the upset but I'm pragmatic enough to recognize that the district has been severely hard right in voting preferences for decades & that such voting patterns are difficult to overcome. An upset will be difficult to pull off but the more we have of this continuous drip, drip, drip of shocking trumpland news stories, the more disgusted the voters may be with the administration. Combined with a potential fall off of Republican votes via antipathy & the apparent hard swing toward Ossoff by Independents that polling has detected, the race may still be within his reach.

Old 05-19-2017, 02:17 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
Guess what! Now the NYTimes has a story up on a White House document that quotes some of what trump said to the Russians in the Oval Office meeting & it ain't looking good for trumpland!
Yahoo news has it all now too and is calling it "Twin Bombshells".
As Paul Harvey used to say in his radio commentaries in days of old, "Stand by for news!"
I'm pulling out the pop corn tonight at home..

Old 05-19-2017, 02:43 PM

atler8, I can only imagine all the hot steamy liberal fairy tales that wapo and company are dreaming up as we speak. Do they have any proof? Nah, proof and facts don't matter anymore, it's all about what a friend of some dudes cousin heard from an anonymous source during a secret handshake meeting down by the river, therefore it must be true!

Don't forget to get your advance tickets for Fahrenheit 11/9 too, that ought to be a real barn burner for you guys!

Old 05-19-2017, 02:48 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
Let's get one thing straight here. Fake news is the completely fabricated viral stories that were/are circulated via Facebook, such as "Pizzagate", or the claimed endorsements of Trump by Pope Francis, Denzel Washington, etc. And stuff like this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/18/u...rris.html?_r=0

What the mainstream large media corporations can be guilty of, is perhaps sometimes misleading headlines, because they're designed to be attention-grabbing. Because they're for-profit companies. They want viewers and clicks, to get their ad revenue. They also want to report the news accurately- and they do- but you have to actually read the article and get all the details, then sort out the situation yourself. Kind of filter through the loud sound byte.

Now, if you want better, more pure and raw, less biased, less ratings-driven, less editor-driven news, Reuters.com and Wikinews are good sources. And BBC news is a more of an objective outsider's look at American political news.

When they dig in on a story that's not flattering to the president and the people in power, stories that are very inconvenient and annoying to them, that's not fake news at all- that's journalists doing exactly what their job is, and doing it correctly.

The media will constantly challenge Trump, just like they constantly challenged Obama, and every other president. Obama survived 8 years of it because he and his closest staff were a good enough combo of honest, smart, and careful.

Old 05-19-2017, 03:09 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
Quote:
Do they have any proof?
Yep, a statement from the White House which does not deny the report and instead attempts to frame the remarks.

Quote:
Nah, proof and facts don't matter anymore
Idiotic and obviously uninformed statement.

The only one the facts haven't mattered to is the liar in chief, Donald J Trump and his low info supporters.

Old 05-19-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Yep, a statement from the White House which does not deny the report and instead attempts to frame the remarks.

Idiotic and obviously uninformed statement.

The only one the facts haven't mattered to is the liar in chief, Donald J Trump and his low info supporters.
directly from wapo. >

"according to people familiar with the matter.

The senior White House adviser under scrutiny by investigators is someone close to the president, according to these people, who would not further identify the official."

Sound familiar?

"what a friend of some dudes cousin heard from an anonymous source during a secret handshake meeting down by the river"

You guys are lost in a froth of hate and dementia...

Old 05-19-2017, 03:38 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
Quote:
directly from wapo. >

"according to people familiar with the matter.

The senior White House adviser under scrutiny by investigators is someone close to the president, according to these people, who would not further identify the official."

Sound familiar?

"what a friend of some dudes cousin heard from an anonymous source during a secret handshake meeting down by the river"

You guys are lost in a froth of hate and dementia...
Try to follow along. atler8's post referred to the other story, which was that Trump told the Russians he fired comey to relieve the pressure of the Russia investigation. That is what I was referring to.

The White House is not denying it, and that statement is incredibly damning, even impeachable. Already seeing some long time supportive cons start to fall away.

It's not fake news, it's the orange luantic's presidency starting to come apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta