Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 01:13 PM

4,844 posts, read 6,111,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Drive to urbanism, parking garages line the exterior of he development with all the focus on the interior, 'controllable' private street. Poor interaction with existing, surrounding development; it's basically a wall of parking garages surrounding the main, private street that Liberty media can have complete control over.
cqholt you have to start some where. It take a lot of projected over time to redevelop a edge city denser. From where it was this a huge step forward.

On the contrary the Cumberlasnd area is a edge city it isn't random place people just hope to develop more urban. There's a purpose and reason to do it. Urbanism is getting the residential back mix with employment area.

one of trade marks of sprawl is the drastic separation between employment area and residential. Density in the Cumberland area will help decrease the need for travel giving more options to live near work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 01:29 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,275,900 times
Cumberland is an edge city in the suburbs, and therefore isn't failing when it's mostly cars oriented. It's supposed to be cars oriented- that's what an edge city is. Not a city at all.

Core in-town neighborhoods in the metro's core city like Midtown and Edgewood are failing when they're cars-oriented in design and character. Those are the areas that shouldn't be.

The most urban place in Cobb County should be Marietta, and, it is. That's the area that should be made even more urban. And Smyrna's core should be made to be more urban, compact, dense, walkable. And maybe Vinings around the village. But Cumberland was never intended or designed to be anything more than what it is- a primarily cars-based area where you can also walk. That said, as an employment area they do need a transit station.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:40 PM

2,307 posts, read 2,999,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Cumberland is an edge city in the suburbs, and therefore isn't failing when it's mostly cars oriented. It's supposed to be cars oriented- that's what an edge city is. Not a city at all.

Core in-town neighborhoods in the metro's core city like Midtown and Edgewood are failing when they're cars-oriented in design and character. Those are the areas that shouldn't be.

The most urban place in Cobb County should be Marietta, and, it is. That's the area that should be made even more urban. And Smyrna's core should be made to be more urban, compact, dense, walkable. And maybe Vinings around the village. But Cumberland was never intended or designed to be anything more than what it is- a primarily cars-based area where you can also walk. That said, as an employment area they do need a transit station.
The geography of Cumberland does not make it easy to be walkable either. It's very hilly.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:43 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,891,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
cqholt you have to start some where. It take a lot of projected over time to redevelop a edge city denser. From where it was this a huge step forward.

On the contrary the Cumberlasnd area is a edge city it isn't random place people just hope to develop more urban. There's a purpose and reason to do it. Urbanism is getting the residential back mix with employment area.

one of trade marks of sprawl is the drastic separation between employment area and residential. Density in the Cumberland area will help decrease the need for travel giving more options to live near work.
So they start by creating blank walls on the outside of the development, which will see more development? I honestly don't understand why they left those garages exposed, that could have been revenue generating apartments, with ground floor retail. Also, the lack of any integration with Cobb Pkwy.

Old 04-04-2017, 02:02 PM

1,054 posts, read 923,386 times
Quote:
So they start by creating blank walls on the outside of the development, which will see more development? I honestly don't understand why they left those garages exposed, that could have been revenue generating apartments, with ground floor retail. Also, the lack of any integration with Cobb Pkwy.
I agree with this, the external buildings should have engaged more.

Old 04-04-2017, 02:17 PM

32,032 posts, read 36,829,063 times
Quote:
So they start by creating blank walls on the outside of the development, which will see more development? I honestly don't understand why they left those garages exposed, that could have been revenue generating apartments, with ground floor retail.
I don't know why developers are so resistant to doing that but they do it all the time. Look at those parking decks at the Georgia Aquarium, for example.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7645...7i13312!8i6656

Old 04-04-2017, 02:21 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,891,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I don't know why developers are so resistant to doing that but they do it all the time. Look at those parking decks at the Georgia Aquarium, for example.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7645...7i13312!8i6656
Yep, could have been apartments and much needed residents to Downtown.

Old 04-04-2017, 02:40 PM

23,488 posts, read 44,141,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Your not even responding to the commentary, your ignored what was said like it wasn't, and just responding.

The commentary said the CID were founded by the the community businesses to supported the interest of the community.

Then I showed you how much the CID is boasting STP and them stating the economics benefits.

So if there was "PR" it's from the Business community itself.
What I ignore is half-baked, media-spun ballyhoo, which is about all you've offered so far.

Old 04-04-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
What I ignore is half-baked, media-spun ballyhoo, which is about all you've offered so far.
nah

I posted the business community organization

You argument suppose to be the STP is against the business community when it's literally the business community The CID that lobbied and are boasting about it in the first place.

You couldn't respond at "the commentary" so you respond saying nothing.

Old 04-04-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
I agree with this

My point is you criticize it because you want Cobb and Cumberland to succeed.

Some posters here are doing it cause they want Cumberland to fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta