Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 06:33 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,034,963 times

Advertisements

I'll be looking to buy a house in one of those two areas. Which area would you choose and why? Which has better schools, lower crime, and better activities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 07:24 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,314,122 times
Are you working, and if so, where's your job? Both are good places to live, but each will be better for different work locations.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:56 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,256,042 times
I chose to buy in ITP Vinings, largely because of the relative affordability of condos around here (often more affordable than OTP Dunwoody/Perimeter Center, and a lot more affordable than Buckhead and Midtown), plus the closer proximity to Midtown, both distance wise and time wise.

Also I just like the area. It's really nice, in every direction. The west side of the city of Atlanta is getting better and better with the years, and Smyrna is also getting better and better with the years. Both are starting to have lots of dining and retail options and such, and I'm sure that will only increase. Plus, Vinings itself, the downtown area of Vinings has tons of stuff.

The Dunwoody Village area is nice I guess, but I think Perimeter Center is the most cookie cutter suburban area I've ever seen in my life. I guess it's good if you really love chain stores. And then most of the rest of Dunwoody is subdivisions.

Personally I'd go with Sandy Springs over Dunwoody, any day. Especially proximate to Roswell Rd. Just feels so much more real and vibrant, to me.

But Vinings has been pretty great to me, and overall I love it around here. Plan to likely stay for a long while.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I chose to buy in ITP Vinings, largely because of the relative affordability of condos around here (often more affordable than OTP Dunwoody/Perimeter Center, and a lot more affordable than Buckhead and Midtown), plus the closer proximity to Midtown, both distance wise and time wise.

Also I just like the area. It's really nice, in every direction. The west side of the city of Atlanta is getting better and better with the years, and Smyrna is also getting better and better with the years. Both are starting to have lots of dining and retail options and such, and I'm sure that will only increase. Plus, Vinings itself, the downtown area of Vinings has tons of stuff.

The Dunwoody Village area is nice I guess, but I think Perimeter Center is the most cookie cutter suburban area I've ever seen in my life. I guess it's good if you really love chain stores. And then most of the rest of Dunwoody is subdivisions.

Personally I'd go with Sandy Springs over Dunwoody, any day. Especially proximate to Roswell Rd. Just feels so much more real and vibrant, to me.

But Vinings has been pretty great to me, and overall I love it around here. Plan to likely stay for a long while.
If commute is not an issue or is no different between the two, I would choose Vinings over Dunwoody as well, for most of the reasons you listed.

Old 04-15-2017, 10:44 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,992,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post

This is absolutely true. The only thing I'd add is that if public schools are a priority, I would choose Sandy Springs. The elementary schools in true Vinings (Teasley) and in Smyrna/Vinings (King Springs) are ok, Campbell middle is eh, Campbell high school--well, it's possible to do well there, of course, but it is pretty rough around the edges and it isn't a great choice for every kid.

If you just are thinking only as far as elementary, I'd go with Vinings. If you're already in need of a middle or high school, I would drill down on schools in Dunwoody and Sandy Springs. Riverwood is good in Sandy Springs. Dunwoody High seems pretty good--but I don't know the Dunwoody schools as well. If you really need schools, Chamblee could be on your list as well, for decent middle, high schools.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:28 AM

46 posts, read 47,143 times
Dunwoody and Vinnings are not apples to apples imo.

Dunwoody is extremely affluent and borderlines on opulent in some areas off Spaulding Dr. for example. It is however very residential and can have an East Cobb vibration to it. Dunwoody commingles with Sandy Springs and is very far from cookie cutter. Sandy Springs is becoming Buckhead 2.0. The entire Vinings area would be a little quiet on the developmental front if it wasnt for the Suntrust Park. Several high rises and major North American headquarters (like Mercedes Benz) are being built in the Sandy Springs/Dunwoody Area. Dunwoody also offers a range of high level and high performance primary and private schools.

Simply put, Vinings is gorgeous and is ITP. Vinings is lush, well developed and has an above average median HHI.

Dunwoody is OTP but is literally engulfed in flames in terms of development. New apartment complexes and luxury town homes are popping up everywhere. Just drive down Roswell road and see for yourself - nothing but cranes and building frames.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:39 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflux300 View Post
Dunwoody and Vinnings are not apples to apples imo.

Dunwoody is extremely affluent and borderlines on opulent in some areas off Spaulding Dr. for example. It is however very residential and can have an East Cobb vibration to it. Dunwoody commingles with Sandy Springs and is very far from cookie cutter. Sandy Springs is becoming Buckhead 2.0. The entire Vinings area would be a little quiet on the developmental front if it wasnt for the Suntrust Park. Several high rises and major North American headquarters (like Mercedes Benz) are being built in the Sandy Springs/Dunwoody Area. Dunwoody also offers a range of high level and high performance primary and private schools.

Simply put, Vinings is gorgeous and is ITP. Vinings is lush, well developed and has an above average median HHI.

Dunwoody is OTP but is literally engulfed in flames in terms of development. New apartment complexes and luxury town homes are popping up everywhere. Just drive down Roswell road and see for yourself - nothing but cranes and building frames.
Bolded is not exactly accurate. Poster appears to be talking about Sandy Springs.

Dunwoody has lots of development around Perimter Center, but the residential Dunwoody is nice. Lots depends on what you are looking for in a house. Also, Dunwoody has great access to several different MARTA stations.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:51 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,856,309 times
Roswell Rd. is in Sandy Springs, not Dunwoody. Look at zip code 30338.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:06 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,034,963 times
Thanks for the inputs! I'm looking at Sandy Springs (30328). I didn't know that Sandy Springs and Dunwoody are two separate areas.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Thanks for the inputs! I'm looking at Sandy Springs (30328). I didn't know that Sandy Springs and Dunwoody are two separate areas.
They are two different cities and are actually not even in the same county, with Dunwoody in Dekalb and Sandy Springs in Fulton. That said, you could certainly be forgiven for not seeing much difference between the two, as the dividing line runs pretty much smack through the heart of the Perimeter Center area, and within a few miles either side of that line, both cities have pretty similar character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta