Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 08:15 PM

52 posts, read 97,704 times

Advertisements

Well after 10+ years after renting, I am finally considering on purchasing a home. I've gone through my budget and expenses and ideally am looking for something around the $225K range. Am open to other structures but am leaning towards a 2-3 BR with 2 BA townhome. At the min I would like 1,200 sqft but something 1,500+ sqft would be more ideal. A couple other benefits is somewhere with a neighborhood pool and a small backyard.

1. Budget - $200,000 - $250,000

2. House/Condo/Townhome? Townhome

3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) Commute to Sandy Springs 3 days a week / work from home 2 days. Location to work not a huge priority has I might change jobs within the next few months.

4. Children(public school vs. private) No Children

5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - I would say mix of two. Not trying to be in middle of downtown Atlanta but looking something like a 'city feel'. Where I can walk to a few convenience stores, drug stores, bar/restaurants, dry cleaning etc... Doesn't have to be ITP, open to OTP as well.

6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? No

7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. - Young professional. Preferably looking somewhere where can meet my some of my friendly neighbors and where everyone just does not keep to themselves.

I am just starting this process and know i have a lot of work to do. Are there townhomes like my above preferences within my budget? Can anyone suggest some cool neighborhoods/areas that I should take a look at?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 08:36 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
Switch that to 2 bedroom condo, and you have a lot of good options. Townhome, not so much in that range.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:39 PM

Actually, I take that back. Here are a couple of townhome listings in your range, in my area:

Homes.com

Homes.com

Wow, some good deals.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:43 PM

And here's a nice condo in Vinings Village, with hardwoods:

Homes.com

High walk score.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:02 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
I guess the definition of "nice" is subjective.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:12 PM

I mean, the outside is nothing special, but it's a really great location, perfect for all OP's preferences they mentioned, and it has a nice interior and 3 bedrooms. And it's exactly OP's budget.

Mid 50's walk score, and you can walk to a QT and a drug store, in addition to the restaurants and shopping in the village, and it's on a scenic lake... and it's ITP, with an Atlanta address, and a Paces Ferry address... hard to find that for that price.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:20 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,360,592 times
Townhomes in my neighborhood in "Upper Westside", AKA the area in between Bolton and Underwood Hills, have been going for around $240k for a 3 BR/3.5BA with 1352 sq.ft. and one-car garage. It's a gated community with guard, dog park, and pool. The HOA is kind of steep, but it covers a lot (disclosure: it's also high due to land-based structural deficiencies being repaired). If you read up, you'll find lots of complaints about parking. There is more parking here than any other comparable townhome development, but it is heavily restricted after massive issues years ago, so some residents can't handle it.

But, this month, the new Publix shopping center is supposed to open within walking distance. And within a year, two more walkable mixed-use developments are opening. We expect our values to go up quite a bit. The location offers quick and easy access to downtown and midtown, usually with little traffic even at peak times, and pretty easy access to Sandy Springs and Buckhead.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Townhomes in my neighborhood in "Upper Westside", AKA the area in between Bolton and Underwood Hills, have been going for around $240k for a 3 BR/3.5BA with 1352 sq.ft. and one-car garage. It's a gated community with guard, dog park, and pool. The HOA is kind of steep, but it covers a lot (disclosure: it's also high due to land-based structural deficiencies being repaired). If you read up, you'll find lots of complaints about parking. There is more parking here than any other comparable townhome development, but it is heavily restricted after massive issues years ago, so some residents can't handle it.

But, this month, the new Publix shopping center is supposed to open within walking distance. And within a year, two more walkable mixed-use developments are opening. We expect our values to go up quite a bit. The location offers quick and easy access to downtown and midtown, usually with little traffic even at peak times, and pretty easy access to Sandy Springs and Buckhead.
I think it's crazy that the Westside is cheaper than most of Sandy Springs right now. Sandy Springs is great, but Westside is even better, and it's about to really boom after all that planned development circa Marietta Blvd opens. Like you said, values will soon go way up everywhere around there. Get in now if you can.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:09 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Yeah, outside is gross but inside appears pretty cool.

What do you think the story of this property is? I mean, from the outside, it just screams, "I'm a converted apartment!!!!" but cathedral ceilings and two story interiors are pretty unheard of for apartments. Maybe they did a massive renovation and combined units to make larger condos????

Old 05-02-2017, 11:39 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,938 times
I live in Smyrna and you could get an older townhome for that price

In my neighborhood you could get a 2 bedroom that has been partially upgraded. We are within 1-2 miles of everything you noted but I would not call that everyday walking distance.

Have you figured in Association Fees in that budget. I live in a fee simple townhome so there are no fees but you must pay all repairs. Fees on other townhomes can range from 200 = 500+ per month.

You can find that price range but they go very very quickly so you need to look often and be ready to commit when you see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta