Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 08:08 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,753,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Well, we certainly don't think the same way as I am very pro red light cameras.

Just exactly how familiar are you with L.A., and how often are you there?

I will tell you that the insane behavior seen here on a daily basis is simply not tolerated there, traffic and congestion rankings be damned.

Generally people who live in a city with "bad" traffic will generally think their city is worse because they are in said city more than other cities with bad traffic. A similar comparison could be cat food. Say Atlanta was known for having bad cat food. There are other cities with bad cat food. Let's just say for example NYC and LA has the worst cat food. If we asked the average person in Atlanta how is the cat food here they will say its horrible because they are used to bad cat food but if we asked them to compare it to cat food in LA or NYC they will say it's just as bad because they are used to eating bad cat food here even though they haven't experienced all the cat food in those other cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 08:20 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,937,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Generally people who live in a city with "bad" traffic will generally think their city is worse because they are in said city more than other cities with bad traffic. A similar comparison could be cat food. Say Atlanta was known for having bad cat food. There are other cities with bad cat food. Let's just say for example NYC and LA has the worst cat food. If we asked the average person in Atlanta how is the cat food here they will say its horrible because they are used to bad cat food but if we asked them to compare it to cat food in LA or NYC they will say it's just as bad because they are used to eating bad cat food here even though they haven't experienced all the cat food in those other cities
So you aren't familiar with L.A. at all, and have no idea what you are talking about.

Got it.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
So you aren't familiar with L.A. at all, and have no idea what you are talking about.

Got it.
Not into going back and forth. You have a right to your opinion

Old 07-13-2017, 09:06 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,711,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
That's because there is not enough funding for Georgia State Patrol. Put more state troopers on the freeways and you can watch some of that **** finally start to dwindle.
Not true anymore. GDOT or SRTA have been funding numerous troopers groups hence why you see so many troopers now on I-75 and I-85 OTP.

The main issue is no cut outs on our interstates to prevent rubbernecking and such so you have very few places where cops can safely patrol to catch speeders.

Dekalb has certain areas that it enforces well (Moreland Avenue, 675, Church Street, Memorial Drive). Same for the tri cities between 85 and 75 (Sandy Springs, Dunwoody and Doraville).

You rarely ever see troopers on 285 on the east side. They seem to patrol the western side of 285 well.

I don't drive the interstates as much anymore so I'm not sure about the speeds anymore but I do agree with the other poster about most of the issues come from people who hold up the #1 and #2 lanes. It may just be me but too many people cruise in the #2 lane. IMHO, a lot of people in the #2 lane should be in the #3 lane. #1 and 2 are for passing and moving back and forth when passing traffic. Many time, people are in the #2 lane who going slower than the passing lane which causes a major danger imho.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:07 AM

Americans in general suck at driving

Driving: Germans >>>> Americans

Old 07-13-2017, 10:09 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,644,846 times
Quote:
Well, we certainly don't think the same way as I am very pro red light cameras.

Just exactly how familiar are you with L.A., and how often are you there?

I will tell you that the insane behavior seen here on a daily basis is simply not tolerated there, traffic and congestion rankings be damned.
Red Light cameras cause more crashes than they prevent and they are only installed as a revenue generator as well (Study: Red Light Cameras Ineffective, Cause More Accidents | Big Think).

Old 07-13-2017, 12:40 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,140,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
At what time of day is it possible to go at least 90 mph on 400? Not during daylight hours...

After 9:30am Northbound and after 7pm Southbound, trust me I see it daily btwn Alpharetta and the Perimeter.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:55 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,140,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Since speed limits have zero to do with safety or deterring behavior, and everything to do with collection of revenue for the state, it sounds like the law is a smashing success. You should start worrying if people start slowing down. If that happens, the legislators will have to look into new laws to generate revenue otherways.
If the speed limit is 65 and the general flow of traffic is 65-75, people going 80-90+ are a danger, as many of the times they are constantly switching lanes to maintain that speed, since they are going much faster than the general flow of traffic.

Try going 50mph in a residential area and say it has nothing to do with safety. Even at highway speeds, swerving at 60-80+ mph causes alot of these rollover crashes, although stability control has reduced those big times now adays.

Im sure if they wanted more revenue, they could pull people over all day for no use of indicator or tailgating and make millions.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:04 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,240,118 times
Just put some damn traffic cops out on the roads and this problem improves significantly. IMO, this is total negligence on the part of our local governments.

Our current slew of terrible drivers is due to the near total lack of consequences

Old 07-13-2017, 03:20 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
If people would stop driving slow in the fast Lane this wouldn't happen
There is a tendency not just to drive slow in the fast lane, but to drive the same speed side by side across all the lanes. But I think they would be all over anyway. If someone is driving 110 and the guy in front is only doing 75, they will switch lanes to pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta