Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 07:20 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,757,174 times

Advertisements

I was in NYC recently and I used their subway my entire time up there. I almost wanted to cry when I came back here riding MARTA . I been to NYC plenty of times b4 but this was my first time using mass transit my entire trip there. I stayed in Midtown across the street from Grand Central Station. I choose that area because it flew out of LGA and the 7 train runs directly from Grand Central Station (GCS) to LGA. GCS also had a shuttle train that goes to Times Sq station that has the 7, 1,2,3,R,W,Q and N train so if you want to go to just about anyone in NYC you can just go to the Times Square station and more than likely the train you want is there.

24 hour system. Was riding the subway at 3am in Manhattan and it was still crowded. Even if your train was slow you can just get on another train since several trains run on the same line. Imagine if we had 24 hour service especially for all the 3rd shift workers that do not have a car or for the people out partying.

Express trains everywhere. I got on several of them by accident and we were just speeding by all these subway stops going as fast as they can. Some places I went where like 25+ stops away so catching the express train really helps. Imagine if MARTA was out in Cobb and Gwinnett etc and they could catch a express train from like Lawrenceville all the way to Doraville.

Commuter rail coming onto the city from every direction possible.

I never had to wait over 2 mins for a train no matter what time of the day it was. See how long you have to wait on MARTA on the weekends or outside of rush hour

12 subway cars. I know this is a must in NYC.

Multiple routes to get to your destination. Was in Coney Island and my friends lived in Jamaica Queens. They were deciding on the fastest way to get back home because he had several options to choose from. Secretly I was like

I know people love comparing NYC transit to DC and Chicago but it doesn't even compare. Sure MTA has to run this way being in the largest city in America but Atlanta and the rest of the subways system across the country could learn a lot from MTA. 24 hour service and the express trains are incredible.

Yes Atlanta we got a long ways to go. Hopefully one-day before I die we can be at least 40% of what MTA is.

I used to always go at that NY troll that comes in here every 3 months asking about our mass transit because her relatives live in south Atlanta. I will never say anything negative to her again about this because now I understand what she meant. Like I said I have ridden subways across this country and across Europe since 2000. This time was different because I actually live across the street from MARTA so I use it more often now than years ago when I would just use it to go to the airport or to a concert downtown

Last edited by fieldm; 07-18-2017 at 07:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 07:27 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,275,900 times
Atlanta metropolitan area is about 1/4 the population of NY metropolitan area, so therefore we should have 1/4 the transit system.

Which would be, a whole lot better than we have now. They have 16 commuter rail lines, so we should have 4 (we have 0), and they have nearing 500 subway stations, so, in theory we should have over 100 (we have 38).

Old 07-18-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Atlanta metropolitan area is about 1/4 the population of NY metropolitan area, so therefore we should have 1/4 the transit system.

Which would be, a whole lot better than we have now. They have 16 commuter rail lines, so we should have 4 (we have 0), and they have nearing 500 subway stations, so, in theory we should have over 100 (we have 38).
I'm talking more of the express trains, 24 hour service, not having to have to wait more than a couple of mins for a train no matter what time of the day it is, multiple routes to get to a destination, etc.

Yes I know I can't compare Metro Atlanta to NYC especially in the population and urban department but can we at least get some commuter rail lines OTP, expand MARTA OTP which would make the demand higher for MARTA so they can add more trains so I don't have to wait 10+ mins for a train on the weekend or outside of rush hour. That's all I'm asking. I wish I could get every politician in Metro Atlanta to go to Midtown Manhattan for a week and be forced to ride the subway. They would have a different opinion on mass transit immediately.

The only advantage that MARTA has is connecting directly to our airport and being able to buy a one day pass

Old 07-18-2017, 07:45 PM

23,488 posts, read 44,141,494 times
Be patient. NYC has about a 100 year jump on us, and there were no automobiles in the mix for much of that period, either.
Besides, it was a very different political environment. Back then, if the mayor wanted it, it happened...no back and forth.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:59 PM

4 posts, read 16,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
The only advantage that MARTA has is connecting directly to our airport and being able to buy a one day pass
Here are some more advantages of MARTA:
- not crowded, I can get a seat every commute if I choose to sit. In both Boston and N.Y. I used to have to ride an outbound train to find a place where the train wasn't as crowded so that I could even get onto a jammed train at rush hour or leave for work 2 hours early
- hardly ever breaks down. I've had to walk through the tunnel to a station 7 times in Boston due top dead third rail or fire. Seven! Frequently dumped of trains that was going out of service in N.Y. Only once in Atlanta.
- comfort. I'm not sure what it is but the stations in Atlanta are pleasant in the middle of winter and the middle of summer. Obviously it's a lot colder in NY in the winter but for some reason the stations are also a lot hotter there in the summer.
- free parking!
- MARTA is a refuge of solitude compared to frequent panhandlers and nutcases infesting the transit system in NY

I've only been a daily rider for about a year but I love riding MARTA rail. It's fantastic for what it is and I hope it stays that way.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:07 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,777,106 times
Part of the problem is that parking in Atlanta is still too easy to find and is relatively inexpensive. The Cost Benefit of Public Transportation vs. Driving still favors driving.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:12 PM

643 posts, read 572,242 times
Pathetic thread. Sad.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:16 PM

23,488 posts, read 44,141,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHonchoATL View Post
Pathetic thread. Sad.
Why is it that I always envision you making fart noises with your armpit when you make comments like that?

Old 07-18-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Be patient. NYC has about a 100 year jump on us, and there were no automobiles in the mix for much of that period, either.
Besides, it was a very different political environment. Back then, if the mayor wanted it, it happened...no back and forth.
True.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdm28 View Post
Here are some more advantages of MARTA:
- not crowded, I can get a seat every commute if I choose to sit. In both Boston and N.Y. I used to have to ride an outbound train to find a place where the train wasn't as crowded so that I could even get onto a jammed train at rush hour or leave for work 2 hours early
- hardly ever breaks down. I've had to walk through the tunnel to a station 7 times in Boston due top dead third rail or fire. Seven! Frequently dumped of trains that was going out of service in N.Y. Only once in Atlanta.
- comfort. I'm not sure what it is but the stations in Atlanta are pleasant in the middle of winter and the middle of summer. Obviously it's a lot colder in NY in the winter but for some reason the stations are also a lot hotter there in the summer.
- free parking!
- MARTA is a refuge of solitude compared to frequent panhandlers and nutcases infesting the transit system in NY

I've only been a daily rider for about a year but I love riding MARTA rail. It's fantastic for what it is and I hope it stays that way.
Yeah free parking is great especially after paying almost $10 per day to park in DC at Greenbelt station
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta