Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 01:09 PM

306 posts, read 328,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
I think Cumberland Mall is the absolute best...very classy and they have the best stores

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 04:26 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,362,007 times
Cumberland and its offerings really reminds me of Southlake Mall with better restaurants: nice sized Sear's and Macy's, Morrow even has a Cost Co in the Southlake area. This IS NOT meant to be knocking Cumberland Mall: being the closest shopping center to me, I spend A LOT of time and money at Southlake Mall. That said, when I REALLY want to do heavy duty shopping or get something REALLY SPECIAL, I head uptown to Lenox Square/ Phipps Plaza where the selections are vast and they have a huge variety of stores. I suspect that most people in Metro Atlanta, including folks around Cumberland, do the very same thing. None of the other malls compare, period, in my opinion.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:37 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Cumberland and its offerings really reminds me of Southlake Mall with better restaurants: nice sized Sear's and Macy's, Morrow even has a Cost Co in the Southlake area. This IS NOT meant to be knocking Cumberland Mall: being the closest shopping center to me, I spend A LOT of time and money at Southlake Mall. That said, when I REALLY want to do heavy duty shopping or get something REALLY SPECIAL, I head uptown to Lenox Square/ Phipps Plaza where the selections are vast and they have a huge variety of stores. I suspect that most people in Metro Atlanta, including folks around Cumberland, do the very same thing. None of the other malls compare, period, in my opinion.
This. And I personally put Perimeter in the tier right below Lenox/Phipps, not Cumberland.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:54 PM

1,054 posts, read 922,325 times
I live 1 mile away from it and would never go to Cumberland if it didn't have an Apple store. Don't go to Lenox or Phipps much anymore either but I'd much rather go either of those.

I don't think Costco is really considered part of the mall, I do go there once a month or so.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:36 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,285 times
Agree with whodean and JMatl

I live 1 mile from Cumberland and run in/out of Macy's or Soma a few times a year. I basically don't do mall shopping at all anymore. But my first choice for serious shopping is Perimeter.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:24 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
Agree with whodean and JMatl

I live 1 mile from Cumberland and run in/out of Macy's or Soma a few times a year. I basically don't do mall shopping at all anymore. But my first choice for serious shopping is Perimeter.
I've always liked Perimeter for a non-Lenox/Phipps trip to a mall. I'm a big Nordstrom fan, and their Perimeter store is one of their largest.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:39 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,362,007 times
Perimeter WOULD be a tier below Lenox/Phipps. It is nice. I must admit to preferring Von Maur over Nordstrom, though, just a personal preference. It still would not be my "destination" for a mega shopping trip: from the southside I would have to pass the really nice Dillard's in Midtown (the closest one to my Clayton County home, by the way) AND Lenox Square/ Phipps Plaza. Also, the Perimeter Center area is a traffic nightmare (don't tell me to take MARTA, both the northeast line (Lenox Station) AND the north line (Buckhead Station) ALSO stop uptown in the shopping district FIRST) For us southsiders, Lenox Square/ Phipps Plaza checks off the convenience quotient, too. That said, I would be DELIGHTED if Perimeter was my local suburban shopping center. I'd say the same for North Point. ;0)

Old 09-06-2017, 08:09 PM

454 posts, read 821,395 times
I still shop mainly at Lennox and Phipps as you can only buy certain nice brands at either mall (Saks, Neimen etc). Perimeter is a step below in availability of nicer brands.. i was in Lenox last weekend, parking was packed and generally one wing leading to Neimen Marcus is always very nice. Other parts are more downmarket and i have noticed deadbeat kids walking around buying nothing.

If anything the shops of Buckhead are threatening these Malls as a good few boutiques have moved there on the higher end. When you buy high end you also want a nice experience which is something all Malls need to think about.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:50 PM

719 posts, read 1,332,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
My understanding is that Belk is leaving Phipps and the property will be converted to a Diamond Level Lifetime Fitness

Wow if that happens that would be great. For me though, diamond is still outta my range. Paying 165+ for a gym membership is crazy... It's like either pay that or be stuck with LAF which to me gets crappier every year.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:53 PM

719 posts, read 1,332,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
Lenox kinda goes thru cycles I think, in the late 90s it very much was the hang out on the weekends for local kids. That was my first experience going out socially, head uptown with some guys from my neighborhood back around like 13-15 y/o. Then they remolded it and I think that calmed down a little, as going to Lenox wasn't considered to be cool anymore, or maybe it was just among folks I knew. Question though, cuz I was the under the impression that Lenox was the hang out for gay dudes on the wknds, least that's how it's seemed to me the last 5-7 years, is that the crowd the OP is referring to? I will say that has turned me off from Lenox on the weekends, it's not like they doing illegal stuff as much as just being extra, but it is to the point where I would rather go to Lenox during the week. I'm pretty sure that's when they make most of their money anyway, walk thru Lenox at 11 AM on a Tuesday and you see people spending money, a lot of it. Just look at the women walking around and you can kinda tell that's when all the real money comes to play. The Louis Vuitton store there is one the highest grossing LV stores in the world, and most of their stuff is sold when most folks are at work or school
It's nationally known as a cruising spot. So yes, the gays will be there. Don't let it bother you though. Anytime you're in an area with great shopping, furniture stores etc, there will be a large LGBT social scene...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta